discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:14

I remember some pretty heated arguments in grade school over which was better, the Atari 2600 or ColecoVision.

/the correct answer is ColecoVision

#62 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:21

Dirty larry said it best

Imo, too many tiny dick selfish crybabies, who forget they're talking to actual people, and not slave units, (by that I mean playing against the console/computer..)

#63 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:22

When did it become hostile? Probably around 1975 with the introduction of networked multiplayer gaming. Perhaps more realistically though, with the introduction of communication in to gaming. As the delivery of messages has sped up - from typing a response to being able to just say it and have the other players hear you - people tend to think less about what they say, and so they voice their frustration quicker.

That's the way I see it, anyway. At the end of the day I don't mind. I find it difficult to be insulted by someone whose voice hasn't yet broken. :laugh:

#64 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• 1,003 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:55

Gaming became hostile when it became competitive.  It's a natural outcome.  The times you think it wasn't hostile was likely when one company was dominating so there was really no one to be seriously hostile with.

Starting with the NES (technically considered the 3rd generation of video game consoles but there was a large gap between the 2nd and 3rd were the industry practically ceased to exist).  The NES sold over 5x its nearest competitor (Sega Master System)... No real competition there.

The SNES and Sega Genesis were actually pretty close and I remember the rivalry getting pretty heated then but before it could turn into anything too big the PlayStation came out in the next generation and destroyed both Sega and Nintendo in sales.  So once again with the PS selling more than 3x it's nearest rival (N64) and the Sega Saturn getting only a small fraction of that the industry calmed down a bit with a single clearly dominant player.

The next generation saw Sony extend that lead with the PS2 selling over 6x it's nearest rival (Xbox) so once again there was not much hostility.

Things just ramped up again with the PS3/Xbox 360 because once again they were neck and neck and the one with the edge (especially early) was unseating the one who won the prior two generations.  That console generation also lasted unusually long and now a new one has finally launched that rivalry is rekindled.  If one starts regularly having multiple times the sales of the other though things will die down because there won't be much competition again but it's WAY too early to tell that right now and if things DO stay close (the sales of the leader being less than double the 2nd place) then you can expect it to stay hostile.  So again, the hostility is a natural (though unfortunate) side effect of an overall good thing... strong competition.

#65 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,686 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 16:51

I'm an old time gamer like some of you here and I have to agree with Dirty Larry's assessment.

The introduction of the internet was a big reason that the idea around 'console wars' really took off.

Before then, the affect was much more tame. The 'bit wars' of the early 90s were down right calm compared to today and recent years. During that time, it was mostly the marketing teams of various companies fighting the war. There was not this legion of console warriors that went on the war path for thier favorite platform.

I also think that those of use that have been gaming for decades have a much different perspective than the new generation of gamers. Society/cultures have changed a lot from when we were growing up. Combine that with the anonymity of the internet and you get what we have now. Virtual gangs that will rise up and crush the side they oppose.

#66 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:04

Ive only read the 1st page but..

Gaming got hostile soon as yo Momma got involved!!! B*****!!

#67 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,722 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:07

The internet mainly has caused this. I agree 100% with DirtyLarry. Plus he put much more eloquently than i would have :laugh:

I'm an old school gamer and nowadays really dislike the majority of the gaming community.

I understand people like one thing more than another but it is the aggression people have nowadays.

So yeah, it is the anonymous voice of the Internet that has caused this, but it isn't just gaming. Everything nowadays online has to be an argument not a discussion.

I bet if you met some of these people in the real world they are probably decent people. Some though probably aren't even allowed out.

It is mainly the youth who have been bought up by the Internet who have this attitude.

#68 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,166 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:11

fanboyism....or however you want to call it...has always been.  It is the media and how fast info is spread, and all the ways people have to comment and post their opinions, which has made this a big issue and widespread.

#69 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

• 500 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 18:57

Probably the Xbox 360 / ps3 generation is when the majority of people had the internet. Then all of a sudden there was an army of keyboard warriors because anyone with a keyboard and internet connection could get their voice heard.

#70 NightmarE D

NightmarE D

Proud father

• 3,426 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 19:24

Never had any friends argue about one system being better than another. Most of my friends all had the same systems: NES, SNES and Genesis.

First time I ever seen any hostility was in an arcade. Was playing some older guy in Street Fighter 2 and kept beating him with Ken and Ryu. He would only use Chun-Li and did nothing but her kick move and that move she had where you could stomp on the other players head while jumping over them. He started screaming then said he'd take me down in Mortal Kombat. He had no clue I played it daily and I beat him once with Sub-Zero ending of course by ripping his head off and he screamed and put his hand through the plex-glass that protects the monitor. He went through enough that he hit the monitor and caused one of the top brackets to snap.

I'll never forget that. Guys hand was screwed and owner of the arcade was calling the cops and had people blocking all the doors so he couldn't leave. I was standing there laughing because I found it hilarious someone would get that mad over a video game. Still find it hilarious to this day. I rarely play online these days, but anytime I do and hear the whiners that keep losing because they can't be bothered to actually learn any skill required to play the game or trolls talking trash I just crack up and how pathetic they all are.

Same with all these people arguing over Xbox One/PS4 resolution and all that crap. People forget all about how the GAMEPLAY should be the most important thing. Just play the game and have fun. People can't seem to do that anymore. They create drama about resolution and ram.