Samsung to pay Apple $290m (

so? a phone? please tell me where the speaker should go? im pretty sure people want to hear? what about the button? put it on the back? the icon grid is pretty much any android phone...stop trolling and go back under your bridge

I'm not trolling, just pointing out some obvious similarities.

I still would have anyone who thinks that samsung didn't do some form of copying to look at this article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/apples-case-that-samsung-copied-the-iphone-and-ipad-in-pictures/

Look at samsung's design's pre-2007 and then their designs post-2007.

For that matter look at anyone. every single phone manufacturer uses the same exact design concept for a smart phone now. and several of them were in development and came out near the same time as the iPhone. its a flat rectangle usually with one or more buttons at the bottom.

• Like 1

I still would have anyone who thinks that samsung didn't do some form of copying to look at this article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/apples-case-that-samsung-copied-the-iphone-and-ipad-in-pictures/

Look at samsung's design's pre-2007 and then their designs post-2007.

Not too bad of an article.  I like how Apple actually went and showed Samsung that you can create different smartphones without copying.

For that matter look at anyone. every single phone manufacturer uses the same exact design concept for a smart phone now. and several of them were in development and came out near the same time as the iPhone. its a flat rectangle usually with one or more buttons at the bottom.

That's not what I mean.  Samsung was designing and producing some great phone pre-2007...look at the samsung jack.  Then the iphone comes along and suddenly all imagination goes out the door.  It's like the kid with his face pressed up against the glass of the candy store going "I want, I want, I want."

iphone4-vs-galaxy-s-head.jpg

Yeah... "completely" different. :rolleyes:

Really?

It is very easy to arrange a UI to mimic something else.

Maybe we should instead CLOSE the app drawer and look at what people use as the normal UI when not finding an app?  

@Android users, do you walk around with your app drawer open 24/7?

This image was designed to make them look as close alike as possible.  Out of the box, and normal usage, its nothing like that.

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Caught+Using+Photoshop+to+Fake+More+Pics+in+Lawsuits/article22500.htm

• Like 1

Really?

It is very easy to arrange a UI to mimic something else.

Maybe we should instead CLOSE the app drawer and look at what people use as the normal UI when not finding an app?

@Android users, do you walk around with your app drawer open 24/7?

This image was designed to make them look as close alike as possible. Out of the box, and normal usage, its nothing like that.

Opening the app drawer isn't out of the box and normal usage?

At least think about what you're saying before posting. :p

Opening the app drawer isn't out of the box and normal usage?

At least think about what you're saying before posting. :p

Read the line just above.

Read before you post :p

• Like 1

iphone4-vs-galaxy-s-head.jpg

Yeah... "completely" different. :rolleyes:

I find it funny Apple had to cherry pick screenshots, were caught redhanded photoshopping Aspect Ratios and screensizes to help their side etc.

post-350302-0-77903400-1385575171.jpg

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Caught+Using+Photoshop+to+Fake+More+Pics+in+Lawsuits/article22500.htm

• Like 1

I find it funny Apple had to cherry pick screenshots, were caught redhanded photoshopping Aspect Ratios and screensizes to help their side etc.

attachicon.gifApple_Caught_Manipulating_More_Samsung_Photos_in_Legal_Filings_1.jpg

Defend it however you like. The average non-smartphone geek COULD confuse the two devices. Case in point; the jury found Samsung guilty. 

Apple didn't need to modify the screenshots so I don't know why they did. 

Defend it however you like. The average non-smartphone geek COULD confuse the two devices. Case in point; the jury found Samsung guilty. 

They won the cases with manipulated images and cherry picked screens.

If their case was so genuine, why did they feel the need to tamper and present false evidence?

• Like 1

They won the cases with manipulated images and cherry picked screens.

If their case was so genuine, why did they feel the need to tamper and present false evidence?

You're aware that Samsung appealed and they've still been ordered to pay damages - just less?

Whatever Apple did obviously didn't play a huge part in the case considering Samsung has lost twice.

You're aware that Samsung appealed and they've still been ordered to pay damages - just less?

Whatever Apple did obviously didn't play a huge part in the case considering Samsung has lost twice.

I am aware, I just dislike the fact Apple set out dishonestly from the start. Like they imagined they didn't have a case so they manipulated evidence.

I am aware, I just dislike the fact Apple set out dishonestly from the start. Like they imagined they didn't have a case so they manipulated evidence.

What actually happened with regards to that? Did the court rule that they had doctored evidence? I seem to recall Apple saying it was a mistake.

