Microsoft Selling Scroogled Swag

This is not true. You have clear option to turn it off.

You likewise have an option to disable to vast majority of Google's data collection as well...

But that is missing the point of my post...

You likewise have an option to disable to vast majority of Google's data collection as well...

But that is missing the point of my post...

Moving the goal post now? I just said pointed out Windows 8.1 doesn't send anything by default.

Is there a Google service that doesn't collect my data by default?

FTR: I don't care and not bothered by it.

Moving the goal post now? I just said pointed out Windows 8.1 doesn't send anything by default.

Is there a Google service that doesn't collect my data by default?

FTR: I don't care and not bothered by it.

I wasn't attempting to move the Goal Post. I haven't yet used Windows 8.1, but from what I've read by default Windows 8.1 local search sends your queries to MS (even if the results are purely local). Microsoft is increasingly collecting more and more data by default for the same reasons as Google.

http://bgr.com/2013/10/31/windows-8-1-smart-search-advertising/

Your response to my point on that was that you can disable it. That is true, as I acknowledged, but it is still on by default. The collection of our data for advertisers is too attractive a honey pot for anyone to leave alone. Microsoft and Google are one in the same in this regard. As I said, we're increasingly the product being sold and not the customers being served.

the option is presented during windows setup.

Is this the same setup that Microsoft buried local accounts so deep and obscure that few people will even know the option to not use a MS account even exists anymore?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

Is this the same setup that Microsoft buried local accounts so deep and obscure that few people will even know the option to not use a MS account even exists anymore?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

First screenshot in your link

- Express turns it on as seen

- Customize is the option I was referring. Nothing hidden/obscure here.

Buried? It's right on the same page where it asks you to create your Microsoft credentials.  You're either creating a new Microsoft account or creating a new local account... not sure how that classifies as obscure, never mind having anything to do with the topic.

• Like 1

what does that have to do with anything? you stated false info(again, remember your bogus VPN info),and you were corrected. you just admitted you havent even used windows 8.1,so how would you know?

what does that have to do with anything? you stated false info(again, remember your bogus VPN info),and you were corrected. you just admitted you havent even used windows 8.1,so how would you know?

Well I don't count having installed it then moving away from it as using it :)

I did install Windows 8.1 and found the way they buried local accounts very frustrating.

First screenshot in your link

- Express turns it on as seen

- Customize is the option I was referring. Nothing hidden/obscure here.

I was referring to the Local Account creation as obscure. But I still feel this tangent is dragging into an area of splitting hairs and not staying on topic.

As I mentioned earlier, MS is making the claim that Google is collecting massive amounts of data in order to sell to advertisers as such "scroogling" users. Microsoft is doing the same thing was, and still is, my key point. In reality, this is the dirty secret of the tech industry in general. My point isn't that Google is better or worse than Microsoft or even the inverse... It is simply that both companies are moving to collect as much of our data as they can as they chase the same honey pot. Advertisers will pay for that information at a very high premium.

Buried? It's right on the same page where it asks you to create your Microsoft credentials.  You're either creating a new Microsoft account or creating a new local account... not sure how that classifies as obscure, never mind having anything to do with the topic.

I would consider it buried, but we are allowed to disagree.

It starts by only showing you a sign in screen for a Microsoft Account then gives you a tiny link to create said account. Not until you hit the "create account" link which is conveniently located under a heading of "don't have an account?" are you shown that you can create a local account. For all real intents and purposes that is buried.

I don't really like those kinds of ads but for sure google does not have my sympathy. I've seen chrome on a lot of pcs recently and their owner didn't know how it got there.