Students under fire for 'catch illegal immigrant' game

The Young Conservatives of Texas (YCT), a student club at the University of Texas at Austin, is holding a ?Catch an Illegal Immigrant? game on the school?s campus to ?spread awareness and to spark a political discussion about the issue,? organizers said.

As part of the ?game,? several people will walk around the UT campus with a label reading ?illegal immigrant? on their clothing between noon and 3 p.m. Wednesday, YCT chairman Lorenzo Garcia told Fox News Latino. Students who ?capture? an immigrant ? and bring them to a YCT table on the West Mall ? will receive a $25 gift card.

The Texas Democratic Party has condemned the game.

?There have been times in the past,? said Garcia, a 20-year-old junior who is the son of Mexican-American parents, ?that we?ve held events, and the turnout was low and the press coverage was nonexistent. We learned from the bake sale, which made national news, that doing something like this is the best way to get out a message.?

He said he wants to spread a message that illegal immigration has had a negative effect on the country ? and this was the best way to draw attention to the issue.

more

• 1 month later...

Funny, innit.

U.S.A. i full of immigrants.

They were all or related to immigrants in the first place.

The indigenous population, Indians, should be allowed to complain about the illegal immigrants that invaded their lands hundred of years ago.

Funny, innit.

U.S.A. i full of immigrants.

They were all or related to immigrants in the first place.

The indigenous population, Indians, should be allowed to complain about the illegal immigrants that invaded their lands hundred of years ago.

Whilst I won't deny what you are saying is true, judging by your profile and avatar... Pot, Kettle anyone? The Americans are no more a mongrel nation than the great old Britan we live in!

I can understand being annoyed by immigration and especially illegal immigrants but the actual way they are going about this is a little thoughtless, but if they feel the issue is important enough and other methods aren't good enough then fair play to them for trying. I suspect someone will be offended somewhere down the line and a legal migrant will no doubt be placed in the middle of it all.

Whilst I won't deny what you are saying is true, judging by your profile and avatar... Pot, Kettle anyone? The Americans are no more a mongrel nation than the great old Britan we live in!

I can understand being annoyed by immigration and especially illegal immigrants but the actual way they are going about this is a little thoughtless, but if they feel the issue is important enough and other methods aren't good enough then fair play to them for trying. I suspect someone will be offended somewhere down the line and a legal migrant will no doubt be placed in the middle of it all.

My profile, what is that supposed to mean?

I can trace my family back 5,000 years.

I was born and bred in London, which is in England.

Immigrants don't bother me, unless they beg, steal rob and live on social security hand-outs.

We have them already and I don't want anymore.

• Like 3

My profile, what is that supposed to mean?

Between your location setting (Kent), England flag avatar and Arsenal sig, I made an assumption that you not only live in England but were born here too, no offence was intended.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Yes by entering the country legally and becoming citizens, not by sneaking across the border. This game is in poor taste though.

Between your location setting (Kent), England flag avatar and Arsenal sig, I made an assumption that you not only live in England but were born here too, no offence was intended.

I was born in England, in South London.

I have the miss-fortune of living in Kent due to work circumstances.

I was born in England, in South London.

I have the miss-fortune of living in Kent due to work circumstances.

I wasn't trying to claim otherwise, just trying to say that it's a little ironic pointing out the country is full of immigrants when our own country itself has been invaded by foreign nations over thousands of years, I don't think we can really claim to be much better.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Statements below are of my own opinions below and does not reflect that of Neowin.net.

The way i see it, if you went through hardship to get here or you fought in wars for the freedoms everyone else enjoys then you are an American. If you dropped out of a p**** on American soil that shouldn't count!

There are plenty of people that crossed oceans, deserts, almost died in the back of a container on a truck or ship to get here. Those people get packed back up in some cases and sent back. Plenty of people died on the way here only to have their kids packed up and shipped "home" too.

I have friends that are "Americans" because they were born here. Their parents came here for a 6 month stay and had the baby then went back home and never came back. Those friends of mine are in their "home country" and don't intend of living in America ever even though they have social security numbers and everything already. They don't pay taxes obviously and they don't improve our economy with their dollars as well.

I'm not saying people mentioned above should be just given legal documents because of their hardships to get here, but at least give them a path with some required learned skills (with time to learn those skills) a chance to make it better like most of our parents/grandparents did for US.

-------------

As for these people, voicing an opinion is part of their rights and as long as those rights don't impede another's then so be it. They may not have US rights but they still have Human Rights and treating people like crap is not part of your rights as an American or a Human. Being in a country illegally is, for the lack of a better word, Illegal. At the same time though there's a process we as civil people go through to prove the accused is guilty.