I know it seems unlikely they'd ever admit to doctoring evidence, but did they really think they'd get away with it? That's what I can't get my head around. I'm leaning towards it being an actual mistake by a stupid employee.

Obviously evidence is scrutinised by multiple people during a trial; could they seriously have thought it wouldn't get noticed? I'm skeptical. 

What actually happened with regards to that? Did the court rule that they had doctored evidence? I seem to recall Apple saying it was a mistake.

I know it seems unlikely they'd ever admit to doctoring evidence, but did they really think they'd get away with it? That's what I can't get my head around. I'm leaning towards it being an actual mistake by a stupid employee.

Obviously evidence is scrutinised by multiple people during a trial; could they seriously have thought it wouldn't get noticed? I'm skeptical. 

Judge Lucy Koh, (Who oversaw all the Samsung vs Apple trials was on Apples side all the way through and threw out Samsungs claim they'd been altered.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/7/3225714/samsung-accuses-apple-tampering-with-evidence

Koh overruled Samsung's objection, stating that "I find it not credible that Apple tampered with these phones." Moving forward, both parties will have to agree together in advance on any images used for joint exhibits, with Judge Koh warning "I'm not going to have this happen again."  

Good thing the patent war didn't involve with early computing. 

- Rectangular screen. Placement of logo, power button, bump at back of device, height/dimension 

- Look of mouse cursor, right click function, number of buttons, scroll wheel, trash bin

etc etc 

I forgot they also offered tampered evidence in the Trials in Germany to get the Samsung Tablet banned. Again they cherry picked the screenshots, manipulated the Galaxy Tablet screenshots so that it became the same aspect ratio and size as the iPad.

post-350302-0-97074900-1385580447.jpg

Judge Lucy Koh, (Who oversaw all the Samsung vs Apple trials was on Apples side all the way through and threw out Samsungs claim they'd been altered.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/7/3225714/samsung-accuses-apple-tampering-with-evidence

I agree. I think the image was probably edited by some less senior member of staff who didn't realise the impact it would have on the trial, rather than being a malicious manipulation. They just couldn't, COULDN'T, have thought they would get away with such a blatant manip. 

attachicon.gifApple_Caught_Manipulating_More_Samsung_Photos_in_Legal_Filings_1.jpg

Yup, they did it with the samsmug tablet range too. I even remember them pulling out a lumia 800 to prove not all smartphones need to look like iphones. And the rebuttal about if it's half covered up it resembles an ipod.

I still believe the market's diven by the consumer, if ios is for you, then you are catered for, if not, you have options.

Edit. Nevermind, I see that you've already posted the tablet images

Edited by Aheer.R.S.

I agree. I think the image was probably edited by some less senior member of staff who didn't realise the impact it would have on the trial, rather than being a malicious manipulation. They just couldn't, COULDN'T, have thought they would get away with such a blatant manip. 

Wow you are naive

Any uninformed buyer does the same thing.

I had someone mistake my Genesis Coupe for a Lexus.

Hyundai certainly didn't rip off Lexus!

Now if I add a body kit and paint it a different color...it could be made to look like a Lexus...which is precisely what those screenshots did.  They doctored one phone to resemble another.

You seriously don't see what is wrong with that?

"If I hold the phone like so...and open the app drawer like this...and then arrange the bottom icons like this...then photoshop the image to be about the same size....OMG, its a damn iPhone clone!"

Wow you are naive

I work in a criminal defence solicitors office and the prosecution (nor, indeed, us) would try such blatant crap because it would be a waste of energy. It would just never work. You call it naive, I call it realistic. 

Any uninformed buyer does the same thing.

I had someone mistake my Genesis Coupe for a Lexus.

Hyundai certainly didn't rip off Lexus!

Now if I add a body kit and paint it a different color...it could be made to look like a Lexus...which is precisely what those screenshots did.  They doctored one phone to resemble another.

It already resembles it, is the point I'm making. The app drawer isn't the home screen, but that doesn't mean the Galaxy S doesn't look like the iPhone - especially with the app drawer open. They are the closest equivalent screens that can be compared on the two phones, as both display the installed applications. 

But it doesn't resemble it past:

Square icons in rows and columns.  I know Apple wants to patent shapes, color, and all but seriously.  You can make something resemble something else with just a tiny bit of effort.

Lets compare home screen to home screen and see how that holds up.  Not lets compare home screen to a drawer of app icons.

Past that, whats similar?  The dock that can hold three shortcuts?

Maybe its that rectangle button at the bottom that looks just like the round menu button on the iPhone.

or wait....they are both black slabs.  Is that it?

Maybe we should look at the back of both of these devices and see how they resemble one another...