PS4 & SSD

The sad reality for me while watching this video is that I have been trying to figure out what a hybrid drive was for a long time now and this video very cleanly explained what that was lol.

39 seconds to load from the game menu to the most recently saved campaign save, on a game saved on the console's SSD...

That is crazy and unacceptable imo. I want no part of that. (N) (N) Fail.

And then the stock HDD takes an additional 21 seconds!?!?! :x

• Like 2

I noticed a small 10% increase from my few tests in my PS3 even going from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm.  I needed more space for the system anyways so I figured I might as well get a faster drive while I was at it.  I wonder if it would be similar in a PS4?

Still wondering whether the PS4 supports TRIM.

It should have a SSD in it to begin with or it should be empty.

I'm not very impressed with "next gen."

The same with high end TV's, do not include some junky 10W speakers that are never turned on.

lolwut?

Yeah, and all new cars should have Ferrari engines in them. /s

So you leave it empty...

MS just did this...

A person like me would be penalized for buying the console in it's current state. (Excluding other launch issues.)

Unfortunately for you, the people like you are vastly outnumbered by the people like everyone else who just want a hassle-free, works-out-of-the-box experience from consoles.

Edit: I realize that a lot of us here are computer 'geeks' (myself included), but not including a hard drive (or having a version without a hard drive) wouldn't do much good. It wouldn't be much (if any) cheaper. Besides, who can't find a use for a spare 500GB 2.5" HDD? Throw it in an external enclosure and use it for backups!

I have a question if anyone can answer

On Xbox you are usally prompted for storage selection when you want to load save data or download from marketplace, when more than one storage device is connected. Will hybrid drives act the same way on the PS4 Firmware? Since Flash Data is seperate from the mechanical platters.

Is there a way to set a default device path to automatically save to instead of selecting a partition everytime when prompted?

Still wondering whether the PS4 supports TRIM.

From experience with FreeBSD the system may have the support but I have never seen it enabled by default. I have always had to run a command to enable it on a per disk basis and since there is no shell access at this point (I am hoping someone cracks it within a year) my guess is TRIM is not enabled.

I have a question if anyone can answer

On Xbox you are usally prompted for storage selection when you want to load save data or download from marketplace, when more than one storage device is connected. Will hybrid drives act the same way on the PS4 Firmware? Since Flash Data is seperate from the mechanical platters.

Is there a way to set a default device path to automatically save to instead of selecting a partition everytime when prompted?

I don't think that's how hybrid drives work. You can't write to the flash data portion of the drive. The flash data is simply used as cache.

• Like 3

I don't think that's how hybrid drives work. You can't write to the flash data portion of the drive. The flash data is simply used as cache.

So the PS4 itself doesn't even know flash data even exists, it just sees it as one whole drive?

So the PS4 itself doesn't even know flash data even exists, it just sees it as one whole drive?

Exactly.

The flash data is used by the disk controllers.

"At the heart of the Seagate Desktop SSHD is a LSI disk controller paired with an eASIC SSD controller that leverages the on-board 8GB Toshiba MLC NAND."

Data that is often accessed is put on the flash memory. Most SSHD comes with 8GB of flash memory so it should be enough to put all the important data often accessed while playing a game. The first time you play a game after a while you wont see any difference between this and a standard 7200rpm HD. If you play one game a couple of days in a row you'll get better results.

• Like 2

Unfortunately for you, the people like you are vastly outnumbered by the people like everyone else who just want a hassle-free, works-out-of-the-box experience from consoles.

Edit: I realize that a lot of us here are computer 'geeks' (myself included), but not including a hard drive (or having a version without a hard drive) wouldn't do much good. It wouldn't be much (if any) cheaper. Besides, who can't find a use for a spare 500GB 2.5" HDD? Throw it in an external enclosure and use it for backups!

Again, MS just did this.

The console is SATA II?

That's a shame :(

But nvm, it doesn't matter.

This is more of a rehash of the current gen than it is a step in any new direction.

All that will come from the next 5 years of consoles in a smoother social experience and maybe a consistent 60fps on most titles. These features have been available for the PC for years.

I don't see why anyone would buy the PS4, XB1, or WiiU.

Exactly.

