Xbox One Owner Impressions

They don't have stock of the bundle any more so the only option is to return. They had the cheek to tell me they can see shops with stock who do. Amazon sellers touts who are selling it for ?799 ($1300). More have gone up for sale since then and they're trying to beat each other so the price has come down, but that isn't a solution to my problem. Amazon or Microsoft should be the ones replacing it and neither want to take responsibility.

So MS has told you that they cannot replace it with a day one bundle as well? They don't even offer a waiting list or something?

I would work my way up the support chain at MS until you are satisfied.

I know your going through heck now, but whatever happens, make sure you get the free game MS is offering anyone affected by failures. Its a free $60 game after all.

So MS has told you that they cannot replace it with a day one bundle as well? They don't even offer a waiting list or something?

I would work my way up the support chain at MS until you are satisfied.

I know your going through heck now, but whatever happens, make sure you get the free game MS is offering anyone affected by failures. Its a free $60 game after all.

Yup, exactly. I've given up on them now because it's an useless cycle with their support. Honestly the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It's even shocked many of my close friends who have attempted to get me help since Friday too. A total lack of responsibility on MS's part :no: (N)

Only chance now is Amazon get more stock and they'll send me a replacement. Not getting my hopes up since they were limited.

AFAIK, the free game download is for people experiencing dead/broken Blu Ray drives. Everyone else (or at least the comments I've read) has been denied the offer.

Yup, exactly. I've given up on them now because it's an useless cycle with their support. Honestly the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It's even shocked many of my close friends who have attempted to get me help since Friday too. A total lack of responsibility on MS's part :no: (N)

Only chance now is Amazon get more stock and they'll send me a replacement. Not getting my hopes up since they were limited.

AFAIK, the free game download is for people experiencing dead/broken Blu Ray drives. Everyone else (or at least the comments I've read) has been denied the offer.

that sucks man. :/ That is really lame that Microsoft won't replace a day one edition with another. They should have prepared better and had enough stock to cover exchanges.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your PS4 more when you get it today, and soften the blow you took with the one.

that sucks man. :/ That is really lame that Microsoft won't replace a day one edition with another. They should have prepared better and had enough stock to cover exchanges.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your PS4 more when you get it today, and soften the blow you took with the one.

The way MS operate their "advance exchange" system is to replace particular items, not complete bundles. The problem is so many parts in my box (including the box itself) are damaged that the whole lot needs replacing. Some parts they can replace, others not at all. So my only option in their opinion is to ask Amazon for a replacement retail bundle. Like we all know, Day Ones were limited simply for pre-orders so they're not exactly easy to come by.

Amazon haven't exactly been great themselves in the support department. I've been waiting almost a week now for news of a replacement and since then I have been told stock has been sold to new customers rather than used for replacements like mine :no: I have until January 31st to return it because of the extended Christmas policy. If they don't sort it out by then I guess I'll be sticking to PC, PS4 and Wii U for the foreseeable future.

I know it sucks but do you really care that much for Day One edition stickers? Just return the damn thing and get another. You might want MS/Amazon to do better but is it really worth the trouble in the long run when you get the same thing in a green box.

I know it sucks but do you really care that much for Day One edition stickers? Just return the damn thing and get another. You might want MS/Amazon to do better but is it really worth the trouble in the long run when you get the same thing in a green box.

Besides the difference between them, I'd also be ?50 out of pocket to buy Forza 5, so yes it is important.

This is why I've kept sharing my experience to a minimum on Neowin though. I knew it would turn into it being my fault and not the manufacturers or distributers :laugh:

Besides the difference between them, I'd also be ?50 out of pocket to buy Forza 5, so yes it is important.

This is why I've kept sharing my experience to a minimum on Neowin though. I knew it would turn into it being my fault and not the manufacturers or distributers :laugh:

Who said it was your fault?

Anyway, I hope they work it out with you because it would suck not have the console at all.

Regarding Forza 5, would you not be able to just keep the game if they ended up just replacing pieces of the bundle?

Who said it was your fault?

Anyway, I hope they work it out with you because it would suck not have the console at all.

