Weird hard drives problem.

So here is my point!!

So here is smartinfo from disk before restart

post-14624-0-42676100-1385319361.png

Here is on a warm restart windows command

post-14624-0-00543600-1385319380.png

Notice counters didn't change. Still 869 and 879

Now I did a full shutdown from windows, and you see count increase by 1

So lets see this info for your what your saying.. So your count is increasing on "restart"? For full shutdown and then power up.. And this count is increasing by more than 1?

post-14624-0-44919600-1385319467.png

I would have to think the HDD smart info knows how many times the disk has been power cycled ;)

edit

"and they are audible from the opposite side of the room when they spin up in my desktop PC."

And your sure its the actual HDD and not the FANS in your box.. I have to put my ear to my box to hear the "fans" Sure an the hell don't hear the HDD spinning ;) I would check your mounting if your hearing drives spin up across the room.. That does not seem normal to me at all!!

still checks the issue, i think i'm closer to an answer.

someone told me its an OS related issue, the OS think that there is still data in cache to be flushed, OS spools them again.

anyway my MOBO is gigabyte, here's the spec's:

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965

RAM
    12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

mobo

GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket M2)

HDD'S

195GB Western Digital WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
244GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
488GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00KS-00MNB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

SSD
117GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SATA-SSD)

someone told me its an OS related issue, the OS think that there is still data in cache to be flushed, OS spools them again.

<snip>

That is a very plausible explanation. I wonder if some application is causing the issue.

bud thank u for replying, but i need a solution.

for the last time il explain, everytime i restart.( start -> restart)

3 HDD turn off, then on then off, then my pc restart.

never had this situation, never saw it, its begun since i moved to SSD.

i wish icould solve it.

if anyone here think its normal, then your wrong.

lol i've read your posts like, 3 times and i still don't get it: every time you restart you PC all the HDD spin down, spin up then down BEFORE the PC restarts? how do you know those drives spin down? like Budman said did you check the SMART data to see if they really spined down?

anyways, if i understand your problem correctly you could remove 2 of those disks from your mainboard to see if the problem persists (1 SDD, 1 HDD, any of them); if it still persists then i would try the same but with a diferent HDD, to see if there's any difference; if all 3 HDD just connected with the SDD do this then it's not a PSU or HDD problem but most likely a mainboard one: check if there's a newer BIOS for it.

edit: just checked the Gigabyte site, there's a BIOS that address a AHCI/RAID problem, might install and check if it solves your problem.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3010#bios

Also are you running in native IDE, AHCI or RAID configuration in BIOS?

Edited by Praetor

anyway my MOBO is gigabyte, here's the spec's:

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 965

RAM

12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

mobo

GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket M2)

HDD'S

195GB Western Digital WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

244GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

488GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00KS-00MNB0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

SSD

117GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SATA-SSD)

At least provide the complete specs of your system and that to in your first post, so that some can troubleshoot the issue for you quickly. Which PSU are you using and is there is graphics card installed? If you are facing issue then best thing would be to run with bare minimum hardware and then keep on adding HDDs.

That is a very plausible explanation. I wonder if some application is causing the issue.

il see if theres some services related.

lol i've read your posts like, 3 times and i still don't get it: every time you restart you PC all the HDD spin down, spin up then down BEFORE the PC restarts? how do you know those drives spin down? like Budman said did you check the SMART data to see if they really spined down?

anyways, if i understand your problem correctly you could remove 2 of those disks from your mainboard to see if the problem persists (1 SDD, 1 HDD, any of them); if it still persists then i would try the same but with a diferent HDD, to see if there's any difference; if all 3 HDD just connected with the SDD do this then it's not a PSU or HDD problem but most likely a mainboard one: check if there's a newer BIOS for it.

edit: just checked the Gigabyte site, there's a BIOS that address a AHCI/RAID problem, might install and check if it solves your problem.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3010#bios

Also are you running in native IDE, AHCI or RAID configuration in BIOS?

the cunning praetor shinzon didn't understand me?

must be me. :blush: :)

again.....

when u press restart, the computer will go into bot in like 5 6 7 seconds?

i got this all procedure, be fore restart.

let me be clear = normal pc ^restart+closing all apps****black screen of restart. completed.

my pc is like = ^restart+closing all apps****HDD's on, off, on****black screen of restart. completed.

next time, if someone dosn't understand, its sfe to assume the forum inspector, will shot him, i think... :s

already got the f9 beta bios  installed.

