Suggested SSD brands

The Samsung 840 Pro SSDs are extremely expensive. Waste of money, I'd say.

You can get SSDs for much cheaper, with equally impressive speed/reliability, from other quality brands such as Kingston, OCZ and Toshiba.

Personally, I wouldn't touch an OCZ again. I had far too many Vertex 2's go wrong. And their warranty process is (or used to be, at least) a shambles.

Personally, I wouldn't touch an OCZ again. I had far too many Vertex 2's go wrong. And their warranty process is (or used to be, at least) a shambles.

The Vertex 2's were junk because of the SandForce controllers.  They fixed those issues via firmware, but they haven't used SandForce for a few years now.  And the Vertex drives now come with a 5 year warranty, so they've gotten their act together.

Hello,

The Mercury series from Other World Computing is the best available:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

Best price, best performance, best customer service.

This is one review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6200/owc-mercury-electra-3g-max-960gb-review-cramming-1tb-of-nand-inside-25-chassis/9

Doesnt sound like the "best".

Same here, mine failed within a month. Swapped it out for an 840 Pro, which I've had over 6 months with no issues (touch wood).

hmmm my fiance used to work top level complaints dep on Samsung support. no her favorite brand :) but the 840 is the second cheapest 250 drive I see, so if they're good I suppose I'll go with that. 

got myself a free intel drive from a broken lenovo laptop that was twice the price when I checked the price on it :)

Then I just need to find a decent frame for it to fit it in a tool less 3.5 bay. the one I got for mine didn't work so it's just laying "loose" ish now. 

I have found double sided tape works wonders for this.

Of course it doesn't when you rely on an old, outdated review from Anandtech of all places. That drive is also last-gen 3G tech. Look at the newer 6G drives that OWC sells, and then re-write your comment.

I have various Intel SSDs and they all work great. I'd probably go with the samsung if I was buying these days though.