Regarding Forza 5, would you not be able to just keep the game if they ended up just replacing pieces of the bundle?

It isn't my fault, but I'm now being suggested to lower my expectations or change them through no fault of my own. I've paid for something and I expect nothing less. 2 companies can't deliver a product without the problems but I should just settle for less? Nope, doesn't work like that.

Yes I'd get to keep Forza 5 if I opted to take MS's "advance exchange", but they aren't replacing everything so I'm not accepting that.

It isn't my fault, but I'm now being suggested to lower my expectations or change them through no fault of my own. I've paid for something and I expect nothing less. 2 companies can't deliver a product without the problems but I should just settle for less? Nope, doesn't work like that.

Yes I'd get to keep Forza 5 if I opted to take MS's "advance exchange", but they aren't replacing everything so I'm not accepting that.

I definitely think you should share your story. Being afraid of someone being a troll is no reason to hide the info. This is helpful to most of us.

So let me see if I'm up to speed on the current status:

Amazon has said it will put you on a waiting list for a replacement day one bundle, but cannot guarantee that will happen.

MS has offered an advanced exchange, but only for the console itself, not the controller. They cannot offer a replacement bundle.

Is that about right?

I definitely think you should share your story. Being afraid of someone being a troll is no reason to hide the info. This is helpful to most of us.

So let me see if I'm up to speed on the current status:

Amazon has said it will put you on a waiting list for a replacement day one bundle, but cannot guarantee that will happen.

MS has offered an advanced exchange, but only for the console itself, not the controller. They cannot offer a replacement bundle.

Is that about right?

Besides not wanting to deal with trolls, I've also spent god knows how many hours explaining it to support and getting quite sick of thinking about it :laugh: But to cut a long story short, yes.

I'd get replacements but not Day Ones (some parts wouldn't be replaced at all), and I'd also have to cover the costs to send them back too (N). Not to mention the hold they put on funds to send a new console.

This wasn't just with 1st line support either. It involved supervisors and "Rangers". All of them useless. So just leaving it boxed up and hoping Amazon get me one.

Besides not wanting to deal with trolls, I've also spent god knows how many hours explaining it to support and getting quite sick of thinking about it :laugh: But to cut a long story short, yes.

I'd get replacements but not Day Ones (some parts wouldn't be replaced at all), and I'd also have to cover the costs to send them back too (N). Not to mention the hold they put on funds to send a new console.

This wasn't just with 1st line support either. It involved supervisors and "Rangers". All of them useless. So just leaving it boxed up and hoping Amazon get me one.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to force you to relive it, but I just though it would be useful to have out there.

I really don't get why MS would force you to pay for shipping, since their advanced replacement offer should allow to just box up the console in the box they send the new one in.

Based on what you have shared, it sounds like waiting for Amazon to get a replacement is the best bet. It will require to check with them regularly though. I would be annoying them everyday until they got my replacement.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to force you to relive it, but I just though it would be useful to have out there.

I really don't get why MS would force you to pay for shipping, since their advanced replacement offer should allow to just box up the console in the box they send the new one in.

Based on what you have shared, it sounds like waiting for Amazon to get a replacement is the best bet. It will require to check with them regularly though. I would be annoying them everyday until they got my replacement.

Yup, and I have. Each time the story changes (for the worse) and it looks less and less likely I'll get a replacement.

At this point I don't even really want to keep it out of principle and they lose a veteran Xbox owner/XBL member (N)

Yup, and I have. Each time the story changes (for the worse) and it looks less and less likely I'll get a replacement.

At this point I don't even really want to keep it out of principle and they lose a veteran Xbox owner/XBL member (N)

Yeah, that would be the worst ending. I'd hate to see you miss out.

I don't know where I said it's your fault. The Forza5 offer should be available on standard edition too, right?

Nope. Day One only.

I thought of a couple of things:

1. Would Amazon allow you to keep your copy of Forza and still get a replacement standard edition bundle? I'm not saying you should, but it would be one less thing you would lose.

2. Its sort of a joke, but you mentioned that they had the gall to suggest you buy one elsewhere at a higher price. I would point blank ask them then to refund me whatever it costs to replace the console. If its $700 to replace elsewhere, then you want $700.

