massachusetts ivy league school newspaper queen victoria probably vancouver

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#166 trieste

trieste

Neowinian

• 220 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:21

You do not know the personal lives of those individuals.  

You do realize there are some people that work multiple jobs (especially these days), never get days off, have a family to feed, and a lot more pressing matters.  ALSO, we have a lot of crap going on in our own country to learn and read up about.  Right now most people's insurance are changing.

Let me ask you guys, do you remember every single thing you learned from elementary/high school?  I bet there are a few things you forgot.  So why the hell is it a big deal that people forget the capital of a country they learned years ago but NEVER USED that knowledge.

Whoa there. (If I were a nastier Neowin poster you would have seen the sexist phrase "don't get your panties in a bunch")

Fact 1: People who are smart enough to go to Harvard do make it one of their intellectual stimulations and passions the knowing of all sorts of trivia. Like hobby collectors of the soundbite sort. (Whom we would call "karang guni men" in my part of the world, ironically, a region which the average American would consider backward and uneducated). And based on personal and social experience I'm making less of an assumption about their intellectual pursuits than you are about their "economic hardships".

Fact 2: The original grouse was about Harvard undergraduates. You managed to introduce the red herring of the general population and rant about that instead, I know not how.

Fact 3: Some of us don't learn Ottawa in geography in school. We had books and we devoured their content. A probably more interesting fact was that Queen Victoria was the one who chose Ottawa. It should be interesting enough for a genuine lover of knowledge to begin to search for her reasons.

#167 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,289 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 13:54

I certainly don't invade other countries. :rolleyes:

Practising my preaching now!

I don't either.

Consider your preaching practiced. 

:rolleyes:

#168 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,379 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 15:42

Id gladly invade anywhere with nice Boobies

c07a392536a0f0b23a1ea92776e78738.png

#169 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:15

The knowledge of a few principles can eliminate the need to know many facts.

The primary function of the undergraduate level of education is to teach students how to work with massive amounts of data without getting lost and where to go to dig missing data.

As you go higher up to masters and phd level, the main goal shifts to the development of one's ability to propose new ideas, hypothesises, and theories.

/thread

#170 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 669 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:57

I didn't realize all those students went to Harvard to learn geography...

#171 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,590 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:14

Whoa there. (If I were a nastier Neowin poster you would have seen the sexist phrase "don't get your panties in a bunch")

Fact 1: People who are smart enough to go to Harvard do make it one of their intellectual stimulations and passions the knowing of all sorts of trivia. Like hobby collectors of the soundbite sort. (Whom we would call "karang guni men" in my part of the world, ironically, a region which the average American would consider backward and uneducated). And based on personal and social experience I'm making less of an assumption about their intellectual pursuits than you are about their "economic hardships".

Fact 2: The original grouse was about Harvard undergraduates. You managed to introduce the red herring of the general population and rant about that instead, I know not how.

Fact 3: Some of us don't learn Ottawa in geography in school. We had books and we devoured their content. A probably more interesting fact was that Queen Victoria was the one who chose Ottawa. It should be interesting enough for a genuine lover of knowledge to begin to search for her reasons.

Did I say they do not know trivia?  I know a lot of trivia, but I would have said Toronto.  They can know all the trivia they want, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to know Ottawa is the capital.

Who cares if they are Harvard undergrads or some Joe Somebody who did not make it past High School.  You do NOT know every single fact in the world.  It just is NOT possible.  So just because they are a Harvard student, they MUST know EVERY BIT of trivia?  Why?  If they are amazing at their field, they have just the right to be at Harvard as anybody else.

#172 trieste

trieste

Neowinian

• 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:02

Did I say they do not know trivia?  I know a lot of trivia, but I would have said Toronto.  They can know all the trivia they want, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to know Ottawa is the capital.

Who cares if they are Harvard undergrads or some Joe Somebody who did not make it past High School.  You do NOT know every single fact in the world.  It just is NOT possible.  So just because they are a Harvard student, they MUST know EVERY BIT of trivia?  Why?  If they are amazing at their field, they have just the right to be at Harvard as anybody else.

You know a lot of trivia, but the trivia content you know grows along the lines of places, events and people that you are personally interested about. This is true for the average person, and the difference between an average person and a Harvard student is that if anything, a Harvard student should epitomise the characteristic of being hungry for knowledge, whether they be isolated snippets of trivia or entire systems of philosophy. If such hunger does not extend far out beyond their core undergraduate studies, the US as a nation should worry indeed.

No one said they must know every single bit of trivia, only you came up with this strawman. People are putting forth the argument that Canada is adjacent to the USA; if it's not a lack of hunger for knowledge, or intellectual laziness, then what can it be? A self-centred "who cares if it doesn't make me money or advance my career" ?