• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:00

Well,  I'm not sure if it is karma or what, but I think my PS4 is DOA.   I saw it was delivered and left on the porch, so when I got off work for lunch I went and got it (had been outside for almost an hour).    Took it inside, got it all unpacked and hooked up.

When I power it on, the system beeps once, and the blue light bar just pulses.   I didn't get a chance to try other HDMI cables or TVs, however I am done work in an hour or so.  

I had just gotten the TV yesterday so it is a modern TV and I made sure it was 100% up to date.  The TV has 3 HDMI ports I tried all 3, the TV Detects the cable plugged in but no video comes through.  

When I get done work I am going to try changing the outlet the PS4 is plugged into,  try with a different HDMI cable.   If neither of the above work, will try with another TV.   If I still can't get video I'll give the Safemode a try, however I found that holding on the power after it started didn't seem to do anything.   I can hear what sounds like the HDD Spin up when I start it but worst case I will open it up and double check the HDD.

Im not sure if maybe because it was sitting outside in the cold it may have been affect, but as it is inside now it should be warm enough.

If none of the above gets it going.. I'll just go step by step through the Checklist on the "Blinking blue lights" info page.

Best Answer firey , 19 November 2013 - 00:30

Well, got through.  Explained it the girl was really nice.  They are sending me a box in 2-3 business days.  After I send it back they will either repair it, or send me a new one within a week.  She said roughly out of ~1.3m consoles sent out she knows of ~2000 service requests.

Go to the full post

#2 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:05

Seems like one of the reported issues with the launch consoles. Did you buy it from Amazon?

#3 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:06

Ok that just sucks.

I really hope one of the troubleshooting methods works for you. If it doesn't, you may have a bit of a wait to get a replacement :(

I'm even more worried that something is going to happen to mine.

#4 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:10

I am sorry, I hope you get it fixed.

#5 OP firey

firey

Seems like one of the reported issues with the launch consoles. Did you buy it from Amazon?

Yep, got it from Amazon.ca one of the "Launch Editions".

#6 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

I don't know why you'd need to have a TV "updated" for your PS4 to work.  I would call Amazon immediately and exchange it for another PS4

#7 OP firey

firey

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:12

Ok that just sucks.

I really hope one of the troubleshooting methods works for you. If it doesn't, you may have a bit of a wait to get a replacement :(

I'm even more worried that something is going to happen to mine.

Yea, my plan is try and troubleshoot it HDMI, TV, etc if I can't get it going then I will just call up Amazon.

#8 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:12

Is there a definite correlation between DOA consoles and Amazon, or is that just rumours?

#9 OP firey

firey

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:13

I don't know why you'd need to have a TV "updated" for your PS4 to work.  I would call Amazon immediately and exchange it for another PS4

Nor do I, however it is one of the things on Sonys' "try this" list.

#10 OP firey

firey

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:14

Is there a definite correlation between DOA consoles and Amazon, or is that just rumours?

Not sure, from what I read most of the Amazon PS4s were manufactured in one of the poorer factories to be made in (more anger from workers).

#11 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:16

The problem is that Amazon is only offering refunds, not exchanges. They simply don't have any stock to exchange it.

#12 OP firey

firey

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:19

The problem is that Amazon is only offering refunds, not exchanges. They simply don't have any stock to exchange it.

I sure hope that's not the case.  I know Sony said there was a 3-5 week return rate (2-5 days for box,  3-5 weeks for console).

#13 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:20

This is unacceptable for this many PS4s to have these problems. 

IF the PS4s that are having major problems are coming from Amazon, I wonder if it was just that shipment that has problems.

#14 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:20

Nor do I, however it is one of the things on Sonys' "try this" list.

Looks like it. Some say that 33% of all the consoles Amazon shipped were defective in some way or DOA. There was even a story on the front page about the possibility of deliberate sabotage (is there any other kind?) at the Foxconn plant.

Don't waste any more time on it, contact Amazon and arrange for a replacement.

#15 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

Posted 18 November 2013 - 21:21

If they only offer refunds, perhaps get a refund and try to find one in a physical store near you? Or you can do what I'll do and just buy it 6 months down the line after all the kinks have been ironed out.