The flash data is used by the disk controllers.

"At the heart of the Seagate Desktop SSHD is a LSI disk controller paired with an eASIC SSD controller that leverages the on-board 8GB Toshiba MLC NAND."

Data that is often accessed is put on the flash memory. Most SSHD comes with 8GB of flash memory so it should be enough to put all the important data often accessed while playing a game. The first time you play a game after a while you wont see any difference between this and a standard 7200rpm HD. If you play one game a couple of days in a row you'll get better results.

Thanks for explaining

You keep saying that, yet you haven't shown any sort of proof of what they 'did'... Burden of proof is on you.

lol?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D14112941&field-keywords=harddrive

...?

Most SSHD comes with 8GB of flash memory so it should be enough to put all the important data often accessed while playing a game. The first time you play a game after a while you wont see any difference between this and a standard 7200rpm HD. If you play one game a couple of days in a row you'll get better results.

PC BF4 is 24 GB.

It should have a SSD in it to begin with or it should be empty.

I'm not very impressed with "next gen."

The same with high end TV's, do not include some junky 10W speakers that are never turned on.

So you think the consoles should have cost 100 more, well actually even more for 500, for something that this test shows gives very little tangible benefit. And that's from a 5400 drive...

Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only
120GB Hard Disk Drive HDD for Xbox 360 Slim (Generic)
320GB Hard Drive HDD for Xbox 360 - Highest Capacity 
Xbox 360 Hard Drive 500GB Slim 500 GB HardDrive Memory
60GB Hard Disk Drive for Xbox 360 Slim
250GB Hard Disk Drive for Xbox 360
Hard Drive Data Migration Transfer Cable for Microsoft Xbox 360 USB Hard-Drive Transfer Cable Kit for Xbox 360...
Xbox 360 20GB Hard Drive 

?_?

Wow, those results were disappointing :(  Seriously underwhelming results.  I wonder if a firmware update would improve performance.  Based on those results if I were to get a PS4, I wouldn't bother replacing the drive unless I needed more space.

I have the 5400RPM variant of that drive in my laptop, they're absolutely great. Silent, fast and Hitachi is always reliable.

Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only
120GB Hard Disk Drive HDD for Xbox 360 Slim (Generic)
320GB Hard Drive HDD for Xbox 360 - Highest Capacity 
Xbox 360 Hard Drive 500GB Slim 500 GB HardDrive Memory
60GB Hard Disk Drive for Xbox 360 Slim
250GB Hard Disk Drive for Xbox 360
Hard Drive Data Migration Transfer Cable for Microsoft Xbox 360 USB Hard-Drive Transfer Cable Kit for Xbox 360...
Xbox 360 20GB Hard Drive 

?_?

Yeah?

I said "MS"

I said "did"

Why can't you follow simple reasoning?

Yeah?

I said "MS"

I said "did"

Yes, you did.

MS just did this...

Again, MS just did this.

I'm done here.

Yeah?

I said "MS"

I said "did"

Yes, you did.

Dude... What?

Do you speak English? Your not following me at all and not making any sense...

And if they included a smaller SSD, people would be complaining how there's not enough space. You can't please everyone.

So you leave it empty... MS just did this...

Again, MS just did this.

*links to Xbox 360 hardware* citing precedence for giving the consumer a choice on which harddrive to use. MS shipped console bundles without including a HDD, allowing the consumer to choose.

I don't understand.
:pinch:
Let's break it down.
MS (Microsoft, maker of 360) just (last gen) did (yes, they did it) this (gave options for harddrives instead of forcing you to buy one you don't want.)

Please understand!

Hey, check that out! Posts about the 360 in a thread that is not only a generation ahead, but also not about the Xbox! :woot:

Anyway!

As for the response time, I'm not surprised that it isn't as impressive as some would expect it to be, given how the games are developed and other outstanding factors. Still, you want to talk about anywhere from 6-20 seconds save for the things you do day after day, it WILL begin to add up. It's only when you experience better speeds on a daily basis do you realize how slow everything else is by comparison when you utilize something that isn't as fast. Kind of like when you visit a friend or work on someone's computer that isn't up to snuff, or trying to download a file off a 1.5Mbps DSL connection. :P

• Like 1