Forza Motorsport 5 reviews

That has nothing to do with trolling. Look the term up. It wasn't an insult neither, since I wasn't attacking you personally. I'm just curious as to why people keep posting, when it's obvious they haven't done their research.

The major flaw in your argument is that, since you think that DLC should be free, every single review of FM5 is ridiculous, pathetic and what have we. You're also claiming, that they (the gaming sites) have no integrity. The fact of the matter is, obviously, that FM5 is a fantastic game.

DLC is a fantastic thing. It's a great opportunity to expand upon games and keep them new and exciting for years and years, and as long as the customer can freely select whether or not to purchase them, it's, frankly speaking, arrogant to act like you do.

Forza looks gorgeous. Only two things irritate me from all the videos I've seen so far - way too much tyre squeal in some cases (like the V8 at Bathurst) and that single repetitive firework-like noise that is used for the crashes.

The AI looks very good in the videos that have it too, although time will tell if it lasts. I was previously under the impression that data was just being used to generate realistic opponents, but it seems now they are just the exact laps done by a specific person?

The content is halved. The quality, however...

Gran Turismo simply imports all the car models of the previous one. In Forza, they've put an insane amount of time into every detail of the cars included. This gives for a more realistic looking game. It's gonna be fantastic for sure.

Gran Turismo has an insane amount of detail in the cars too. They don't "simply import all the car models of the previous one". What happened with Gran Turismo 5 is exactly the same as what has happened with Forza Motorsport 5, except they've gone different routes - the car models from the previous generation are no longer suitable. You can't upgrade everything as it isn't practical. So you can either retain the old models alongside the new ones (what Gran Turismo 5 did) and have people moan about low quality cars, or drop the low quality ones/start from scratch (what Forza 5 did) and have people moan about there being less cars and tracks.

Even as a GT fan, I prefer the Forza method (in GT5 I only drove a standard car when I had no other choice). But in both cases they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. What I hope now is that both teams are creating and keeping very high detail original files so it is easier to handle future jumps.

• Like 2

Forza looks gorgeous. Only two things irritate me from all the videos I've seen so far - way too much tyre squeal in some cases (like the V8 at Bathurst) and that single repetitive firework-like noise that is used for the crashes.

The AI looks very good in the videos that have it too, although time will tell if it lasts. I was previously under the impression that data was just being used to generate realistic opponents, but it seems now they are just the exact laps done by a specific person?

Gran Turismo has an insane amount of detail in the cars too. They don't "simply import all the car models of the previous one". What happened with Gran Turismo 5 is exactly the same as what has happened with Forza Motorsport 5, except they've gone different routes - the car models from the previous generation are no longer suitable. You can't upgrade everything as it isn't practical. So you can either retain the old models alongside the new ones (what Gran Turismo 5 did) and have people moan about low quality cars, or drop the low quality ones/start from scratch (what Forza 5 did) and have people moan about there being less cars and tracks.

Even as a GT fan, I prefer the Forza method (in GT5 I only drove a standard car when I had no other choice). But in both cases they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. What I hope now is that both teams are creating and keeping very high detail original files so it is easier to handle future jumps.

Perfectly worded.

A better attitude would be to not ship a game until it's done, especially if they do indeed want 'the best'. Cutting out half the content to meet a date that's clearly too early, then adding in only a fraction of the missing content as very expensive dlc($50 for only 60 cars) is anything but a step forward and hardly something beneficial to gamers.

So a game is only done with it includes your favorite tracks ? it includes more than enough tracks, and more importantly it includes NEW tracks. would we love to have nurburgring ? sure. but it's also one of the most demanding tracks to recreate due to the sheer size of it. 

a car game isn't done when you have all the DLC and every track in the world, it's done when it's released that's the complete whole and full game. you can buy expansions for it to EXPAND the game, but it doesn't mean the game isn't done in it's original release. 

• Like 1

It will destroy GT6, there is no comparison. I'm a big fan of both franchises (I own most of the games from both and really enjoy them). Personally I feel is stupid to compare GT6 to FM5 (since one is current gen and the other is next gen) however, as many people have pointed out since GT6 and FM5 will be out vaguely the same time people will compare them. One thing that really nailed it home for me to just how hopelessly far behind GT6 is [in comparison to FM5], I was watching some gameplay movies of a race on Bathurst (as an Aussie I am thrilled to see the track included in both games) the difference was profound. On GT6, it looks flat and lifeless and suffering from really bad shadows (it also looks washed out, however, since it's an off screen capture I'll willing to turn a blind eye to that one) while in FM5 on the other hand was amazing...

