One more reason to boycott Walmart

Typical liberal thinking.  No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions.  It's alway's the man's fault, if we could just redistribute wealth a little more then the poor wouldn't be so poor.  If you don't like your job at Walmart quit.  Americans think they are so entitled to everything, that it's just going to be given to them.  But they aren't going to work hard for it.  I like how so many hispanics, illegal at that, work much harder than the average american for a lesser wage.  I'm sure they would be happy to have a job at Walmart, and they would work harder than the entitled American who blames everyone with more money for their problems.

Obviously I'm generaizing a lot here.  Not everyone who is poor feels entitled, and their are people who work hard.  But in general the poor in America think they are entitled to food stamps, ssi, and all other types of goverment freebies and often look to government to solve all of their thinking. 

Well the people working for Apple and Microsoft are often highly skilled engineers. They have university degrees, and will be difficult to replace. People working at Walmart don't really have skills that are hard to replace.

You were talking about obscene profits that should be shared with their employees, I showed you that WalMart doesn't really have obscene profits. Compared to Target they have a smaller profit margin and they pay their employees more.

So tell me, why are you singling out Walmart and not target? The former has almost 7 times the employees, pays them on average more, and has a lower profit margin. Clearly you should be ****ed at Target here.

I understand what you're saying, but I didn't single out Walmart, per se.

At the time of reading the article in the OP, I got incensed at what I saw as an injustice to low income workers.

In light of the info you provided, maybe "obscene" was a bit hyperbolic, but I stand by my viewpoint.

If Target's policies are similar to Walmart's, then IMO they are just as bad.

These companies can more than afford to contribute a tenth of one percent of their profits, once a year, towards their employees' holiday cheer.

Instead, they chose to be Scrooges.

These companies can more than afford to contribute a tenth of one percent of their profits, once a year, towards their employees' holiday cheer.

Instead, they chose to be Scrooges.

Such is the Great American Dream.

FYI Wal-Mart is in the top 10 charitable US companies, donating 4.5% of its profits.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3599349/

Also, Wal-Mart is a godsend to the poor and seniors when it comes to prescription costs. They offer hundreds of medications for $4 per refill, and often $10 for a 3 month supply. They're also opening in-store discounted medical clinics.

We frequently use their pharmacy because the cash cost of a prescription is a fraction of our $20 co-pay, which is not that bad in itself.

Here's a kicker: Walmart makes money hand over fist yet, they tell their employees to go on public assistance to stave off Walmart having to pay for medical expenses at the cost of the waltons poverty living conditions. I am really a compassionte person when glaringly obvious abuses occur.

:x

There's are far worse companies than Walmart, much more worthy of being boycotted. Nestle is one. Coca-Cola is another.

I agree here, I work a few blocks from coca cola. Our security guards used to work for Coke before they all got laid off and replace by an outside security company. Around this same time it was reported that the CEO of Coke "Gave away" millions to charity. How can you give away money but then turn around and lay off part of your work force? So not cool at all in my book.

I never said blame the poor because they are poor, I merely pointed out that often (especially in America) being impoverished is a condition typically brought on by more than simply not earning a sustainable wage.  That is, it is often the result of an individual's poor life choices.  The point of jobs being sent overseas in this discussion is moot - the subjects of this discussion clearly have jobs.  Actually, they are likely very grateful to have the work they do - again, Walmart consistently pays more than many similar businesses.  I'm sorry, but someone stacking boxes or running a cash register is not entitled to a six-figure salary.

For many in this situation, even if they did earn that type of salary, it would do little to change the circumstances that put them in their respective predicaments in the first place.  Simply, people who make poor choices are likely to continue to make poor choices - regardless of their annual income. This does not mean they shouldn't be given the opportunity to enjoy the season of merriment and good will towards men.

The job outsourcing is a valid point. Had some of those jobs stayed here and not been over seas those people would not all be working at Walmart and other low paying places. While I do agree that some people get that mentality about not wanting to rise above poverty, there are some who did make good decisions but the companies they worked for didn't which is why they are laid off and working at Walmart.

It's popular to hate Walmart.

I agree here. I hate Walmart because when I used to shop there the lines were always stupidly long. Its like its black Friday every day at almost every hour. I could go at 3am and the lines would still be crazy long. For that reason I refuse to ever shop there again. I even spoke to the store managers about this too. Now I will happily pay more for stuff at other places where I don't have to stand 2 hours in line just to check out.

