PS4 DOA?

Well,  I'm not sure if it is karma or what, but I think my PS4 is DOA.   I saw it was delivered and left on the porch, so when I got off work for lunch I went and got it (had been outside for almost an hour).    Took it inside, got it all unpacked and hooked up.

When I power it on, the system beeps once, and the blue light bar just pulses.   I didn't get a chance to try other HDMI cables or TVs, however I am done work in an hour or so.  

I had just gotten the TV yesterday so it is a modern TV and I made sure it was 100% up to date.  The TV has 3 HDMI ports I tried all 3, the TV Detects the cable plugged in but no video comes through.  

When I get done work I am going to try changing the outlet the PS4 is plugged into,  try with a different HDMI cable.   If neither of the above work, will try with another TV.   If I still can't get video I'll give the Safemode a try, however I found that holding on the power after it started didn't seem to do anything.   I can hear what sounds like the HDD Spin up when I start it but worst case I will open it up and double check the HDD.

Im not sure if maybe because it was sitting outside in the cold it may have been affect, but as it is inside now it should be warm enough.

If none of the above gets it going.. I'll just go step by step through the Checklist on the "Blinking blue lights" info page.

Ok that just sucks.

I really hope one of the troubleshooting methods works for you. If it doesn't, you may have a bit of a wait to get a replacement :(

I'm even more worried that something is going to happen to mine.

Seems like one of the reported issues with the launch consoles. Did you buy it from Amazon?

Yep, got it from Amazon.ca one of the "Launch Editions".

I don't know why you'd need to have a TV "updated" for your PS4 to work.  I would call Amazon immediately and exchange it for another PS4

Ok that just sucks.

I really hope one of the troubleshooting methods works for you. If it doesn't, you may have a bit of a wait to get a replacement :(

I'm even more worried that something is going to happen to mine.

Yea, my plan is try and troubleshoot it HDMI, TV, etc if I can't get it going then I will just call up Amazon.

I don't know why you'd need to have a TV "updated" for your PS4 to work.  I would call Amazon immediately and exchange it for another PS4

Nor do I, however it is one of the things on Sonys' "try this" list.

Is there a definite correlation between DOA consoles and Amazon, or is that just rumours?

Not sure, from what I read most of the Amazon PS4s were manufactured in one of the poorer factories to be made in (more anger from workers).

The problem is that Amazon is only offering refunds, not exchanges. They simply don't have any stock to exchange it.

The problem is that Amazon is only offering refunds, not exchanges. They simply don't have any stock to exchange it.

I sure hope that's not the case.  I know Sony said there was a 3-5 week return rate (2-5 days for box,  3-5 weeks for console).

This is unacceptable for this many PS4s to have these problems. 

Is there a definite correlation between DOA consoles and Amazon, or is that just rumours?

IF the PS4s that are having major problems are coming from Amazon, I wonder if it was just that shipment that has problems.

Nor do I, however it is one of the things on Sonys' "try this" list.

Looks like it. Some say that 33% of all the consoles Amazon shipped were defective in some way or DOA. There was even a story on the front page about the possibility of deliberate sabotage (is there any other kind?) at the Foxconn plant.

Don't waste any more time on it, contact Amazon and arrange for a replacement.

If they only offer refunds, perhaps get a refund and try to find one in a physical store near you? Or you can do what I'll do and just buy it 6 months down the line after all the kinks have been ironed out.

Looks like it. Some say that 33% of all the consoles Amazon shipped were defective in some way or DOA. There was even a story on the front page about the possibility of deliberate sabotage (is there any other kind?) at the Foxconn plant.

Don't waste any more time on it, contact Amazon and arrange for a replacement.

I'll do some trouble shooting when I get home, I couldn't get it into safemode when I tried earlier, but will try again.  Hoping it's nothing as if I can get it up and running now then hopefully it will remain that way, however if not then yes, my next call will be to amazon.

While viewing Neowin Spy this thread just pop up out of now where... Now I am worried :cry:

Getting mine today. Hope mine wasn't part of those bad batch PS4. :shiftyninja:

Definitely sucks, 3 more mins till I rush home and troubleshoot.   Was hoping I didn't get a bad one.. but.. it appears my hopes were for nothing  :cry:

Well, tried 4 different tvs + computer monitor.  Tried 4 different cables.  Tried 4 different outlets.   Tried to get safemode, but PS4 just powers off.  Tried with HDD in and with HDD Out no difference.  Tried horizontal and vertical positioning.   Tried moving the cable around.  No luck :'(

Well, tried 4 different tvs + computer monitor.  Tried 4 different cables.  Tried 4 different outlets.   Tried to get safemode, but PS4 just powers off.  Tried with HDD in and with HDD Out no difference.  Tried horizontal and vertical positioning.   Tried moving the cable around.  No luck :'(

My condolences on your loss.

I would try Amazon first, but as I said, they are apparently only able to offer refunds.

Don't know if this would help:

PS4 hardware issues, and what you can do to resolve them
By Polygon Staff on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:07p

Sony managed to sell more than 1 million units of the PlayStation 4 within the first 24 hours of the console's North American launch last Friday. Amid reports of technical problems prior to launch, the company told Polygon that hardware issues were isolated incidents that comprised approximately 0.4 percent of launch units.

That's a relatively low failure rate for consumer electronics, but it still means that at least 4,000 of the PS4 buyers so far are receiving systems that don't work out of the box. Here's a roundup of the problems they're experiencing, and some possible solutions being offered by Sony and by PS4 users.

BLINKING BLUE LIGHT OF DEATH

Problem: Of all the hardware problems PS4 users are suffering, this one seems to be the most prevalent. More than 26 percent of over 2,400 PS4 reviews on Amazon rate the system at one star out of five, and most of those negative reviews cite the blinking "blue light of death."

When the console boots up normally, the line of light on its top side (or its right side, if the unit is standing) is first illuminated in blue for a few seconds before turning white as the system begins to output audio and video. But for some users, the blue light never turns white ? it stays blue and starts to blink, and the PS4 never sends a signal to the television.

Solutions: A member of Sony's support team posted a troubleshooting guide for this particular issue, suggesting a throw-everything-at-the-wall approach since the blinking light appears to have a variety of causes, "including but not limited to" television compatibility issues and issues with the PS4's power supply, hard drive or other hardware.

Since it's impossible to know what the issue is by looking at the the blinking light ? with no video signal, you can't see an error code even if the system is displaying one ? Sony is recommending that users try all of the following steps. Updating the firmware on your television may solve a compatibility issue. Unplugging the PS4's power cable and plugging it back in may work; otherwise, you should check all system cables for "any conspicuous damage or anomalies," and if you identify a physical problem with one of them, you can try swapping in a pristine cable.

Next, you should open up the hard drive bay and ensure that the console's hard drive is properly seated in it. Another option is to replace the hard drive if you suspect that that's where the problem lies. Finally, you can try booting the PS4 into safe mode by holding the power button for seven seconds. There, the "initialize PS4" and "initialize PS4 (reinstall system software)" options will allow you to begin a clean installation of the system software.

More at Source: Polygon

I was hoping that the UK PS4 models will have been manufactured later than the American ones, and will avoid silly issues like misaligned HDMI ports.