Gran Turismo 6

Forza Motorsport 5

Am I saying GT6 is a bad game? no! I have my copy pre ordered and cannot wait. However, FM5 is just on a completely different level and there is just no comparison at all. PD will really need to step up their game with GT7 if they want to compete in the next gen. I don't plan on buying a X1 just yet, but FM5 will be a guaranteed buy when I do (Y)

Except when it comes to having night time racing and weather.

But of course the graphics will be better, the hardware is much better. Its still crazy what PD can do on an 8 year old system.

Im sorry but in what world are you living in where this is justified:

Thats not a gaming environment I want to be part of. Sure you could spend forever grinding these things but when the developer purposely increases the grind/removes content from the game specifically for this purpose the game should not be supported. At the very minimum, you should expect a "gaming press" to highlight this, yet all they do is give perfect scores. Its pathetic.

buying cheats/jump aheads in games has always been expensive in games where it was available, as it's basically taxing the stupid and/or extremely impatient and rich. from Horizons and BF3 and other games, jumps aheads are expensive because they're unecessary and not how you're meant to play the game. but if you want to, sure you can cheat your way ahead, but it'll cost. 

Those are surprisingly high numbers considering the game is, unfortunately, half the game of the previous one.

:rolleyes:

It wouldn't make sense for them to take into account things that don't exist in the game. They're reviewing the game as is released and it is obviously pretty excellent. If you don't like that there's less stuff don't buy it, but that won't retract from other people getting a ton of enjoyment out of if, which is how reviews are focused anyway.

• Like 2

So a game is only done with it includes your favorite tracks ? it includes more than enough tracks, and more importantly it includes NEW tracks. would we love to have nurburgring ? sure. but it's also one of the most demanding tracks to recreate due to the sheer size of it. 

a car game isn't done when you have all the DLC and every track in the world, it's done when it's released that's the complete whole and full game. you can buy expansions for it to EXPAND the game, but it doesn't mean the game isn't done in it's original release. 

Remind me where i mentioned anything about specific tracks? Oh, that's right. I didn't do that. The problem isn't a specific track missing, it's the sheer amount of content in total missing. Along with the fact that the very high priced season pass dlc doesn't even come close to making up what's missing.

:rolleyes:

It wouldn't make sense for them to take into account things that don't exist in the game. They're reviewing the game as is released and it is obviously pretty excellent. If you don't like that there's less stuff don't buy it, but that won't retract from other people getting a ton of enjoyment out of if, which is how reviews are focused anyway.

It makes perfect sense to compare a new entry of a series to its predecessor. And it's done quite often with other games, so why should we just skip doing it here?

im sorry i did edit them, but that was less than a minute after my initial post went up. your post was a good 20 mins later.

I came into the thread, wrote my reply and then clicked post later on. At least I know I'm not going too crazy :)

Ridiculous scores from the so called gaming press as usual. Is it so much to ask for a little integrity? How a game which only ships half on the disc requiring you to purchase the rest in DLC gets near perfect scores is beyond me and only Eurogamer even seem to bother mention it.

Apart from both consoles being completely unready and rushed there is another reason im sitting out of next gen at the moment with all the nefarious DLC content and microtransactions. I'm sick of it.

It doesn't ship "half on the disc". The retail game is the entire game. That is what these reviewers are rating, because that's what you get when you pay the retail price.

Everyone judges the value of a game differently, based on the content they want & the quality they expect, but it doesn't make sense to judge the retail game based on the future supplementary content that you're not getting in the box.

If a major expected feature is ripped from a game, just to sell later, then obviously that's going negatively impact how buyers rate the boxed game.

But not because it's DLC, not even because it's ripped from the game. whilst that's all pretty gross, it's because it's an expected major piece of content that is not in the boxed game that impacts it's value negatively.

Then again lots of people might not care for that content & still see value in the retail game.

From what I gathered from the interviews with Turn 10 few months ago, then the A.I. will continue to improve as more people play the game. In other words it's still learning. It's like telling a kid it's stupid before even giving it chance to study.

Quality over quantity seems to apply to this game and that's a good thing, casual players don't care if they can't play every single car there is and the enthusiasts will pay for the DLC. It's not like they are cutting away an important part of the story as this game is not even story driven.

Think if this was a problem with first person shooters, not releasing a game without every single gun in the world would result in bad reviews....

I'm having a hard time finding a next-gen game that looks better than FM5, at least based on the videos so far.

Sure, GT6 might eventually make it past FM5, but that has less to do with the slight edge the PS4 has performance wise and more to do with the later launch (meaning more hands-on time with the actual hardware).

