Photo

Do you like Windows 8's desktop UI?

windows 8

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like Windows 8's desktop UI?

Do you like the Windows 8 desktop UI?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

• 1,410 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:59

I like it. I just wish Microsoft allowed the desktop UI to be more customizable. That is, being able to add/create more visual styles without using a 3rd party tool like UxTheme.

#17 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• 1,802 posts
  • Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:07

I miss the drop shadow. Other then that, the desktop UI style is fine.

#18 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

• 515 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:09

I have no problems with it.

#19 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:10

I dont care for it much.  Looks like a 2yr old put the start screen together IMO.  I do not care for the ribbon menu's either.  Never liked them in Office either.  To big and takes up to much screen.  Yea, you can minimize them but thats not the point.

#20 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,757 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:31

I miss the drop shadow. Other then that, the desktop UI style is fine.

[i] still can't change font, or use dark themes because the window font color doesn't change making it unreadable.

I like the new desktop UI too, but I wish Microsoft could have kept Aero glass and classic in Windows 8, just for more personalization choices.

The only problems I have with it is, the fact that the taskbar is semi-transparent, which is kinda inconstant from the rest of the Ul and the fact they randomly decided to remove a ton of networking features from the Ul.

This pretty much sums up my experiences as well. It's a usable UI, but coming from one of the - if not the - best software development house in the world, I expect more. Custom themes to work properly, not having to hunt and peck for network UI options that were previously easy to find, and I wish I had more options - like to display drop shadows!

I picked "It's OK" because it's not a monstrosity and for the most part works well enough, but it could be so much better.

#21 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:47

Microsoft didn't really need to remove the classic and aero glass theme. Windows xp retained the classic theme for those who liked it better than luna. Removing aero glass and classic really eliminated choices for users and really nothing else. I like the new windows 8 theme and have no gripes about it, but I like the aero glass theme more.

#22 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:49

Ribbon UI: Fine, useful

"Flat" Theme with excessively large borders: Absolutely hideous, thankfully easy to fix

Lack of Aero: Disappointing, also easy to fix

Otherwise it's not that different from Windows 7 now I installed startisback, Bigmuscle's glass plugin, "Tinywindowsborders" from WinAero to reduce the border size, and the less hideous release preview theme that isn't "flat".

As it is out of the box however? Pretty horrid.