If they want to build awareness, let them be but if 1 person gets killed/harmed as a result of it then you should be stripped of your rights and shipped out like those illegals "that have a negative effect on our country," because this sort of behavior is just as bad, or worse.

I wasn't trying to claim otherwise, just trying to say that it's a little ironic pointing out the country is full of immigrants when our own country itself has been invaded by foreign nations over thousands of years, I don't think we can really claim to be much better.

I don't see any video games about immigrants and games in the UK

Britain has the most diverse nationalities throughout the world.

I can check London and find someone that has come from one of at least 280 countries.

UK was like Africa, 4,000 years ago, I can explain this, when Trafalgar Square was built when digging, they found Lion, Elephant and Wilder-beast bones to name a few.

They firs thought it was an old Zoo never recorded, when in fact it proved UK was like what Africa is now.

One day, we will go back to the Ice Ice, then African temperatures again.

Won't happen in our lifetime, but will eventually.

So y ancestors probably had huge Jims and where very brown indeed.

I just get pee'd off with people (some) in the U.S.A. whining about immigrants, when their ancestors were immigrants.

I don't see any video games about immigrants and games in the UK

Britain has the most diverse nationalities throughout the world.

I can check London and find someone that has come from one of at least 280 countries.

UK was like Africa, 4,000 years ago, I can explain this, when Trafalgar Square was built when digging, they found Lion, Elephant and Wilder-beast bones to name a few.

They firs thought it was an old Zoo never recorded, when in fact it proved UK was like what Africa is now.

One day, we will go back to the Ice Ice, then African temperatures again.

Won't happen in our lifetime, but will eventually.

So y ancestors probably had huge Jims and where very brown indeed.

I just get pee'd off with people (some) in the U.S.A. whining about immigrants, when their ancestors were immigrants.

I think you need to perhaps go back and re-read the article. The group in question are not happy with the situation with ILLEGAL immigrants, not immigrants in general.

I think you may need to check your sources; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326136/Worlds-apart-Uganda-tops-list-ethnically-diverse-countries-Earth-South-Korea-comes-bottom.html If this is anything to go by then actually the UK is pretty low.

I have to admit, I don't fully understand your video game reference either.

I think you've misunderstood the issue. It is illegal immigrants that people are upset about.

true our country has a mixture or blood from invasion after invasion but immigration is a massive issue and it needs to be stopped what was know as british is now a dying breed...but that is not the main issue of this article...I dont see what is wrong with this game it hurts no one.

Sounds like a fun game. Here's some other games created by conservative student groups to spark political conversations...

Dodge - Aborted Fetus Carcass

Forced Vaginal Probe Jenga

Cowboys and Black Teens Walking Home (A new version of "Cops and Non-Whites")

Healthcare Musical Chairs

Hypocrisy!

Rape or Legitimate Rape

Taxation Charades

Trickle Down Monopoly

Blame Tag

Words Without Foreign Nations

Economy Crush

Hot Racial Issue Potato

Marry, Subjugate, or Disenfranchise

Misunderstood Birds

Republican Roulette

Corporate Handout Pi?ata

Patsycake

Golf

So a Mexican guy name Garcia started an 'illegal immigrants' game in the US to bring attention to the issue so he can showcase how it negatively effects the country.

Meh, Why not.

true our country has a mixture or blood from invasion after invasion but immigration is a massive issue and it needs to be stopped what was know as british is now a dying breed...but that is not the main issue of this article...I dont see what is wrong with this game it hurts no one.

It's a game that promotes "catching" illegal immigrants, when was something like this a game? As you have said it is a massive issue for us too, but that doesn't mean we should adopt a "lets catch the illegal immigrants". Whether our govt. is doing enough I think people should leave the law where it belongs and not take it into their own hands.

This will be the type of game that ends up pointing the finger at legal migrants which whether you want there or not, have the right to be there without any form of prejudice. You know for a fact that the people targeted will be of hispanic background too, it's not like people will go around picking on the "white" man. I know it's horrible when everything turns into a racist thing but imo this is very close to becomming that.

I know it's horrible when everything turns into a racist thing but imo this is very close to becomming that.

That's like saying that Justin Bieber is very close to becoming a douche bag, or that the Octomom is very close to having too many kids, or that Rob Ford is close to becoming incredulous...

That ship has sailed, entered it's port of call, and sailed again :)