38 replies to this topic

#16 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:09

Hello,

So its a IE11/8.1 issue. I thought it was because my laptop was overheating.

And the stranges thing is you cant uninstall/update/reinstall/etc flash on Windows 8.1

#17 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:19

Also, is anyone having IE11 be in IE10 document mode on youtube?

#18 ClassicTrekker

ClassicTrekker

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:32

Hello,

So its a IE11/8.1 issue. I thought it was because my laptop was overheating.

And the stranges thing is you cant uninstall/update/reinstall/etc flash on Windows 8.1

It's more than IE11/8.1 -- I have IE 11 on 7 and am having the same issues. Tried the HTML5 player also, and still have issues with the home page.

#19 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:45

Also, is anyone having IE11 be in IE10 document mode on youtube?

Yes, I had that this morning. It was telling me I needed to sign in again as well, even though I was already signed in.

Also, the 'page has is not responding' freezes aren't limited to the home page now. Since last night I'm also having the problem with my subscription's page. I've tried enabling html5 and while it works for a short time, it goes back to freezing the browser.

Interestingly, if I am quick enough to hit F12, and set the browser user-agent type to chrome, the homepage will load (along with the banner header at the top that's missing with IE11).

So I suspect it's Google being somewhat ass-hats trying to force people over to chrome/firefox and away from IE. You know, with google being so big of a company, you'd think they could write up a website that works on IE11.. even if it's a poor browser by many users standards, it's still accounting for 1/3 of their users.

#20 ClassicTrekker

ClassicTrekker

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:25

Yes, I had that this morning. It was telling me I needed to sign in again as well, even though I was already signed in.

Also, the 'page has is not responding' freezes aren't limited to the home page now. Since last night I'm also having the problem with my subscription's page. I've tried enabling html5 and while it works for a short time, it goes back to freezing the browser.

Interestingly, if I am quick enough to hit F12, and set the browser user-agent type to chrome, the homepage will load (along with the banner header at the top that's missing with IE11).

So I suspect it's Google being somewhat ass-hats trying to force people over to chrome/firefox and away from IE. You know, with google being so big of a company, you'd think they could write up a website that works on IE11.. even if it's a poor browser by many users standards, it's still accounting for 1/3 of their users.

I just tried it with Chrome, and had the same freezing issues--I think it's a Flash problem.

#21 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:30

Nvidia just released new certified drivers today (11/19) that mention Flash freezing. Perhaps that might help those that are using their cards?

#22 jandler

jandler

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:32

I actually have the same problem in firefox aswell :(

#23 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:34

I actually have the same problem in firefox aswell :(

Are you using Nvidia? The release notes specifically mentioned Flash freezing in Firefox.

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:35

I have IE11 on Windows 7 and it's jamming too.. it appears to be a javascript issue by what I can see while debugging

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:44

I have noticed that youtube videos wouldn't play in HD for me in both Firefox and IE11 after Windows 8.1 update (drivers were updated).
I then "fixed" the problem by logging into my Google account. I am usually logged into Google account but being a new install and me mostly using my phone for Gmail, I had not logged in for many days after a clean installation.
YMMV.

#26 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:44

Are you using Nvidia? The release notes specifically mentioned Flash freezing in Firefox.

I have a machine here using an onboard chipset, same issue.

#27 MrWhistler

MrWhistler

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:57

ok ok, thought I would chime in with my testing results as I was having the same problems....

using ie10 on windows 8, latest flash and ie updates = no problems whatsoever

windows 8.1, with ie11, latest ie updates from windows update, flash, latest update available = constant crashing in youtube, I could never watch anything, same issues you guys have been having!

however, it gets interesting,  windows 8.1 same as before ie11 updated to the very latest with updates, but I did NOT install the latest flash offered to me on windows updates, I used the flash that came with the stock 8.1 = no issues!@! everything plays fine

coincidence?!? maybe, but in my case, youtube now runs with no problems, weird huh

#28 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 15:03

I only have issues with flash on some very high quality videos. The display driver crashes and it is very tempting to blame AMD but I noticed the same behaviour on an Ubuntu box with generic drivers.

#29 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 15:04

The issue with ie11 crash with youtube is the plugin for flash.  I found even you view youtube under html5, it still crashes.  The only way to get around with it is when viewing in youtube, you have to turn on ActiveX filtering (Tools --> ActiveX Filtering).  Just remember to un-select it when you viewing other flash websites.

p.s. I'm using HD7970 gpu with the latest beta driver.

#30 ClassicTrekker

ClassicTrekker

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:01

The issue with ie11 crash with youtube is the plugin for flash.  I found even you view youtube under html5, it still crashes.  The only way to get around with it is when viewing in youtube, you have to turn on ActiveX filtering (Tools --> ActiveX Filtering).  Just remember to un-select it when you viewing other flash websites.

p.s. I'm using HD7970 gpu with the latest beta driver.

Thanks for that, MDboyz...until either Adobe or MS figures out a permanent fix, this will have to do. :)