Photo

People Selling "Day One Achievement" on EBay

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:52

They say that everything has a price—and this axiom apparently includes Xbox One achievements, judging from recent eBay listings. 

Thing is, these achievements are extra special—they come bundled with the limited number of 'Day One' editions of the Xbox One. As the name suggests, these are consoles made to commemorate the launch of the Xbox One. Only those that pre-ordered this version of Xbox Ones will get the special 'Day One' achievement.

Unless, of course, you buy it. The achievement comes in the form of a code, which anyone can redeem—naturally, they've shown up on eBay. As of this writing, most codes seem to be going for about $30-50 dollars. That's about as much as people are pricing weed emoticons on Steam.

#2 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:11

What is this world coming to? What exactly happens when you buy the achievement code and enter it?

#3 Dubstep Nixon

Dubstep Nixon

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:14

Should have waited, at least a year. People pay crazy amounts for stuff like that. That is unless there is a time limit on them.

#4 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:16

someone sold just the day one controller and the day one code for $400, that is madness

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:17

What is this world coming to? What exactly happens when you buy the achievement code and enter it?

A black hole is created inside your house and the world comes to an end.

#6 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:21

Screenshot (5).png
http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

#7 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:25

Holy crap...sadly I already redeemed my code.

#8 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:27

anyone want to buy my xbox sticker?

#9 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:49

What a bunch of idiots

#10 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:56

wow i screwed up by not selling mine lol...wonder what the day one controller by it self would go for....

#11 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:00

Should have waited, at least a year. People pay crazy amounts for stuff like that. That is unless there is a time limit on them.

A lot of codes like that have expiration dates on them.

#12 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:12

I would never do this as it devalues it...well, as much as you can devalue something like an achievement...but you could spend $500 for this bragging right if you can find the console, or spend $50 and go through the pain of finding someone with a One so that you can redeem it.

#13 OP soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:48

If I had money to kill I'd buy one, then wait about 2 years and get an X1 and just get the media achievements (like watching Twitch for an hour).

And never get an in-game achievement.

#14 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:12

Nothing is special or scared anymore :/ it's all about making a buck (well quite a lot of them actually :p). This just makes the achievement meaningless, sure alot of people don't give a hoot about achievements but it completely devalues it for people who do care about it. Not to mention it removes any "prestige" that might be associated with it, it either means you were there from day 1 or simply had the money to buy yourself something you don't rightly deserve. I know it's only an achievement and nothing to get upset about, just it seems to be the growing tread of people buying their way in rather then earning it the old fashioned way </rant>

#15 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:23

Nothing is special or scared anymore :/ it's all about making a buck (well quite a lot of them actually :p). This just makes the achievement meaningless, sure alot of people don't give a hoot about achievements but it completely devalues it for people who do care about it. Not to mention it removes any "prestige" that might be associated with it, it either means you were there from day 1 or simply had the money to buy yourself something you don't rightly deserve. I know it's only an achievement and nothing to get upset about, just it seems to be the growing tread of people buying their way in rather then earning it the old fashioned way </rant>

So if you pre-ordered it you deserve a achievement/medal (which has some sort of 'prestige' to it) but if you paid for it like a week later when it was released you don't deserve a achievement/medal?

I don't really care for achievements or trophy's and have a hard time understanding why people would pay extra money for some little icon on an internet profile.

- If your friends will think your cooler cause you have it, you should really get new friends.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!