PS4 & SSD

I expected the SSD performance to be significantly better than a mechanical hard drive.

Please understand!

I think you threw people with the word "just", as it tends to imply something that happened very recently.

The 'Core' version of the 360 was discontinued 6 years ago.

I think you threw people with the word "just", as it tends to imply something that happened very recently.

You mean 'just' 6 years ago :p

I expected the SSD performance to be significantly better than a mechanical hard drive.

It's limited to SATA 2.

No, 360 arcade came much later, had the same options, and is still available for around $100.

The word "just" refers to the previous console iteration because in tech terms, a few years is no time at all.

If you guys want to argue the semantics of the word "just", you might as well not post. I know what I'm talking about and your getting away from my initial point.

Which is:

The PS4 should have an open drive bay and the consumer should be able to decide what to put in it.

If you argue against this, then you favor Sony over yourself and I'm not going to respond to that kind of stupidity.

Some things are clear as day and some people "just" don't get it.

No, 360 arcade came much later and had the same options.

The word "just" refers to the previous console iteration.

If you guys want to argue the semantics of the word "just", you might as well not post.

even then your argument doesn't make any sense. your point seemed to be that if they're not putting in a top of the line disk, they should leave it empty so the user can put in a top of the line disk or SSD. 

ummm, the 360 didn't allow that, it allowed to to put in a standard 360 drive, and the bigger drives, they didn't come untill later.

the HDD's in these consoles is a necessity, and as these tests show, 7200 and SSD's aren't. 

No, 360 arcade came much later and had the same options.

The word "just" refers to the previous console iteration.

If you guys want to argue the semantics of the word "just", you might as well not post. I know what I'm talking about and your getting away from my initial point.

Which is:

The PS4 should have an open drive bay and the consumer should be able to decide what to put in it.

If you argue against this, then you favor Sony over yourself and I'm not going to respond to that kind of stupidity.

Right you are. I overlooked the Arcade version. (October 27, 2007 - June 19, 2010)

Was just pointing out where the confusion may have come from.

I disagree that they should come without some form of storage built in. Devs need a minimum target to aim for. And what with the requirement for installs this gen, requiring the consumer to buy two products is a bad idea.

Right you are. I overlooked the Arcade version. (October 27, 2007 - June 19, 2010)

Was just pointing out where the confusion may have come from.

I disagree that they should come without some form of storage built in. Devs need a minimum target to aim for. And what with the requirement for installs this gen, requiring the consumer to buy two products is a bad idea.

The Xbox arcade couldn't run some games unless you put a hard drive in it, I forget the reason, but some games couldn't access the flash memory... requiring people to buy two products if they wanted to play the game.

I've settled on this bad boy, 1TB SSHD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BHRWHNI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00B99JUBQ&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=002T6S3SG63KK060RT6G

400GB just isn't enough (it is like 408GB available to the PS4 on the default hard drive).

And yet they still don't confirm if TRIM is supported.

Does that matter for hybrid drives? I'm not sure how those work in comparison to full ssds.

It does look like hybrids are the best bang for the buck

Hybrid drives have built in flash ram where the most commonly used tasks are stored to make them load faster so it doesnt need TRIM as its still being pulled from a mechanical drive. from those figures SSD's will not be worth the price. Biggest difference 39 seconds to 1 minutes normal HD. Go make a cup of tea or a sandwich and itll be done, spending ?100's for an SSD for 20 second difference is absolutley mental. go hybrid if you want itll learn to store your favourite game load up sections in it and itll start quicker but max 2.5" drive ive seen goes upto 1.5TB for ?110 oo  2TB one ?154

http://www.ebuyer.com/504793-wd-2tb-green-hard-drive-wd20npvx

http://www.ebuyer.com/393496-wd-1-5tb-green-mobile-drive-wd15npvt

via Boing Boing

SSD is faster, no surprises there. And like in the PS3, it's way too expensive if you look at a cost-benefit perspective. But this time, putting an SSD on a PS4 gets you more improvements to your load times than putting an SDD on a PS3 ever did. So it's there are some more benefits to that side of the equation.

Too bad a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO is ?449.99 (around 539?).

Edited by Andrew G.
Topics merged

For those worried about performance over time or lack of TRIM in the PS3 or PS4:

If you get a high-quality, SandForce 2200-based SSD, its active garbage collection should negate the need for OS-based TRIM.

Quality SandForce 2200 suggestions:

SanDisk Extreme (not Extreme II), Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Intel SSD 530, and OWC Mercury Extreme (not OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, etc).

Good to see more testing done.

Getting around trim by using a sandforce based drive is an option, but sandforce drives are also not at the head of the pack among ssd controllers like they use to be.

For those worried about performance over time or lack of TRIM in the PS3 or PS4:

If you get a high-quality, SandForce 2200-based SSD, its active garbage collection should negate the need for OS-based TRIM.

Quality SandForce 2200 suggestions:

SanDisk Extreme (not Extreme II), Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Intel SSD 530, and OWC Mercury Extreme (not OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, etc).

Why would anyone buy a disk with sandforce, on purpose ?...

TRIM support would certainly clinch it for massive SSD replacements. Does anyone have a source at SONY that can answer that? ;)