PS4 DOA?

@firey

If all troubleshoot efforts fails than the best thing to do is send the unit back and get a refund.. My condolences on your loss.

Just got mine, it booted up without any issue. Going to test it out for a few hours and see if any other issue pop up.

The faults aren't just with Amazon units, it would seem like that though as they offer a clear way to remonstrate against the product directly on their site. This is turning into a disaster for Sony and they've really gotta hope the EU consoles are flawless

The faults aren't just with Amazon units, it would seem like that though as they offer a clear way to remonstrate against the product directly on their site. This is turning into a disaster for Sony and they've really gotta hope the EU consoles are flawless

Yeah its pretty pathetic that we're at the point already where people have to legitimately just hope that their console will work.

@firey, I hope you get your situation worked out and don't have to wait too long to pick up a working one.

• Like 2

I know i always give you a hard time Firey and we both have our preferences, but this absolutely blows.  Best of luck getting it fixed! In the states amazon is so easy to deal with for returns/RMA's i'd probably do that if you can in Canada.. 

been on hold with sony for 20 mins so far... expecting it to be much longer.

Meant to add, I genuinely hope you get a speedy resolution to your woes

Well, got through.  Explained it the girl was really nice.  They are sending me a box in 2-3 business days.  After I send it back they will either repair it, or send me a new one within a week.  She said roughly out of ~1.3m consoles sent out she knows of ~2000 service requests.

I know i always give you a hard time Firey and we both have our preferences, but this absolutely blows.  Best of luck getting it fixed! In the states amazon is so easy to deal with for returns/RMA's i'd probably do that if you can in Canada.. 

Thanks, I had read reports that Amazon.ca was issuing refunds no exchanges (plus trooper mentioned it here).  I called Sony directly as I want the PS4 not a refund.   Was really quick and painless.

Meant to add, I genuinely hope you get a speedy resolution to your woes

Thank you, this was definitely a case of "Im sure it won't happen to me...". 

It's kind of funny, the death of a console is like losing a loved one.

Well, got through.  Explained it the girl was really nice.  They are sending me a box in 2-3 business days.  After I send it back they will either repair it, or send me a new one within a week.  She said roughly out of ~1.3m consoles sent out she knows of ~2000 service requests.

Glad everything worked out well for you. :star:

2000 huh....

By now, everyone who really wanted the new PlayStation 4 console are huddled in front of their television sets, exploring Sony?s foray into next gen gaming. I remember feeling pretty apprehensive about the new wave of consoles but Sony?s showing at E3 last June had me pumped up and and ready to be part of the zeitgeist that is Day One.

My story begins like many others, waiting with bated breath for the UPS truck to drive down my street, delivering its payload of shiny PlayStation 4s to all the girls and boys. The jolly, brown suited ?cyber-stork? came to my door at around 5:30pm and dropped off the package I was waiting all day for. When I brought it in the house, I was immediately filled with concern. As you can see in the picture below, the condition of the box suggests that my PlayStation 4 had a pretty rough journey.

The condition of the item was not good. The Amazon Prime branded packing tape was shredded and frayed in certain spots, specifically across the top and on the right side of the box (it also pulled apart pretty easily). One of the corners had been covered in packing tape, implying some sort accident or attack by a wild beast. The box for the PlayStation 4 itself was damaged, mostly on the side where the cords and controller were situated. Given that the console itself was positioned away from the damaged area, I assumed the most important piece would be just fine. Sadly, I was mistaken. The front of the machine was just fine but the back, specifically the vents on the rightmost side were either crushed or cracked. Moving the console around, I could hear a small piece of plastic rattling around inside.

