Very Slow Internet with installation of XP POS 2009 new systems

We have 6 PC's upstairs all running Windows 7 and 4 new POS systems downstairs all linked to a NAS.  Since we have installed the POS systems the internet on the POS systems is unworkable, slow to the point of stopping.  The POS systems have come with Windows XP POS 2009 on them and we are running Myob Hospitality as the POS program. The systems and software is all brand new so no chance of virus's yet.  What can I change to make it better? We did have slow internet before the installation with the old POS systems but now it is worse. Thanks.

well, most of it if I'm honest, but seeing as you've responded, first bit of troubleshooting I could have to offer is resetting the network, and adding the machines back to it one by one, to see if there's a 'suspect machine'

also as you are aware 'POS' has more meaning than one, so I might ask for clarification on that.

You mentioned these are XP based machines, if memory serves me correctly, I had a similar incident, turned out to be an incorrect driver and my speeds were hit'n'miss as XP was heavily driver dependant compared to lets say 7 for argument sake, upon first installation.

Sorry I wasn't aware there was loads of meaning for POS - in this case POS is Point of Sale.  XP POS 2009 is used specifically for Point of Sale machines (touchscreens) but we also use an online booking program so we need the internet - but just so slow that it eventually stops.  So you think renew the XP drivers and remap them to the NAS?

New systems? Running XP? Theres your problem...

Though somewhat tongue in cheek, I actually mean it - XP is vulnerable to some pretty scary attacks that modern OS's have been hardened against. Being that these are POS machines, this should be doubly troubling for you.  

New systems? Running XP? Theres your problem...

Though somewhat tongue in cheek, I actually mean it - XP is vulnerable to some pretty scary attacks that modern OS's have been hardened against. Being that these are POS machines, this should be doubly troubling for you.  

XP is not nesasarily the problem, though if the pcs are capable of running 7, then maybe dual boot with 7 and see if it works, unless XP doesn't need to be saved.

XP is not nesasarily the problem, though if the pcs are capable of running 7, then maybe dual boot with 7 and see if it works, unless XP doesn't need to be saved.

Actually -  That might not work.. Myob Hospitality   is only rated to work with VISTA and Below.

I would probably look for the following... updated network drivers.  

Also it is probably downloading program updates if it is a fresh install (not the XP but the Myob Hospitality )

I would also probably look to see for example if it is there are limits on the NAS about sharing and or Network traffic limits already setup in the POS.

Those are just some suggestions.

I agree with redvamp128.

Take a look at the NAS. it might not be configured probably. because to me it looks like its the NAS is at fault.seeing you had the problem with the older POS systems well.

windows 7 and xp connected to same system ...... I got goosebumps.....

That NAS has to deal with communicating with two different systems. running different operation systems.

I seen a family medical center, that ran windows 2000 machines along with windows 95 and windows 98, and also had hub stations. it took them weeks to get the system working together

Hospitality is working extremely well! we've had it running on XP before now.  I'm considering the issues of the NAS though as you say competing with Windows 7 on the upstairs computers.  Will try a few things you have suggested.  Thanks for the help.

Sorry I wasn't aware there was loads of meaning for POS - in this case POS is Point of Sale.  XP POS 2009 is used specifically for Point of Sale machines (touchscreens) but we also use an online booking program so we need the internet - but just so slow that it eventually stops.  So you think renew the XP drivers and remap them to the NAS?

I had to say huh, after first reading that also.

You weren't aware that POS means "piece of s**t"

What rock you been under?

I'd agree it all has to do with the NAS though.