Remind me where i mentioned anything about specific tracks? Oh, that's right. I didn't do that. The problem isn't a specific track missing, it's the sheer amount of content in total missing. Along with the fact that the very high priced season pass dlc doesn't even come close to making up what's missing.

But it's not missing, you claiming it's missing doesn't make it missing.  

and complaining about the high priced season pass shows that there's a general lack of understanding of the amount of work going into not just modelling these cars, but making all the physics work right and making them drive right. just the modeling alone on these next gen cars, is an insane amount of man hours, remember they have to model a lot of parts you never see, then they have to set up the inverse kinematic links perfectly, then they have to set up the physics for the inverse kinematics, then they have to test them for thousands of hours in-between tweaking to check their their physics actually match the real world.

there's a league of difference in the work going into these next gen cars than there was in the past, and even then it was insane. but I suppose they should just give away their work ? 

If you don't want high quality next gen quality cars and physics. Forza 4 is still out there. Still a great game. 

But it's not missing, you claiming it's missing doesn't make it missing.  

and complaining about the high priced season pass shows that there's a general lack of understanding of the amount of work going into not just modelling these cars, but making all the physics work right and making them drive right. just the modeling alone on these next gen cars, is an insane amount of man hours, remember they have to model a lot of parts you never see, then they have to set up the inverse kinematic links perfectly, then they have to set up the physics for the inverse kinematics, then they have to test them for thousands of hours in-between tweaking to check their their physics actually match the real world.

there's a league of difference in the work going into these next gen cars than there was in the past, and even then it was insane. but I suppose they should just give away their work ? 

If you don't want high quality next gen quality cars and physics. Forza 4 is still out there. Still a great game. 

Yeah... all that work happened with Forza 4 as well. 

I'm having a hard time finding a next-gen game that looks better than FM5, at least based on the videos so far.

Sure, GT6 might eventually make it past FM5, but that has less to do with the slight edge the PS4 has performance wise and more to do with the later launch (meaning more hands-on time with the actual hardware).

for PS4 it'll be GT7 I believe, and at their rate, FM6 will be out by then :p

Yeah... all that work happened with Forza 4 as well. 

yes it did. at last gen quality, I guess you didn't read past the first line of my post, as I specifically mentioned how the work going into these cars are leagues beyond what they did on the past games. 

Far more model detail, far more mores going into the physics, far more detailed physics calculations far more variables going into the physics calculations and so on. 

Slapping in what they did before, that's what they did with GT5. that's why you had the so called non premium cars. 

Because PD has never lied and broken such promises before....

and if that happens, it'll be all the GT6 assets and physics in a recompiled PS4 graphics engine. otherwise PD would have had to work on two games at the same time for the last several years, they're not very good at working on even one project at a time. 

most likely GT7 will be GT6 in all but hardware and slightly prettier rendering. and then they'll work on the truly next gen GT game. But time will tell. 

I don't categorize them as the same type of game anyway, FM is more of a track day simulator and unless you really enjoy doing the same tracks over and over again to beat your time, it's not a game for you. GT while not a arcade game, leans slightly more in that direction and isn't comfortable in the sim box. They're both good games, and they compete over part of the same crowd, but they're not really the same. 

• Like 1

Because PD has never lied and broken such promises before....

and if that happens, it'll be all the GT6 assets and physics in a recompiled PS4 graphics engine. otherwise PD would have had to work on two games at the same time for the last several years, they're not very good at working on even one project at a time. 

most likely GT7 will be GT6 in all but hardware and slightly prettier rendering. and then they'll work on the truly next gen GT game. But time will tell. 

I don't categorize them as the same type of game anyway, FM is more of a track day simulator and unless you really enjoy doing the same tracks over and over again to beat your time, it's not a game for you. GT while not a arcade game, leans slightly more in that direction and isn't comfortable in the sim box. They're both good games, and they compete over part of the same crowd, but they're not really the same. 

Yeah we all already know, time of day and weather are unrealistic in a driving game.

Yeah we all already know, time of day and weather are unrealistic in a driving game.

I do love skidding in the rain, then bouncing my indestructible car off the walls  :shifty:

I do love skidding in the rain, then bouncing my indestructible car off the walls  :shifty:

Good drivers correct the skid before any impact :P

So you guys can't help yourselves but to start arguing over Forza and GT. A little bit of the old fanboy arguments.

That is shocking to be honest. GT6 is just coming out. If that is true, that means they have been working on GT7 in parallel. It also could mean more recycled assets from GT6.

I know one thing that led to Turn 10 dropping some tracks and cars with Forza 5 was the time it was taking to scan each of those into the system using their new laser scanning technique.