At least provide the complete specs of your system and that to in your first post, so that some can troubleshoot the issue for you quickly. Which PSU are you using and is there is graphics card installed? If you are facing issue then best thing would be to run with bare minimum hardware and then keep on adding HDDs.

i was wrong not to add spec info at the beginning, but i thought you guys will resolve it without the spec's info. :)

i'm using seasonic M12II-Bronze 520 PSU.

i got GTX 660 TI DC2.

il see if theres some services related.

the cunning praetor shinzon didn't understand me?

must be me. :blush: :)

again.....

when u press restart, the computer will go into bot in like 5 6 7 seconds?

i got this all procedure, be fore restart.

let me be clear = normal pc ^restart+closing all apps****black screen of restart. completed.

my pc is like = ^restart+closing all apps****HDD's on, off, on****black screen of restart. completed.

next time, if someone dosn't understand, its sfe to assume the forum inspector, will shot him, i think... :s

already got the f9 beta bios  installed.

i was wrong not to add spec info at the beginning, but i thought you guys will resolve it without the spec's info. :)

i'm using seasonic M12II-Bronze 520 PSU.

i got GTX 660 TI DC2.

that really seems a mainboard problem. try with a single HDD and the SDD and see if that same problem happens.

Ok -- So what does the smartinfo show?

"my pc is like = ^restart+closing all apps****HDD's on, off, on****black screen of restart. completed."

So your saying your HDD are off when you go to restart? Why do you mention on, off, on? I would have to assume they are ON when you begin the process. So your saying they spin down, then back on as your reboot? Again I don't see the problem here? And how are you knowing this is happening.. Lights, you HEAR them? What

Notice they are WDC drives.. Have you tried the WDIDLE3 tool? Says its only listed for specific drives, but this article seems to point to it working on lots of them.

http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_with_wdidle3

Other than, only thing you could do in the OS that I am aware of off the top of my head is power settings. Go under advanced power options.

post-14624-0-56210400-1385386553.png

Other option, your running 3 drives that don't even amount to 1TB.. Pick up a new Faster drive for less than $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W00YU4026

Clearly this 1 drive would use less power than your 3 drives ;) and its going to be way faster.. 200GB is clearly is not going to be SATA 2, which your mobo supports.

For what i read it seems that, during the reboot process, the 3 HDD turn off, then turn on and then again turn off and just then the computer reboots. clearly not a good sign, but yeah how does the OP knows that the drives turned off/on/off? By theirs lights, noise? what does the event viewer shows about this?

not much info is released..

Your solution Budman is a good one but it has a cost: a new HDD. if the OP doesn't mind then it's all good, but I'll prefer to find the actual cause instead of forking money into a newer (and power efficient) drive and still having the same problem with a newer disk.

• 4 weeks later...

solved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 days ago i decided to solve it, or taking a huge swing with hammer on the pc, and to buy new one, and to be honest, i really craved new hardware.... :shifty: :laugh:

well, no need to tell the whole story, just that now, when i restart and it takes like 2 3 seconds, my 3 HDD's are not powering down - up - down = restart.

just click.....-windows closing apps - restarts!

are you ready??

HDD's are good, working like a charm.

no bios settings, not a faulty mobo, nothing

its....

its the ati IDE \ SATA driver.

i'm with windows driver, and life is good.

:0

guys thank you all for the help, you guys are great.

take care.

And what driver were you using. Could you post up a picture of what driver you changed, and why was it something else in the first place?

it was a catalyst driver to my mobo, it came with the installation cd, it was installed on my pc since day 1, just when i switched to SSD it started acting up, so thats why it was so hard to ID the source of problem.

i didnt take any pictures, i deleted all the related drivers, but u can find it here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3010#dl

Chipset Version Size Date AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset\sata raid driver) 8.641 77.04 MB 2009/08/14

funny it says AMD, when u install it, you see catalyst ATI logo.

They continued to use the ATI brand(ing) long after the AMD acquisition (not really surprising given that you want to maintain identity while transitioning).