Saddened by this development, my fiancee and I put in a call to UPS to file a damage claim. They directed us to Amazon because apparently, they handle all that stuff on their own. We got a hold of Amazon and told them what was up, letting them know the extent of the damage. I didn?t bother to power up the machine, so that I wouldn?t upset the refund/replacement procedure. The first rep offered to give us a refund for the console but they couldn?t replace it for another because they had sold out (incidentally, Amazon was selling a bizarre PS4/Kindle bundle, and I wondered if they could just send us that instead ? sans tablet). That?s understandable, considering launch edition pre-orders ran out pretty quickly. We tried to get Amazon to throw us bone and get us on the list for the next round of shipments, escalating things a bit and speaking to two different supervisors until they agreed to do so. In order to make things right, they wanted to give us $30 in credit. Now, I?m not the selfish type but I thought that $30 wasn?t enough for the amount of damage the box sustained (the shipping box was larger than the size of the console and they really didnt? pack in enough sealed air to cushion the console from external trauma) and the inability to get an immediate replacement. They eventually offered $75 and free return shipping, so we decided to just settle with that.

As disappointed as I was from the entire ordeal, I didn?t let it get to me. Things like this happen. I?ve waited this long for the console, what?s another few weeks? Granted, I could always shop around some nearby brick and mortar stores, so there?s that. Anyways, the impetus for this article is not to deliver some ?woe is me, Amazon screwed me, blah blah blah?-style diatribe. Console launches are never perfect. Things have a habit of going wrong, be it servers overloading, machines inexplicably getting bricked and promised features not being available. Except those who purposefully destroy consoles to get a rise out of people, in all the consoles I?ve seen released I don?t ever recall hearing stories of them sustaining damage during delivery.

Ah, well. Greatness still awaits. Its just going to take a little longer get here.

amazonlaunchPlaystation 4PS4Sony

http://www.darkstation.com/features/a-busted-box-a-crushed-console-my-playstation-4-launch-story/

Don't just settle. Get on Amazon's case.

Don't just settle. Get on Amazon's case.

The console itself was packed nice, no sign of damage on either the amazon box, nor the ps4 boxes.  I think it was just a case of faulty hardware.

Is she saying Amazon sent 1.3m alone? Otherwise how would she know?

I can't say I'd blame amazon..  The problems don't seem to be HDD related, where shipping can cause the most headaches and the PS4 should be drive parked before its shipped or that was just poor planning on their part.

lastly, it seems HDMI related, it would be VERY odd for shipping to damage the HDMI port or how it handshakes with your tv.

Is she saying Amazon sent 1.3m alone? Otherwise how would she know?

I believe he skipped amazon and called sony, but the 2000 number doesn't even jive with the announced failure rate which would have been at  5,200 units. (not bad for 1.3mil shipped..)

Just seen that. That would be roughly a 0.15% failure rate then.

I believe he skipped amazon and called sony, but the 2000 number doesn't even jive with the announced failure rate which would have been at  5,200 units. (not bad for 1.3mil shipped..)

Maybe she knows of 2000 / her call center has taken in 2000?  Still 2000 is a lot in my opinion. And yes, I skipped amazon as I felt it was better to go directly to sony for the replacement.

Sorry to hear your PS4 is broken. I wish it was as simple as the NES where you could blow out your game and it would work again.

if only it was that easy. 

While I was trying different configurations I could hear something sliding around inside.  Wouldn't be surprised if a resistor or a transistor got ruined/wasn't soldered correctly.

Glad the replacement process is underway.

1-2 weeks can feel like a long time, but I guess it could be worse.

That review will be even more anticipated :laugh:

lol, it will definitely be unbiased that's for sure.  I've held the controller, and pretended to play with it, and it is very comfortable.  It feels much wider.. even though size wise it was smaller than I expected.

lol, it will definitely be unbiased that's for sure.  I've held the controller, and pretended to play with it, and it is very comfortable.  It feels much wider.. even though size wise it was smaller than I expected.

Yep, the controller feels great in your hands.

Yep, the controller feels great in your hands.

Yep, and the console design is nice.  Not a fan of the power button though, can never tell if I am on it or not as it is kind of inset.