Winamp shutting down on December 20, 2013

Found via Reddit: The end of an era - Winamp will shut down a month from now. 

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Source: Winamp.com

Shame, I used Winamp for ages back in the early 2000s. R.I.P.

Wow, end of an era. I used to use Winamp back in the day, then I switched to iTunes/foobar2000. I was actually thinking about giving it a shot again before I moved to JRiver Media Center.

R.I.P. Winamp. :(

• Like 3

Winamp lost much of its traction because of 3 being pretty crappy. I don't think it ever really gained its following back.

• Like 1

I have been a loyal winamp user, i've used it for 15yrs, i use the classic skin as i don't like the modern look, it also uses way less ram. I'm really sad to see the development stopped. I doubt it will be opensourced.

v5.66 was released today btw.

That's a shame, was my go-to a few years back before switching to Foobar... just got too bloated for my tastes. Been around a good long time.

what?!?! i did NOT see that one coming. not at all.

i associate great times and memories with winamp and winamp.com. i remember it was probably 13-14 years ago when i learnt about the mp3 format, i even installed winamp but had no internet so i spend many weekends with my uncle and downloaded massive ammounts of skins from winamp website - i loved those emulating car-radios :punk:

also later on, when it became a pro version i found their concept fair to still offer a free basic version.

RIP :(

Maybe if I ever paid for the Pro version, things would have been different :(

I've only just started using foo, and I'm happy enough with it, but this is still sad news.

Guess the llamas ass finally got kicked too much! :no:

I'm embarassed by how much I laughed at this. 

R.I.P Winamp, used to use it around 2009 and I remember having a Fast And The Furious skin for it and when you launched Winamp a car would drive out and skid around then the hood would pop open and the controls were in it... I thought I was the bee's knees :p

Wow really surprised to read this. Like everyone else used this back in the day, until I found foobar.

Hopefully the source code will be made public and someone will pick it up reviving it in the near future.

This is really sad news!

I've used Winamp for at least 10 years now :( So much software on my computers have come and gone and Winamp is one of the only ones that stuck!