While the launch of the PlayStation 4 has been an inarguable success, Sony hasn't had a lot of time to pop open the champagne. Instead, the company has found itself on the defensive as the Internet has been filled with tales of PS4 hardware failures.

Sony points out that fewer than than one percent of the units sold are defective - but when that works out to as many as 10,000 consoles, it's still a PR nightmare.

The 1 percent figure is a slight upward revision from the initial estimate of 0.4 percent - but still within Sony's "expected range". The company says it does not believe there is a singular problem with the PS4. They hope to alleviate fears of a systemic breakdown such as Microsoft faced with the Xbox 360's infamous "Red Ring of Death".

"There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn't a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units," the company said in a statement. "We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1 percent, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction. We understand the frustration of consumers that have had a problem and are working with them and our retail partners to help troubleshoot issues and ensure affected units are exchanged."

th?id=H.4937929391343028&pid=15.1&H=94&W

That consumer frustration is spilling out in inconvenient - and very public - places, though. On Amazon's PS4 hardware page, 757 of the 3,111 reviews - roughly 25 percent - give the system just one star, with many of those users complaining of hardware issues, including the so-called "blue light of death". (Once any hardware issue acquires a nickname, it becomes a PR crisis.)

That particular problem occurs when users try to boot up the system. Some PS4 units never make it to the home screen, leaving users staring at a blinking blue line atop the box.

more

If people didn't see this coming from a device on day one, they only have themselves to blame. Heck, faults happen with devices that have been out for months, everyone should know that it's a risk you take buying a brand-spanking new piece of kit.

• Like 3

If people didn't see this coming from a device on day one, they only have themselves to blame. Heck, faults happen with devices that have been out for months, everyone should know that it's a risk you take buying a brand-spanking new piece of kit.

Very true. I'm planning to get an Xbox One, but not for a few months, after any problems have been found and sorted. Maybe for my birthday in March I'll treat myself.

Aw man I got through 7 PS2's in the first year after launch. Gave up and demanded a refund after the 7th one. Stuck to playing it at my friends, who had a PS2 which never got a single issue. Jumped on the Original Xbox when it launched, which conveniently died 2 weeks before the 360 launched.

Some of the first games that I got for the PS2 was the Spiderman game, Gran Turismo 3, Smugglers run, and Midnight Club 1.  The PS2 was an awesome console in its day, and the graphics were amazing considering the jump from the PS1 to PS2.

Very true. They are essentially beta testers and don't know it.