LG Smart TVs logging USB filenames and viewing info to LG servers

"At this point, I decided to do some traffic analysis to see what was being sent.  It turns out that viewing information appears to be being sent regardless of whether this option is set to On or Off."

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.com/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html

• 2 weeks later...

It may be worth adding the Ip to your Routers block list.

These are the advert domains

• ad.lgappstv.com
  • yumenetworks.com
  • smartclip.net
  • smartclip.com
  • llnwd.net
  • smartshare.lgtvsdp.com
  • ibis.lgappstv.com

This just begs for a class-action lawsuit. Where are all the sue-happy lawyers? Where is FCC?

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA of the apps but it is probably still sanctionable. Class-action lawsuits take a lot of time to get into gear. This is just coming out, give it some time.

Don't really care if my TV reads my file names and sends them anywhere. I'll bet everything with a net connection probably does this

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA of the apps but it is probably still sanctionable. Class-action lawsuits take a lot of time to get into gear. This is just coming out, give it some time.

I remember reading that, for example, in Germany, EULA is only valid as a legal document if it was agreed upon before the purchase (which is the case almost never). Don't know the exact circumstances. It'd be nice if that was EU directive, but it likely isn't...

• 4 weeks later...

This is why my TV is and always will just be a monitor - I don't even have any channels tuned on it.

It has one HDMI cable coming into it from my receiver and that is it.