Finally, you don't have to share if you don't want to, but could you PM me the people you talked to at MS, if you have their names. I happen to know a couple guys that MIGHT (very big might) be able to help or at least get someone to contact that can actually just get this done.

Also, I would be contacting the public pr guys, such as Major Nelson. I know it sounds crazy, but if you tell them your story, it could get action.

I thought of a couple of things:

1. Would Amazon allow you to keep your copy of Forza and still get a replacement standard edition bundle? I'm not saying you should, but it would be one less thing you would lose.

2. Its sort of a joke, but you mentioned that they had the gall to suggest you buy one elsewhere at a higher price. I would point blank ask them then to refund me whatever it costs to replace the console. If its $700 to replace elsewhere, then you want $700.

Finally, you don't have to share if you don't want to, but could you PM me the people you talked to at MS, if you have their names. I happen to know a couple guys that MIGHT (very big might) be able to help or at least get someone to contact that can actually just get this done.

Also, I would be contacting the public pr guys, such as Major Nelson. I know it sounds crazy, but if you tell them your story, it could get action.

You and I think very much alike :p I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not though lol.

1: I haven't asked them that particular question as I've only been on track to get a 1:1 exchange so far. I'm not sure they could do it either. They've certainly said I can receive the replacement first before I send the damaged one back etc. I'll speak to them again tomorrow and see if there is any update. Last thing I want to do is just assume I can keep the code etc and send it back and jeopardise my return/refund.

2: That is something I have been offered before when dealing with Amazon returns when they screwed up an order. When they told me of the $799 consoles I told them if you pay the difference, then sure, I'm happy to do that. You can guess how they replied ;)

As for names, all I can tell you are their first names which I'm not sure is much use to you. I appreciate the offer though.

You and I think very much alike :p I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not though lol.

1: I haven't asked them that particular question as I've only been on track to get a 1:1 exchange so far. I'm not sure they could do it either. They've certainly said I can receive the replacement first before I send the damaged one back etc. I'll speak to them again tomorrow and see if there is any update. Last thing I want to do is just assume I can keep the code etc and send it back and jeopardise my return/refund.

2: That is something I have been offered before when dealing with Amazon returns when they screwed up an order. When they told me of the $799 consoles I told them if you pay the difference, then sure, I'm happy to do that. You can guess how they replied ;)

As for names, all I can tell you are their first names which I'm not sure is much use to you. I appreciate the offer though.

Yeah, I would definitely ask Amazon, because I really don't see why they would say no under the circumstances. But considering the crap they have given you, you never know.

They may have refused to pay the difference when you asked them so far, but I would most definitely keep making that suggestion until they either give in or get a day one bundle to send you.

As far as the names, if you want to send me the first names, that's fine. Your right that its not a ton of info, but its a start.

If you cant get satisfaction through Amazon, definitely pursue contacting the xbox pr guys. At the very least it gets you on record about it. At best it spurs them to do something on your behalf. Its just a crap situation.

Quick update now that i finally got to play a game. Checked out ghosts. After what felt like an eternity to get to 50% I was pleasantly surprised on how great it looked. After all the resolution talk prior to the release I was worried it was going to look like ######. Played through the first 5 or 6 chapters of the campaign I'm happy with the first game I got to play . Dead rising 3 will be my next one but not til Monday.

Does anyone's Power Brick sound rather loud? If I use the Instant-On feature, the fan in the Power Brick hums rather loudly, I have my Xbox in my bedroom and the power brick is about 2 feet from my head, drove me mad I had to switch to power save :D

Does anyone's Power Brick sound rather loud? If I use the Instant-On feature, the fan in the Power Brick hums rather loudly, I have my Xbox in my bedroom and the power brick is about 2 feet from my head, drove me mad I had to switch to power save :D

Mine hums as well, but I literally have to put it up to my ear to hear it. I can't hear it form 2 feet away. I'm pretty sure mine is set to Instant On, but I'll double check.

Mine hums as well, but I literally have to put it up to my ear to hear it. I can't hear it form 2 feet away. I'm pretty sure mine is set to Instant On, but I'll double check.

