Xbox One Owner Impressions

Already sorted it all out, the PS4 camera included a mount for the top of the TV, so just keeping my Kinect at the bottom on top of the Cable Box. Thanks though.

There was a DIY kinect stand post on /r/xboxone. Make your own using a wire hanger? :p

Yeah, my wife would kill me. She is already ###### off over the fact we got a new entertainment center as I was convinced I could hide the wires better on everything. Well, the wires are worse than they have ever been with all these damn cameras and Kinect and hard ethernet wires (I insist on hard wiring everything), and a wire coat hanger Kinect mount would be the straw that broke the camels back for sure. Haha

With that said, I just had to find it. It really is not that bad LOL Wonder if she would even notice.

Already sorted it all out, the PS4 camera included a mount for the top of the TV, so just keeping my Kinect at the bottom on top of the Cable Box. Thanks though.

Yeah, my wife would kill me. She is already ****ed off over the fact we got a new entertainment center as I was convinced I could hide the wires better on everything. Well, the wires are worse than they have ever been with all these damn cameras and Kinect and hard ethernet wires (I insist on hard wiring everything), and a wire coat hanger Kinect mount would be the straw that broke the camels back for sure. Haha

With that said, I just had to find it. It really is not that bad LOL Wonder if she would even notice.

LOL. Yes, it doesn't look that bad, just paint it black.

Hey Larry, thanks for the info. No way you should pay that much for a wheel. That games are not compatible I understand sort of, different architecture and OS etc. But wasn't that wheel USB? Last time I checked USB 3.0 was b/c with USB 2.0...

And yeah its like they switched roles this time, in almost every way. Down to crazed execs that end up leaving.

But the download times for X1 you describe are unacceptable. What happened to all those servers? And 3GB in 90 sec on PSN is quite incredible!

Who is Andrew G? Hmmm sounds familiar...but what happened with your X1 is terrible. Get a new one from them! But I thought you liked playing Feefa in the big seat?

Who is Andrew G? Hmmm sounds familiar...but what happened with your X1 is terrible. Get a new one from them! But I thought you liked playing Feefa in the big seat?

Not sure if serious :P

I'm DrunknMunky

• Like 1

I like my XB1 and love the controller, but the main disappointed to me is how powerful it is, but i knew this going in. I'm used to high-end gaming PC's and playing at higher res than 1080p, and the fact that quite a few games are not even 1080p bothers me. 720p looks nasty. So i wont be buying any game thats 720p no matter how good it is. That resolution is unacceptable, especially combined with 30fps.

When the 360 came out, it almost matched a high-end PC in graphics and power, but these latest consoles are very far behind PC hardware. Neither MS or Sony lose any money on each console sale this time, where as with the 360 and PS3 they both lost considerable money on each console sale at launch because the hardware was better for its time.

Not sure what you are expecting from 499 dollar hardware bro.

The software will only get better, that's a given.   So far there's expected to be a pretty big update to the OS in the 2nd half of 2014 when WP8.1 and the rumored Update 1 for Windows 8.1 are going to be released.  Till then though I expect a steady flow of smaller updates to fix things and maybe add more minor features.   They did push out a small update to the Upload Studio app iirc, which added a few new effect styles or something.

As far as the hardware side goes, even that will get better, the drivers will improve and the SDK and so on while devs tap into more of it to give us better games, this has always been the case with consoles over the years.

• Like 1

So I gave my son a xbone for Christmas along with Assassians Creed, BF4, CoD:Ghosts and ended up buying Madden and full version of Killer Instinct for me. ( I use to slam quarters on killer instinct at the arcade back in the day ).  While I didn't play the xbox 360 much at all, I am playing the x1 a lot.. To the point my son said, "Dad, I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse, I wanted you to come play consoles with me but now I think you are playing to much" lol  Its probably just because its new, but I find myself enjoying it.. The controller feels better to me, I can play FPS's a little better, (I suck at console FPS, I am a PC guy) and I am really digging Killer Instinct and Madden..

• Like 3

Heh heh Andy, yeah knew it was you, but you keep changing ^^ 

Guess this whole real ID thing Sony keep promoting has got you hooked :D

And it's settled, i'm getting an X1, pretty sure...thought i'd settle for a PS4 but she seems lonely and I need moar!

My replacement X1 arrived from MS this morning and so far so good.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Forza from Shopto. They sent me a second copy of Fifa last week, so now I have two (N). Usually they make people pay for returns themselves then reimburse, but they're including the label in the package for me to send back for free. They wouldn't offer me anything extra for screwing it up/having another damaged X1/packaging, but I didn't really expect them too.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from MS on compensation for the whole mess. Hoping I hear something soon from them.

38 days and counting. Almost there :p :cry:

I have the xbox one. I got it for the media capabilities. The voice commands for watching tv rock. I am having a BIG problem with Skype though. my video to somebody else is very pixelated. even when connected directly to the cable mode. Things like my pc and tablets are fine. I am not the only one having this problem.  Xbox and skye refuse to acknowledge the problem.

Seems to be a bug in how Skype detects what the quality should be.

My replacement X1 arrived from MS this morning and so far so good.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Forza from Shopto. They sent me a second copy of Fifa last week, so now I have two (N). Usually they make people pay for returns themselves then reimburse, but they're including the label in the package for me to send back for free. They wouldn't offer me anything extra for screwing it up/having another damaged X1/packaging, but I didn't really expect them too.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from MS on compensation for the whole mess. Hoping I hear something soon from them.

38 days and counting. Almost there :p :cry:

Well its a bittersweet story for sure. At least it sounds like the end is near for you and I'm happy for that.

