I just don't like slow games, I never said people who like the game are ignorant that's your assumption. 

My gaming taste is my own and I was only projecting my own tastes, I like many genres and your original assumption was that I didn't like hack and slash games which I pointed out you were incorrect I do like them I just don't like Ryse. Now am I supposed to say I liked it and was a good game just cause other people thought it was okay? No cause that's what a review is. An honest opinion on the game at hand.

- Thread title = Ryse: Son of Rome reviews.

Your opinion is all OK but your posts are giving out a wrong vibe. You are downplaying the graphics as "decent" when they are one of the best launch graphics on either consoles. You have said people like Ryse because they don't have other games to play, which is certainly and completely wrong.

Personally I find your expectation that Ryse would be good only if it was like GodOW or if it was "fast paced" a bit weird (in addition to unnecessary and arguably wrong car comparison). This is like a CoD player complaining about BF4 or Halo multiplayer.

Games have different styles and it's ok to not like a style/gameplay but you are stating opinions as facts.

Out of interest, I've seen God of War mentioned a few times, but I tend to associate it with mythology and creatures/gods/demons and what not. Does Ryse have mythical ties? I'm pretty sure there is elephants, but I don't think Hades drops in for a battles or two, does he? lol.

Out of interest, I've seen God of War mentioned a few times, but I tend to associate it with mythology and creatures/gods/demons and what not. Does Ryse have mythical ties? I'm pretty sure there is elephants, but I don't think Hades drops in for a battles or two, does he? lol.

There are two Gods that are involved in the story, but they are more like puppeteers in the background rather than openly interacting with humans like they do in GoW.

As spacer said, they are just part of the story, never part of the gameplay.  I personally mention God Of War when talking about Ryse not because of the story, but because the gameplay is the same genre of game. However Ryse is a much more simplistic game at the end of the day. Much more simplistic. It has a much slower pacing. Just the fact Kratos can jump and the dude from Ryse (Marcus I think?) cannot means the combat, while in a similar genre, is very different.

While some call the gameplay in Ryse simple/basic when compared to GoW, I'd rather call it more realistic.  That said I doubt this will be the only title they do.  I'm sure they're already talking about what to do for Ryse 2.

I just don't like slow games, I never said people who like the game are ignorant that's your assumption. 

My gaming taste is my own and I was only projecting my own tastes, I like many genres and your original assumption was that I didn't like hack and slash games which I pointed out you were incorrect I do like them I just don't like Ryse. Now am I supposed to say I liked it and was a good game just cause other people thought it was okay? No cause that's what a review is. An honest opinion on the game at hand.

- Thread title = Ryse: Son of Rome reviews.

Oh boy, talk about you making an assumption now.

Never once did I question your opinion of the game nor did I say you should lie about your impressions.

I was pointing out your impressions of OTHER user comments. You were trying to paint user that had a different view than yours in a negative light. You made excuses for why people might enjoy this game. I just don't think that's ok.

So please, stick to sharing your impressions of a game. Good or bad, its helpful to everyone to have a wide range of honest impressions.

Yeah but is not that the main difference between something average, good, great or extra-ordinary?

I mean you'll always be able to find at the very least one people who enjoyed a piece of entertainment no matter how bad or good it is. Something great is supposed to be great for most. The more people think it is great the closer it is from being extra-ordinary. The more people think it is not the closer it is from being average. If just half or less of people truly think something is great then it becomes what we call a guilty pleasure (like Tron the original movie). Something we enjoy but we reliase is not technically great.

You can know something is really awesome when you can hear people say "i did not like it but it was still a great movie or game". I don't like GTA personally (don't like sandbox games) but i can realise it is a great game.

I think the problem is that for some reason, you guys think that enjoying a game means that it was awesome or perfect.

Its almost as if anyone with interest in a game that others deem unplayable must be driven down a peg or two, cant let them have any fun.

There are a lot of average games in the world. I think Ryse happens to be one of those average games. Of course its not an instant classic that is universally praised. Yet, like many average games, many people end up having fun playing it and enjoying it. Its a case of the flaws being masked by features of the game that appeal to those gamers.

I really don't know why this is a controversial thing. My whole point at the beginning was to say that its silly to try and guess why others like a game that you do not.

While some call the gameplay in Ryse simple/basic when compared to GoW, I'd rather call it more realistic.  That said I doubt this will be the only title they do.  I'm sure they're already talking about what to do for Ryse 2.

