Photo

Selling a boxed legal copy of MS office 2007 pro but how?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:36

See above, given I am not sure how many times over the years the key has been used. And if it has am I sunk? I have been the only one using it and I have the box and key etc.

#2 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,852 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:40

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that as long as it's not in use on any computers, it's legal to sell it.

#3 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,491 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:46

it's legal to resell a boxed copy if:

- the key wasn't used to upgrade to a newer office suite

- you will completely remove the key from your computer and not use it again (as in remove the office associated with that key, if is still installed); that's because when that office is going to be activated by the buyer it might not activate by Internet but the buyer might have to call Microsoft and activate it by phone; if such case the Microsoft representative will ask if that key is used in more than one computer; if yes then the activation process will halt.

#4 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:47

Yeah, it's only a legal issues if you install it, then sell it to someone else to install too. If the key isn't in use anywhere and won't be in use again, you can just sell it as is. This isn't game consoles where you sell it and someone else has to pay again just to use it. Thankfully only that market is that corrupt.

Edit: Ahh yes, good point on the upgrade, Praetor.

#5 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,529 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:52

From the EULA:

"16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may make a one-time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the proof of license. If the software is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the software. "

Worst case, the person who buys it might have to call up to activate it.

#6 OP Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 15:10

Yeah, it's only a legal issues if you install it, then sell it to someone else to install too. If the key isn't in use anywhere and won't be in use again, you can just sell it as is. This isn't game consoles where you sell it and someone else has to pay again just to use it. Thankfully only that market is that corrupt.

Edit: Ahh yes, good point on the upgrade, Praetor.

Have not used it to upgrade so assuming office isn't still installed on any old PCs anywhere of mine it should be fine?

From the EULA:

"16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may make a one-time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the proof of license. If the software is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the software. "

Worst case, the person who buys it might have to call up to activate it.

Worth calling Microsoft to ask about that? I mean how do I put on ebay "buy this call Microsoft if it wont activate?" Id sell it via Neobay though PayPal if anyone wanted it but I have no idea if it should activate still I am not current using it/is not installed on any pcs. Sounds like it should be fine thanks guys? Anyone got an idea of value in £ it is a full retail boxed copy of office professional 2007?

#7 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 15:13

Have not used it to upgrade so assuming office isn't still installed on any old PCs anywhere of mine it should be fine?

Worth calling Microsoft to ask about that? I mean how do I put on ebay "buy this call Microsoft if it wont activate?" Id sell it via Neobay though PayPal if anyone wanted it but I have no idea if it should activate still I am not current using it/is not installed on any pcs. Sounds like it should be fine thanks guys? Anyone got an idea of value in £ it is a full retail boxed copy of office professional 2007?

Yep, as long as it's not installed you're good. If you want to, just tell the buyer that if they have any issue activating to call the number it provides and they will activate it for them. Nothing you can call and do since they'll give them a code to activate right then. I get that on all my copies of Windows when I reinstall since I've installed so many times. Just takes a few minutes to call and get your activation code then you're on your way.

#8 OP Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 15:17

Yep, as long as it's not installed you're good. If you want to, just tell the buyer that if they have any issue activating to call the number it provides and they will activate it for them. Nothing you can call and do since they'll give them a code to activate right then. I get that on all my copies of Windows when I reinstall since I've installed so many times. Just takes a few minutes to call and get your activation code then you're on your way.

Say in theory it MIGHT be installed somewhere else and I forgot say an old laptop in my attic how would it work then for arguments sake I know im not using it on this system but might have a laptop or two in the attic/ you have any idea of the value?

#9 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 15:21

Say in theory it MIGHT be installed somewhere else and I forgot say an old laptop in my attic how would it work then for arguments sake I know im not using it on this system but might have a laptop or two in the attic/ you have any idea of the value?

Well, I think the key is that the license can't be IN USE anywhere. If it's installed on an old scrap computer you're probably never going to touch again, it's probably not a big deal. It's not like MS has a record of uninstalls and can tell and won't activate it or anything, but technically if you did pull that computer out and use that copy of Office again you'd be doing so illegally. It's all mostly honor system still. They can see when it's activated and count the number of activations, but theres (thankfully) no deactivation procedure to "free up" the license, just your word that you're not using it. I can't stand things that have to be deactivated because I always forget. Like iTunes purchased music, that always got me.

No idea on the value though. I use LibreOffice so $0 to me. :laugh:

#10 OP Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 15:27

Well, I think the key is that the license can't be IN USE anywhere. If it's installed on an old scrap computer you're probably never going to touch again, it's probably not a big deal. It's not like MS has a record of uninstalls and can tell and won't activate it or anything, but technically if you did pull that computer out and use that copy of Office again you'd be doing so illegally. It's all mostly honor system still. They can see when it's activated and count the number of activations, but theres (thankfully) no deactivation procedure to "free up" the license, just your word that you're not using it. I can't stand things that have to be deactivated because I always forget. Like iTunes purchased music, that always got me.

No idea on the value though. I use LibreOffice so $0 to me. :laugh:

So your saying no point in calling MS to check anything just state that the buyer may have to call Microsoft to activate the product and YOUR CERTAIN (anyone else corroborate this for me before I put it on eBay) that it will activate?

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,491 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 16:20

it will activate if and only if:

- the key isn't blacklisted :D

- during the activation process the operator (if the internet activation fails and the buyer has to activate by telefone) asks if the key is installed in more than one machine and the buyer says yes (the activation will halt).

#12 OP Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 18:22

it will activate if and only if:

- the key isn't blacklisted :D

- during the activation process the operator (if the internet activation fails and the buyer has to activate by telefone) asks if the key is installed in more than one machine and the buyer says yes (the activation will halt).

Ah... cool so in the unlikely event I honestly left it sitting on some old laptop (i'm serious I don't believe it is) they can just activate by telephone? Have I got that right.

#13 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,491 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:10

yes, they can activate by telephone.

#14 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,924 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:38

Ah... cool so in the unlikely event I honestly left it sitting on some old laptop (i'm serious I don't believe it is) they can just activate by telephone? Have I got that right.

In this situation it's illegal for you to sell it, doing so would be tantamount to fraud for the sale and copyright infringement on one of the two installations.

You MUST remove all copies of this software from your machine before selling the license.

#15 OP Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:46

In this situation it's illegal for you to sell it, doing so would be tantamount to fraud for the sale and copyright infringement on one of the two installations.

You MUST remove all copies of this software from your machine before selling the license.

Ok I know was just asking I don't believe it is installed anywhere.