Mine hums whenever the light on it is White.

I was super excited when my Xbox arrived Tuesday this week. Although, the shipment was a day late, it didn't bother me too much. I proceeded to unbox my brand new Day One Edition Xbox One, and the first thing I wanted to check out before I pulled the console itself out was the controller. Let me tell you something...the triggers on this new controller are absolutely stunning. I probably sat there for a good five minutes just pressing the triggers down.

Onwards, I pulled the console out. I don't understand why people complain about the way it's designed. Simple, sleek and (in my opinion) sexy. It's not too in-your-face. Anyway, I stopped admiring it for a minute to plug it in and get it setup.

It's plugged in and I'm ready to turn it on. I touch the Xbox logo on the front and hear the magical tone that I've come to love at this point.

As the console is installing the day one update, I start to notice a faint knocking sound. I didn't think anything of it, and since the update was taking some time, I left to get some food. When I returned, the knocking sound was much louder, very noticeable and extremely annoying. I thought maybe...hopefully it was just because of the update. I held out hope that it would go away once the update finished and I could restart the console.

(See bottom of post for video of the sound my Xbox is making)

The update is complete, great. I can turn the console off and hopefully get rid of this curse put upon me that is the knocking sound.

I turn the console on a few minutes later and proceed to fiddle with all the goodies inside the Operating System forgetting about the horrible sound my Xbox was making during the update. I checked out the new friends system, awesome stuff. I had a look at the Xbox Skype app, and made a test call with a friend. The Kinect with Skype, the head tracking, it's absolutely amazing.

After about five or six minutes of goofing around with the innards of the Xbox settings, I start to hear the sound again. Faint at first, then gradually getting louder and more profound as time passes. Soon enough it became unbearable.

I quickly did a search for other people having a similar problem. Nothing. All I could find were people having trouble with their disc drive. Doesn't help, my disc drive is fine...in fact, everything about my Xbox seemed to work just fine. It was just this extremely annoying sound.

Not able to find anybody with a similar problem and hoping for a solution, I jumped on to the Microsoft support live chat and had myself a conversation with a very pleasant Microsoft agent. We went through some of the obvious and common sense troubleshooting steps, you know...the ones where you say to yourself, "Really? You think I haven't tried this yet?"

After all was said and done, I was enrolled in the Microsoft Advanced Exchange program and my new console is on the way. I was also given a choice of any Microsoft published game for free. Awesome! I chose Forza 5.

I signed off of the live chat feeling fairly good. I had a new console coming and got a free game just for having a broken Xbox. Can't complain too much, seeing as how my console still works at its core, but makes a very loud annoying sound as it is being used...or so I thought.

With my new game installed, I decided to play my first game on my new Xbox. As Forza was loading, the knocking got louder. I got through the tutorial race and started my career. I jumped into my first race and got about halfway through the final lap...leading the pack, when, boom. My console shut itself off. I sat there and stared at the blank screen in disappointment. I couldn't be too mad. I almost expected it to happen.

Oh well. I'll just start it back up and try again. This time I made it through the first race and about halfway through the second race before it shut me down again. I began to continue racing and restarting when the console shut off. I maybe completed five races this way, and it took me maybe an hour.

Last night was a game changer, though. I was able to play for about 30 minutes without it shutting off! Joy! Until finally, one big knock came and it shut itself down for good.

My brand new Day One edition Xbox One is dead. A brick. Well, if you can find a brick that makes the same noise the Xbox makes when you touch the logo...then yeah, my Xbox is a brick.

Summary

The Xbox itself along with the whole Microsoft ecosystem is simply amazing. Being able to control the Xbox with my phone is awesome! The Kinect is amazing as well! You can't forget about that amazing controller either, those triggers! Mmmmmmmm

Aside from the personal problems I've been having with my Xbox, I'm excited to finally be able to play when my new console arrives. Having had a real taste of what it's like is far greater than anything I could've read or seen in a video.

I can't be mad at Microsoft for sending me a broken Xbox. Disappointed is all. Eagerly awaiting a working console.

Here's the video I made of the sound my Xbox was making.