I am sure that a few of you are wondering about running TV service from a Home Theatre PC (HTPC) to an Xbox One (X1). So I thought I would share how what I had to do to get this to work. Forgive me if I do not get the actual screens on the Xbox One's correct. I don't remember their exact titles off hand.

1. I went into X1 settings page and under TV (I think) and disabled the option that Xbox turns off power of my "cable box"

2. Under the initial TV setup screen (separate screen from step one above) I used "Media Center PC" (just typed media when asked what was the brand), in addition to setting up my cable provider, etc etc. Please NOTE that I have a Media Center IR Blaster connected to the computer, so I am not sure if this is required or not. I would assume it is otherwise you will have to just use your normal WMC remote or keyboard/mouse to change channels).

3. Allowed it to run the "power test" even though nothing would happen. Said it "worked' and moved on. (Notice nothing ever showed up in the little TV preview area on the right hand side of this particular screen so wasn't really worried).

4. Launched the X1 TV app and saw my HTPC desktop. I could control the desktop environment with my mouse and keyboard.

5. Launched Windows Media Center (WMC) and it launched. I used X1 to change channels. Even in just the default WMC screen it sent the command to change channels based on the integrated X1 guide (not the Media center guide).

6. The image was just slightly degraded (probably due to the HDMI pass-through), but not very noticeable. However this method was much more responsive then using a traditional media center extender (I also have a Ceton which is horrendously slow). it seems even snappier than the 360's media center extender). I assume this is attributed to direct HDMI connection vs. Ethernet.

7. The only issue I experienced was NO SOUND. So I actually switched to the HDMI cable that came with the X1 for the HTPC to the X1 and rebooted the HTPC. Then I had to go into the audio playback devices (right click on speaker icon in Windows) and manually select my HDMI source which, for me, was AMD. For some reason it was disabled. So I re-enabled it and set it to default and tested it by adjusting the sound volume and heard the windows ding.

8. With the sound working and the Xbox guide capable of changing channels, it seems to be all working fine. If you get an error about "video display playback" or a DRM issue, just reboot the system while the X1 TV app is active. That way it gets a solid HDMI handshake.

Just so you guys know, I am using a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime into an HTPC. Maybe there will be HDHomerun Prime support in the future with Xbox One. But at least for the time being I can use the Xbox TV with my HTPC and Windows Media Center.

• Like 3

Excellent post. I have been reading threads elsewhere of people making use of this feature to access WMC.

Its cool that MS built in WMC device support. This basically becomes a replacement for the extender functionality of the 360. I may use this myself until Media Browser Theater is done and I switch to that on my htpc and stream to the x1 via their app.

I'm kind of shocked that it just works and it works better performance wise compared to extenders.

Thanks for sharing your setup process. I know several people that will be glad to see it.

No surprise this would be faster than an extender. You're just passing through HDMI as opposed to a enhanced remote desktop from the 360 to the media center.  Of course, this isn't comparable as you have to have the WMPC in the same location as the XB1. Forget about viewing from another room or another XB1.

They could really upset the old apple cart, however, by producing an extender "app" that would connect to either a full WMPC or just a network tuner like the Ceton InfiniTV. A Ceton Windows 8/XB1/WP8 app that provides the same functions as their $99 Echo extender would KILL. And overcome one of my and my wife's main objections for buying an XB1 -- the lack of Media Center capability (the other being the lack of backwards compatibility).

-Forjo

No surprise this would be faster than an extender. You're just passing through HDMI as opposed to a enhanced remote desktop from the 360 to the media center.  Of course, this isn't comparable as you have to have the WMPC in the same location as the XB1. Forget about viewing from another room or another XB1.

They could really upset the old apple cart, however, by producing an extender "app" that would connect to either a full WMPC or just a network tuner like the Ceton InfiniTV. A Ceton Windows 8/XB1/WP8 app that provides the same functions as their $99 Echo extender would KILL. And overcome one of my and my wife's main objections for buying an XB1 -- the lack of Media Center capability (the other being the lack of backwards compatibility).

-Forjo

I think making an app to connect to a WMPC would be a bit redundant unless you can't connect via HDMI. I fear that it would take a performance hit if it's over the network. On the other hand, I do hope that either Ceton or SiliconDust can push for a direct app similar to how the PS3 supported it (even though the GUI was horrible). Even with the PS3 version, there was a noticeable delay when changing channels but it was much more usable vs. the CETON extender. I am content with setup until a more seamless option is available, if at all, At least voice commands work with this setup. However I still have to use the WMPC remote to access the recorded TV though. Also I find it easier to use to skip forward vs saying "Xbox skip forward" a bunch of times.

