John Carmack leaves id Software to focus on Oculus VR

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,992 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 20:31

Carmack does not need defending to be honest. The guy is gaming royalty - Doom and Quake alone cement his place in gaming history to be honest :) I don't think the new / younger generation of gamers realise quite how huge those games were when they came out. 

Playing Doom 2 in multiplayer at school is probably one of my fondest gaming memories - to go to that, after only playing on consoles, was a revelation. 

More clarification than anything else, I think people tend to lay all of Quake/Doom at his feet when really Carmack is and always has been about the tech rather than the game.

I just find it amusing how he managed to make such a big impact in the direction of graphics hardware and APIs yet again despite RAGE being a complete flop.

#17 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

• 1,414 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 20:34

I'm quite shocked...

#18 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,755 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 23 November 2013 - 20:51

More clarification than anything else, I think people tend to lay all of Quake/Doom at his feet when really Carmack is and always has been about the tech rather than the game.

I just find it amusing how he managed to make such a big impact in the direction of graphics hardware and APIs yet again despite RAGE being a complete flop.

Indeed. I think it just goes to show his strengths are in his abilities in programming quality game engines, and pushing boundaries in what can be achieved... and that the failure to actually produce good games lies with id as a whole these days, sadly. I look forward to trying the Occulus Rift - it's so awesome Carmack is involved in it. 

#19 Orange

Orange

Oh Yes!

• 7,352 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3/ Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Posted 23 November 2013 - 21:34

Alli say is when i was younger and playing Doom i knew that was at that time of my life, best game ever and i still say to this day you can't diss that game in till you play it! To me it beats mostly every game out there today!!

#20 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,367 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 23 November 2013 - 22:27

This is good news to me. The man is a genius, and his talents are very much needed elsewhere.

3D graphics seem to have hit something of a brick wall, or at least the pace of change has slowed, greatly.

I've been dreaming of the possibilities of VR since I was a kid. We're so close now, I can't wait.

I've seen peoples reactions after 'coming out' of a VR world these days, and it seems amazing.

Make it happen, J.C.