Samsung to pay Apple $290m (

A California jury found that Samsung used Apple designs in 13 older products

A Silicon Valley jury has ruled that Samsung must pay $290m (?180m) to Apple for copying iPhone and iPad features in its devices.

This verdict comes after a previous jury found Samsung owed Apple $1.05bn for copyright infringement.

However, US District Judge Lucy Koh ordered a new trial because she said that jury miscalculated the amount Samsung owed.

Samsung is expected to appeal.

The jury's ruling covers 13 of the 26 Samsung devices that Apple had argued copied its technology.

The $290m figure comes on top of the $550m Samsung owes Apple as a result of the initial verdict.

Apple shares traded slightly higher on the news. Samsung closed down slightly earlier in the day.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25041852

If you get to copy so blatantly, you should pay for it.  Justice served.

What did they copy ?? How the icon;s are designed ? Bitch Plzzzzz

How about Apple copying features from Android and Windows Phone ??

Typical BS

• Like 7

Ask the jury.

Really ? :rolleyes:

We already know that the patent regulations are a joke, specially software patents, and rounded corner devices :rofl:

Steve Jobs already said in the past what he thinks about copying. If you improve on it, then it's for the best. Everything is going to look the same at one point or the other. They are freaking smartphones and tablets for gods sakes.

• Like 2

Apple is pure evil!! I don't think Samsungs phones look like Apples iPhones at all.

• Like 1

Really ? :rolleyes:

We already know that the patent regulations are a joke, specially software patents, and rounded corner devices :rofl:

And until the patent regulations get changed, companies will pay for copying.  Very simple.

Best example about how stupid the general public are. I have a Nexus 5 with spigen neo-hybrid case right now, and someone asked me if I just got a new iPhone ...

I was speechless

I rest my case

• Like 1

Some people say give Apple a break,  :rolleyes:

I say we need to put more criticism and pressure on them!

Best example about how stupid the general public are. I have a Nexus 5 with spigen neo-hybrid case right now, and someone asked me if I just got a new iPhone ...

I was speechless

I rest my case

spigen neo-hybrid case?

I have no idea wtf that means...

I think the word you were looking for was "ignorant". A person isn't stupid simply because they aren't familiar with your phone...

spigen neo-hybrid case?

I have no idea wtf that means...

I think the word you were looking for was "ignorant". A person isn't stupid simply because they aren't familiar with your phone...

How about google it ? It's a case brand

How can people not recognize that an iPhone as a much smaller screen and a big home button. Seriously ....

Nexus 5 doesn't look anything like an iPhone.

snipped

And when the government tries to change software patent systems, this happens:

IBM, Microsoft strike a blow against patent-troll reform

Edited by Geoffrey B.
snipped hidden post

snipped

If anyone things this was just about patents is being fooled.  It has more to do with Apple/Jobs not liking Android and suing them out of existence.  Do a search for the many other products that copied Apple's design...and I willing to bet if they were making as much as Samsung, they would get sued as well.

Edited by Geoffrey B.
snipped hidden post content
  • Like 1

If anyone things this was just about patents is being fooled.  It has more to do with Apple/Jobs not liking Android and suing them out of existence.  Do a search for the many other products that copied Apple's design...and I willing to bet if they were making as much as Samsung, they would get sued as well.

Maybe so, but it still doesn't negate the fact that Samsung stole Apple's property.  The main point is absolutely about patents and Samsung infringing on them.

Maybe so, but it still doesn't negate the fact that Samsung stole Apple's property.  The main point is absolutely about patents and Samsung infringing on them.

Not saying Samsung should be excused.  Saying Apple has it out for them and that is the main reason for getting sued.