NOOOOOOOOO

Go to people of Walmart, do you want those things infesting your local supermarket? I know I don't

As for the whole wage "controversy", remember iof not for Walmart those people would have NO JOB, it's their fault for not having the skill needed for a decent salary, there's a reason MOST people start at low or minimum wage and then go on to better paying jobs, skills and motivation, if you think Walmart, McD, or any other high turnout job is worthy of a career, then you deserve to make low pay, they are starter jobs or jobs for retirees looking to keep busy and make some extra money, they are not designed to support anything more that your average teenagers gaming habit

And there's an equally good reason that the overwhelming majority don't. Because economies of scale dictate that low end jobs will always be more numerous in number, and the average person doesn't have the skills to do anything better. Only in the US would it be considered reasonable to work a full time job and still never manage to make ends meet. People like you are really pretty disgusting, there's nothing nice about the idea that being unskilled means you deserve to live in poverty.

Typical liberal thinking.  No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions.  It's alway's the man's fault, if we could just redistribute wealth a little more then the poor wouldn't be so poor.  If you don't like your job at Walmart quit.  Americans think they are so entitled to everything, that it's just going to be given to them.  But they aren't going to work hard for it.  I like how so many hispanics, illegal at that, work much harder than the average american for a lesser wage.  I'm sure they would be happy to have a job at Walmart, and they would work harder than the entitled American who blames everyone with more money for their problems.

Obviously I'm generaizing a lot here.  Not everyone who is poor feels entitled, and their are people who work hard.  But in general the poor in America think they are entitled to food stamps, ssi, and all other types of goverment freebies and often look to government to solve all of their thinking. 

Yes the wealth should be spread around a lot more. If it wasn't for those poor people buy that billionaire's product/services that billionaire would be poor. Rich people seem to always forget this from time to time. There comes a point with all the money making that having another 20 billion just isn't going to make a difference. You will never be able to physically see that 20 billion in cash. And all they can probably do with this is by a bigger house or boat. So yeah there needs to be a point where the greed has to stop.

Thank you for making my point Gotenks.  You blame fault on the wealthy, without taking personal responsibility or holding other accountable. 

Honestly, when I was younger, I would snub Walmart (and K-mart) and the people that shopped there.  Somehow or another I had concocted the notion that Target was a better class of discount retail shopping.  I don't necessarily think so now.  As a matter of fact, depending upon where the Target is located, it can be a much worse experience.

Target maintained a better reputation because their stores were cleaner, more aesthetic, and they had good marketing, and it had really little to do with the quality of products or how they treated employees. Walmart since then has changed this and has improved their stores, and now there's very little difference between the two chains.

I'd also say the primary attraction to food stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is also just the looks and the marketing and not quality or any social or environmental issues, but that's another topic ...

How can you give away money but then turn around and lay off part of your work force? So not cool at all in my book.

Coca Cola and other major companies "give" money away to avoid additional taxation.  In other words, up to a percentage, they save money by donating a percentage of their proceeds to charity. In reality, it has nothing to do with being generous or compassionate.

Yes the wealth should be spread around a lot more. If it wasn't for those poor people buy that billionaire's product/services that billionaire would be poor. Rich people seem to always forget this from time to time. There comes a point with all the money making that having another 20 billion just isn't going to make a difference. You will never be able to physically see that 20 billion in cash. And all they can probably do with this is by a bigger house or boat. So yeah there needs to be a point where the greed has to stop.

Many of those wealthy people you dislike were once poor, but became wealthy because they got off their lazy backsides, worked hard, and built their fortunes through graft and smarts.

This is exactly what the American dream is all about.

So, now that they're successful and rich, those without the moxy to do the same have the gall to crap on them for it?  This is called jealousy.  It's a very ugly emotion that you'd do well to get rid of.

Uhm.  Spreading the wealth around is called communism - and that didn't seem to work either.  I see the point you are trying to make, but I think you are losing sight of the fact that these major companies are the ones employing the masses.  The profits that are earned don't go towards buying mansions and yachts or even simply wallowing around in like Scrooge McDuck - they go towards expanding the businesses.  In other words - employing more people.  Walmart is the largest private employer in the world - directly providing jobs to 2.2 million people.  This goes without even considering the ancillary employment of those working for businesses that provide goods and services to Walmart.