VA state senator stabbed by son

BATH, VA (WWBT) -- Virginia State Senator and former gubernatorial-hopeful Creigh Deeds was reportedly stabbed by his son, who then shot and killed himself.

Virginia State Police confirm Deeds stabbing and that another person was found dead at the Bath County home Tuesday morning. Sources told NBC Washington it was Gus Deeds who stabbed his father before shooting and killing himself.

Deeds was taken from his Bath County home to University of Virginia Medical Center with serious injuries Tuesday morning, according to State Police. He is in critical condition, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Deeds has served in the state legislature for more than 20 years. He was elected to the House of Delegates in 1991, where he served until 2001 when he was elected to the State Senate.

Deeds was the Democratic nominee for governor in 2009, but lost to Bob McDonnell. He previously lost by less than 400 of votes to McDonnell in the 2005 Attorney General's race.

"Stunning news from Bath County. I am praying for @CreighDeeds and his family at this very, very difficult time," Sen. Mark Warner wrote on Twitter.

Virginia State Police are still on the scene after first receiving a call around 7:25 a.m.

The investigation remains ongoing at this time by the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation's Salem Field Office.

Virginia State Police will hold a press conference with more details at noon. NBC12 will have a crew to cover the developments and will update on-air and online.

th?id=H.4886961007887924&pid=15.1&H=160&

source

This is really close to my home and I knew Gus and Creigh, and I was really close to one of Creigh's daughters when I was younger. Kind of weird to think that I was driving by his house a little before 7:00 a.m. this morning on the way to work.

Gus seemed to suffer from some kind of mental illness the last time I saw him which was a few years ago from the way he acted, or perhaps it was just the stress of his parent's divorcing - I'm not sure, and I don't really want to speculate more than that. Creigh was always the nicest man though and I hope he can pull through. My thoughts go out to the family as they were always the nicest people to us.

What's weird to me is, I woke up sometime early in the morning and 'felt' like someone was in the room, going to stab me with a knife. :huh:

True story.