Photo

is it possible to build a robot to catch bullets?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:26

Aegis cruisers I believe have a radar panel that is able to detect and calculate the trajectory of projectiles for strike back. However you're then talking the size of cannon shells, which is kind of outdated naval battles anyway.

So the technology exist. If you can make it detect small bullet projectiles... Maybe maybe not. You would need a engineer who understands the system fully to answer that. And it would probably collapse on automatic fire anyway.

Main problem would be actuators with the speed to do it. Maybe if it was a 1km or more range shot.

#17 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:50

Having just hi-speed cameras wouldn't cut it - you'd need a processor capable of not only image processing every frame (and we are talking hundreds, if not thousands of frames a second), but then have credible algorithms to detect the speed and pace of the travelling bullet and then make a motor react to the trajectory of the bullet - and even with that, the processor would need to make the correct trajectory estimation within the first second, if that, in order to give the motor enough time to actually get the bullet.

Could a machine do it? Uhh, theoretically, in a controlled environment, sure. I doubt a machine would be able to withstand multiple bullets fired though. However, could a bi-pedal fully automated automaton stop bullets? Not for a long time. 

#18 arachnoid

arachnoid

A day without sunshine is like night.

• 4,745 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:05

As they say in exams always read the question and don't make assumptions

would it be possible to create a robot that could catch bullets that have been fired form a gun?

So by definition the robot does not need to track the direction of attack so its can be static and no particular "bullet"or speed is stipulated,So it could be say a black power device that fires on a preset direction at the "catcher" which could merely be a pad type device swatting Superman style rather than say catching as a sword Myth Busters style.

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:05

The idea behind it is pretty simple, but as others have said, the biggest hurdle is going to be finding a motor that can react fast enough to close the arm/hand, and also have a means of dissipating the kinetic energy to stop the bullet.

You'd use a high speed camera looking at the gun on a side view, and it would need some sort of software running a grid algorithm that knows the distance from the end of the gun barrel to the closest tip of the robotic arm.  From there it can detect when the bullet tip comes out of the barrel and using the grid algorithm, determine the velocity of the bullet.  If the distance is short enough, you can likely neglect gravity and the friction of air.

So yeah, it's fairly easy to determine when the bullet will reach the robotic arm, but since the bullet has so much energy, it would be extremely hard to transfer all that energy away from the bullet almost instantly.

#20 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:19

Hello,

A robot itself could not do it but a system dedicated to this would....

Between the robot and the gun, there would be a area that is marked and would be monitored each milisecond. Once a object is detected, it should be able to calculate its speed and direction. Since this area is monitored, it will know when the object will read the robot and predict in "catching it"

We have motors here at my work that move every 4ms. From a distance beyond 1000m, the robot should be able to catch ONE bullet.

More than one and things get VERY complicated.

#21 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,769 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:25

I doubt it very much. I don't think anything would be able to process it fast enough. By the time it has worked out its speed and distance. The bullet will have probably already hit.

Under test conditions and knowing the speed and distance it would travel, then it would be very easy to it.

I'm sure the Mythbusters have already done this.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:32

http://ieeexplore.ie...rnumber=5494435

these guys seem to know how to do the tracking at least :)

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:35

I'm sure the Mythbusters have already done this.

They did something similar actually:

http://kwc.org/mythb...g_a_bullet.html