Photo

Sony doesn't want your PS4 returned full of spiders (Kotaku)

ps4 sony

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:44

Back when I did computer repairs, we used to refuse to service anything that was tobacco stained/damaged and/or bug infected.

I don't want to be breathing in or touching those things!

Tobacco can be used as bugs repellant

#17 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:48

Back when I did computer repairs, we used to refuse to service anything that was tobacco stained/damaged and/or bug infected.

I think people are lazy when their computers become dust laden or bug infested. I check my computer regularly for dust or anything else. Computers should never get to the point where they start getting bugs inside of them.

#18 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:49

Wait, you mean you don't thoroughly enjoy scooping tobacco flavored mud out of a computer? :o

#19 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 November 2013 - 18:32

Man, I have nightmares about the gross pcs we would see come in to be repaired.

I think the smoke filled ones were the worst for me personally. That smell is just overwhelming.

Some people simply don't care to try and take care of electronics. Its not really that hard either. I have a small compressor and it does wonders to clean out my pcs and other electronics without much effort.

#20 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:49

Back when you did repairs your refused to service anything that was damaged? What the hell kind of company did you work for?  :s

What's the big deal about tobacco? Put some gloves on.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:59

Apparently If your PlayStation 4 breaks, Sony doesn't want you returning it full of spiders or other infestations.  Which is fair.

attachicon.gifps4.JPG

Read More Here

http://kotaku.com/so...-ps4-1468441841

No actually, spiders are ok, insects aren't ;)

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:01

Back when you did repairs your refused to service anything that was damaged? What the hell kind of company did you work for?  :s

Tobacco stained/tobacco damaged. 

#23 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:47

Sounds self-righteous to refuse to repair something because its owner smoked. You fix their device, they pay you money. You're not going to get cancer because you touched something that is smoke stained.  :rolleyes:

#24 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:48

But if they wont repair it if you fill it with spiders, how are you supposed to show your dissatisfaction? :p

#25 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:17

Hello,

Sounds self-righteous to refuse to repair something because its owner smoked. You fix their device, they pay you money. You're not going to get cancer because you touched something that is smoke stained.  :rolleyes:

Damaged by tabacco.

Tabacco smoke (well any type of smoke almost) damages computer components so a slow PC because its processor, RAM, etc is damaged cannot be repaired correctly because the connectors might be damaged too.

I agree with the policy. And at most, a additional subcharge for cleaning out the PC first before servicing it and absolutly no promise about fixing it as it may be beyond repair.

Maybe its not a issue in Australia.

#26 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:40

Having to go into their house on the other hand is another story, from what I'm told.

#27 Nilus

Nilus

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:45

Yep. Any electronics used in a house with smokers should have their warranty voided immediately.

Agreed 100%.  Whenever I repaired machines for smokers in the past the insides were a health hazard. REALLY nasty.  Anyone who thinks it makes no difference has obviously never taken a look inside a smokers machine, it gets really clogged.

#28 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:45

This reminds me of the video I seen on youtrube of a guy who bought a wii for cheap cause the seller said it wouldnt read discs. He opens it up and finds 5 roaches in there, takes them out and it workes fine again.

#29 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:18

Hello,
Damaged by tabacco.
Tabacco smoke (well any type of smoke almost) damages computer components so a slow PC because its processor, RAM, etc is damaged cannot be repaired correctly because the connectors might be damaged too.

I agree with the policy. And at most, a additional subcharge for cleaning out the PC first before servicing it and absolutly no promise about fixing it as it may be beyond repair.

Maybe its not a issue in Australia.

I didn't say you shouldn't charge them for cleaning, my point was you shouldn't refuse the job based on smoke damage. If it is beyond repair you try to sell them a new computer. Considering how much competition there is in this area it is silly to refuse perfectly good work.

Just the way I see it.

#30 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:54

We used to do warranty repairs, not paid for repairs (other than accidental damage and what have you - but even then, tobacco damage was a no go). And yes, policy was to refuse anything that was tobacco damaged.

If I'm working on an open computer, I don't really want the fan to kick in after I've been working on it, blowing tobacco dust over everything, and then possibly breathing it in. There were several things which were considered a 'health hazard', which we weren't allowed to service (tobacco, bodily fluids, etc).