Its made by Crytek the same guys behind Far Cry, Crysis & Warface (Browser game)

They are currently working on Home Front 2 but if the game sells well I'm sure they will make another.

-Further research.

http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/will-we-see-a-ryse-2-sooner-than-we-thought/

Looks like Crytek are hiring ex-God of War directors for an unannounced project (Home Front 2 is announced it's not that). Possibly Ryse 2.

Its made by Crytek the same guys behind Far Cry, Crysis & Warface (Browser game)

They are currently working on Home Front 2 but if the game sells well I'm sure they will make another.

-Further research.

http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/will-we-see-a-ryse-2-sooner-than-we-thought/

Looks like Crytek are hiring ex-God of War directors for an unannounced project (Home Front 2 is announced it's not that). Possibly Ryse 2.

Well if they are serious about Ryse as a franchise, then I hope they put a lot of effort into improving the gameplay side. That's clearly where most of the flaws are mentioned.

Hope it becomes a series, haven't experienced it yet but I know I will like it.

As trooper said, opinion isn't a binary thing. You can enjoy something without thinking it was awesome. I enjoy and really like Knack, but will trade it in as soon as done with the campaign. I just don't feel its a keeper. Same with Ryse for many.

Just picked up Ryse from Best Buy tonight.  It being $39.99 for the week, so why not.  I have yet to open the game and install it.  Now comes the delima for me, as I was not impressed with anything outside of the GORGEOUS GRAPHICS from Ryse.  My nephew got it for Christmas, and he is loving it.  He tends to like the same games I like.  Maybe I'll drop by and play his before opening the one I got...

I wouldnt rate it as "brilliant". I just wish there was a little more variety in the combat. Maybe unlock some more devastating moves.

Also I wish you weren't such a one army most if the time. Come on you're in charge of 100 men, why do you fight alone so much? Being a part of the bigger picture and fighting alongside allies was such a draw for me in the original Call of duty over the early medal of honours.

Well I just fully chieved Ryse. Or I should say, I SHOULD HAVE just fully chieved it. The damn "collect all chronicles" achievement didn't unlock for me despite me finding every one of them. The achievement even says "100%" in the achievement app, but it's still locked. Good job Crytek. One more glitch to add to the pile.

Well I just fully chieved Ryse. Or I should say, I SHOULD HAVE just fully chieved it. The damn "collect all chronicles" achievement didn't unlock for me despite me finding every one of them. The achievement even says "100%" in the achievement app, but it's still locked. Good job Crytek. One more glitch to add to the pile.

Can't you just call tech support or something? I don't know how it works.

I royally hate it when developers don't patch their games for issues like this. I believe Crytek even had a similar situation with Crysis 2, which they never resolved.

I finally decided to open Ryse (still was very, very weary of having buyers remorse), and I am having a good time with it.

Let's get this out the way now, I know what I'm saying is cliche but, Ryse is pure eye candy, which we all know is Crytek's main specialty.

I would have never bought Ryse at full retail price ($60 in the USofA), saw it at Best Buy for $40 and said why not.

Let's get the flaws out the way now. All the barbarians must be each other's, brothers, fathers, uncles, sons, grand fathers in some sort of weird Jerry Springer, Maury Povich episode. As they all are literally the same character, that's runs up to you to be slaughtered.

Yep it's a hack and slash kinda affair, either you love it or hate it. There is no thinking to it (even in the hardest difficulty available at first start up), just time ur first strike or deflection, and whale away...

I'm not going to delve much further, as what I'm saying has been said a million times over...

I am somewhat enjoying the story (though I am only on the 2nd chapter and only about 1/2 through it)

Ryse can be much more, if Crytek throws it back in the oven and let it bake for 2yrs or so. A foundation is already there.

I finally decided to open Ryse (still was very, very weary of having buyers remorse), and I am having a good time with it.

Let's get this out the way now, I know what I'm saying is cliche but, Ryse is pure eye candy, which we all know is Crytek's main specialty.

I would have never bought Ryse at full retail price ($60 in the USofA), saw it at Best Buy for $40 and said why not.

Let's get the flaws out the way now. All the barbarians must be each other's, brothers, fathers, uncles, sons, grand fathers in some sort of weird Jerry Springer, Maury Povich episode. As they all are literally the same character, that's runs up to you to be slaughtered.