I have the xbox one. I got it for the media capabilities. The voice commands for watching tv rock. I am having a BIG problem with Skype though. my video to somebody else is very pixelated. even when connected directly to the cable mode. Things like my pc and tablets are fine. I am not the only one having this problem.  Xbox and skye refuse to acknowledge the problem.

Seems to be a bug in how Skype detects what the quality should be.

Interesting issue. You should definitely contact Xbox support and let them know. I have used Skype a couple of times to test it out and the quality was fine, but that doesn't mean its consistent so if you use it a lot, you may have run into some bug.

Glad to hear you got your system Andy, I'm sure it will all be taken care of eventually but the frustration is undeniable. Hope you will enjoy her from now on!

Can you have the xbox automatically go to TV mode upon boot?

no it auto goes to the home screen when you boot it up

Can you have the xbox automatically go to TV mode upon boot?

No.. but when you are at homescreen when the boot is done, press A button as long as the TV app is default in the bigger screen on homescreen.

Unless you can leave Xbox on all the time... and you can turn on/off the TV. So the TV is ready whenever you turn TV on.

no it auto goes to the home screen when you boot it up

this would be my 1st request as a feature.. the ability to choose the default launch tile or app..

this would be my 1st request as a feature.. the ability to choose the default launch tile or app..

That option was added within 7 months of the 360 launch so hopefully they'll add it quickly for X1 too.

Although I'm not sure we'll see an option to choose apps , it might just be auto-start game or go to dashboard. 360 dash was a lot more limited though so hopefully they add more options / flexibility.

That option was added within 7 months of the 360 launch so hopefully they'll add it quickly for X1 too.

Although I'm not sure we'll see an option to choose apps , it might just be auto-start game or go to dashboard. 360 dash was a lot more limited though so hopefully they add more options / flexibility.

Well there really is little excuse for adding more flexibility. Its all based on Windows 8 after all. Heck, its not even using the 8.1 update yet, so they will be incorporating those changes in the form of an update at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure hope you're right trooper, cause that's my main complaint. Got my X1 finally yesterday after much deliberation. Love her, the big, oversized gal. Only played a little. Everything is nice except the slow installs and odd lack of integration with the rest of our XBL accounts. Even on the Xbox site, log in and you see total gamerscore incl. X1 games, but not the X1 activity itself. It also doesn't show on Windows Phone. That's just silly, its supposed to be one account, immersive, ecosystem and all that. Meanwhile, PSN moved just fine from PS3 to PS4, shows everything.

This is quite annoying, but not a deal breaker and hope it gets fixed.

Sure hope you're right trooper, cause that's my main complaint. Got my X1 finally yesterday after much deliberation. Love her, the big, oversized gal. Only played a little. Everything is nice except the slow installs and odd lack of integration with the rest of our XBL accounts. Even on the Xbox site, log in and you see total gamerscore incl. X1 games, but not the X1 activity itself. It also doesn't show on Windows Phone. That's just silly, its supposed to be one account, immersive, ecosystem and all that. Meanwhile, PSN moved just fine from PS3 to PS4, shows everything.

This is quite annoying, but not a deal breaker and hope it gets fixed.

PSN isn't perfect either. On PS3 you won't see who is online if they're using their PS4, for instance. Nor can you receive messages from PS4 owners IIRC.

Lots of work needs to be done on both for cross-communication.

That's true, both of our dearly beloved benefactors seem to be segregating between the "generations". This is not the way to do it. But at least on PSN you can see all your activity without using a third party like exophase.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of impressions in various random threads and it seemed like a good idea to have one place to discuss it among those who've used it.

I've had my Xbox One for a month and for me it's been mostly excellent.  I set it up and calibrated it with what I thought was loud volume and it didn't seem to be able to hear me without me speaking loudly so I recalibrated it with the TV volume just about as loud as it would go (a painful experience, but fortunately short-lived) and ever since I haven't needed to speak louder than conversational volume and the experience is pretty great.  Using voice commands to switch between games, apps, and TV is very slick as it recognizes me probably 95% of the time (if you take out failures due to me saying a command that doesn't exist - it still hears me in those cases, just doesn't do anything).

There was very little learning curve as far as speaking cadence went for me.  As I mentioned above, I think there was more learning in figuring out what commands to say.  What amazed me even more was that after I had set it up and was fooling around for a bit, my fianc?e sat next to me and was able to immediately start controlling it without any instruction and it has had no problems recognizing her either.  I think the first thing I did was 'Xbox Use a Code' on my day 1 achievement code and that worked perfectly, so it was a great start.

Facial recognition is pretty cool as well as many have mentioned.  Controlling TV is cool, but only as more of a complement to using a remote for me.  If I know what channel I want to go to I'll say it, but if I want to look up what's on, I'll usually just use my cable guide as its quicker.  Same with controlling volume, with the exception of mute.  Pause and play are easily used more quickly with Kinect as well.  The really nice aspect as mentioned earlier though is just being able to say 'Xbox Watch TV' when I'm done playing a game instead of messing with inputs and whatnot.  Same with going to a game from TV.  'Xbox Turn Off' to turn my entire system off is excellent as well.

Things that need work based on my experience include 'Xbox On'.  It doesn't recognize that for me at all unless I'm within a couple feet.  From reading online it appears that it's range is decreased while in standby so hopefully that's something that can be fixed.  Also gesture controls seem very clunky to me, though admittedly I haven't had much of a reason to use them so I've only done a little experimentation.  It'd also be nice if they could add some machine learning or at least some feedback so it can better handle when you say commands that don't do anything (so either do what it thinks you want to do, or tell you that what you're saying isn't a command).

• Like 2