Yep it's a hack and slash kinda affair, either you love it or hate it. There is no thinking to it (even in the hardest difficulty available at first start up), just time ur first strike or deflection, and whale away...

I'm not going to delve much further, as what I'm saying has been said a million times over...

I am somewhat enjoying the story (though I am only on the 2nd chapter and only about 1/2 through it)

Ryse can be much more, if Crytek throws it back in the oven and let it bake for 2yrs or so. A foundation is already there.

The hardest difficulty is not available upon first start up. You have to beat the game once to unlock Legendary mode, which is "harder" than Centurion. It's still easy though, you just get less o a bonus for executions and the enemies take one or two more hits to "kill". I think Centurion should have been "normal" and Legendary should have been "hard", with a harder difficulty after that.

You may like the game more on Legendary, I know I did.

When it comes to difficulty levels in games it depends on the type of gamer one is. For example I play for a good story so I'm fine with a setting of normal while others play more for a challenge and not so much for the story so they go for the hardest level. 

Yes, difficulty not an issue for me in games and like you a good story and good presentation over ride that. However, Showan's review leaves me worried if I want to pay for this...having the same characters over and over is annoying, especially when most of the experience revolves around fighting them

I found that in Gladiator mode that I have some real bad slow downs.  I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else.  It does it quite a bit in the matches.

I found that in Gladiator mode that I have some real bad slow downs.  I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else.  It does it quite a bit in the matches.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone else to try and play Gladiator mode with, but I have played it a bit solo and it hasn't slowed down for me yet. Does it seem to happen during a certain time during the matches?

I've played this a fair few times and I haven't experienced any issues at all, are you sure it's not just lag?

• 1 month later...

Small bump but best topic for this news

Microsoft reflects on Ryse review scores: ?Metacritic is a complicated topic?

Friday, 14th February 2014 10:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Ryse: Son of Rome?s middling review scores have been discussed by Microsoft Studios head Mike Ybarra, who suggests that despite the numbers, plenty of people still enjoyed Crytek?s skull-crushing Roman epic.

Crytek?s development crunch towards the end of Ryse development created a deal of controversy in the industry and served as the basis for my investigation into crunch-time culture. Read it for a harrowing, damning look at the way developers are crunched.

Speaking with MyXboxLive about the game?s critical reception, Ybarra said, ?Metacritic is a complicated topic in our industry. At first, it was hard to see the numbers as they were lower than we wanted. That?s always hard on any game team that puts a lot of time and effort into a game.

?On the other hand, we did see a lot of gamers saying they loved the game. If you look on Amazon, we are rated 4 out of 5 stars by direct consumers. While there were certainly things we wished we could have gotten in the game and we understand the key criticism, we are proud of Ryse and think it is a fun experience for our audience.?

Elsewhere, Ybarra explaiend that Crytek?s priority with Ryse was to make it a visual show-piece for the new Xbox One console. ?From the very first concept phase of Ryse, we knew making the game visually stunning was important,? he explained.

?It?s really a set of trade-offs that are made across a wide range of different topics from effects, resolution, scripted/dynamic instances, etc. that when added up brings together both the visual and emotional experience you want users to have.

?I think the point that gets lost a lot is that it?s all a game of trade-offs. Resolution alone is not the final determination regarding if a game looks great or not, it?s one of many different levers and it?s up to the game teams to decide what is best for their unique game experience.?

What did you think of Ryse: Son of Rome? Let us know below.

Via OXM.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/14/microsoft-reflects-on-ryse-review-scores-metacritic-is-a-complicated-topic/

http://www.totalxbox.com/71361/microsoft-on-the-ryse-xbox-one-reviews-it-was-hard-to-see-the-numbers/

Count me in with the crowd that loves this game. Already playing the campaign a second time, this time centurion. Legendary is too hard. Visuals are nice but clearly just boosted from 360, not even close to reflecting X1 specs. Single player is fantastic and addictive, MP is very ho hum. Just horde mode with very slow progression. I'm not sure why people hated this game but loved stuff like NFS Rivals, which I think is quite bad. Games should be fun, not a chore, but to each their own.

Visuals are nice but clearly just boosted from 360, not even close to reflecting X1 specs

The detail of those teeth beg to differ :D

Seriously though, Marius' armour is probably the most beautiful thing I've seen recently, those reflections are damn pretty.