I think making an app to connect to a WMPC would be a bit redundant unless you can't connect via HDMI. I fear that it would take a performance hit if it's over the network. On the other hand, I do hope that either Ceton or SiliconDust can push for a direct app similar to how the PS3 supported it (even though the GUI was horrible). Even with the PS3 version, there was a noticeable delay when changing channels but it was much more usable vs. the CETON extender. I am content with setup until a more seamless option is available, if at all, At least voice commands work with this setup. However I still have to use the WMPC remote to access the recorded TV though. Also I find it easier to use to skip forward vs saying "Xbox skip forward" a bunch of times.

You're forgetting that some of us have 360s in other rooms. We have one in the bedroom exclusively as an extender and for online streaming services. The WMPC is in the living room. It would be a VM if extenders played back all video formats.

There is no noticeable lag in playing back prerecorded content from our bedroom. We NEVER watch live TV, and even when we do, we don't channel surf. So channel changing delay is not an issue for us. If I'm thinking about it, I can tell that skipping through a program is a bit slower on the 360, but that's only if I happen to think about it. Otherwise we're just getting through the commercials.

An app that allows full consumption of the content on our WMPC or one that talks directly to a network tuner (perhaps saving programming to a NAS or external USB drive - obviating the need for a WMPC) would be an awesome option.

I still hope that Microsoft (or some third party) produces a DVR experience that integrates with the Oneguide and stores programming on at least an External USB drive connected to the XB1 or, better yet, a network device or share.

-Forjo

-Forjo

I'm following this space very closely, because I want my X1 to take over the media duties of my htpc if possible. All it needs are a couple apps to really make that happen.

Well there are a couple options that are possibilities at this point:

1. The dev team behind the MediaBrowser addon for WMC has now broken away and the third version of the software is now a stand alone product. It consists of a server application that you would install on the pc with all of your media and then various client apps to access that content. They are currently in the middle of beta testing all of the software, but its coming along very nicely. There will be a Windows 8 metro app and a desktop app more akin to WMC (called Media Browser Theater).

They are also actively in touch with MS to allow them to build a client app for the X1. MS has touted how easy it is to port apps, so if MS says ok, they could be the first with such an app.

2. You could make this hdmi-in option work even over a long distance. HDMI to Ethernet adapters. They do exist and they do work. I wish I had some because I would test them with this setup. If anyone can test this out, it would mean that all you have to do is plug one adapter into the your pc and then the other into the X1 and bam, you have a new extender option.

Good post!  I also have been using media center by connecting my desktop through the HDMI.  I am using a Hauppauge WinTV 2250 and am using over the air antenna.  I basically am just using live TV for football.  My issue is that I can't figure out how to get it to change to the digital channels.  Ex: Fox = 69.1.  It will just try to go to "69".   When I search for the box I am using brand: Microsoft and device "media center".  Anyone have a fix/suggestions?

Thanks!

to the OP: did you watch the 49er game tonight by chance? my wife a 9'er fan and my daughter a skins fan, were talking trash.. LOL I was enjoying the trash talk and the game :D

Good post!  I also have been using media center by connecting my desktop through the HDMI.  I am using a Hauppauge WinTV 2250 and am using over the air antenna.  I basically am just using live TV for football.  My issue is that I can't figure out how to get it to change to the digital channels.  Ex: Fox = 69.1.  It will just try to go to "69".   When I search for the box I am using brand: Microsoft and device "media center".  Anyone have a fix/suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you have a Windows Media Center remote? In order to use the voice commands, your PC will have to have a USB IR receiver of some sort. Otherwise you will not be able to change channels and tell the X1 to watch something based on voice command. The Kinect is a giant IR blaster (sends remote commands out) which will tell your WMC what to do similar to how it sends commands to a traditional cable box.

to the OP: did you watch the 49er game tonight by chance? my wife a 9'er fan and my daughter a skins fan, were talking trash.. LOL I was enjoying the trash talk and the game :D

I only watch a small part of it but did not have an interest either way. lol

Do you have a Windows Media Center remote? In order to use the voice commands, your PC will have to have a USB IR receiver of some sort. Otherwise you will not be able to change channels and tell the X1 to watch something based on voice command. The Kinect is a giant IR blaster (sends remote commands out) which will tell your WMC what to do similar to how it sends commands to a traditional cable box.

I do have a remote and an ir blaster. In the Xbox one guide when I tell it to go to fox (69.1) it will start to tune the channel but stops at "69" then won't go any further. Even on a channel such as just "4" with no decimal it won't change to it. It seems like it isn't hitting "enter" after the channel inputs.

I do have a harmony remote that can still work for it but it renders the Xbox one guide useless. Love the overlay and wish I could use it.

This was the first thing I tried. However my video freezes a lot, I need to unplug and plug the HDMI cable a lot. Not sure why it happens. =/

I had this problem in the beginning, but for some reason when I used the Microsoft supplied HDMI cable it stopped jittering. You're not running your X1 at 36 bits are you by chance?

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/11/24/how-to-set-color-depth-bits-per-pixel-on-xbox-one/63625/

I do have a remote and an ir blaster. In the Xbox one guide when I tell it to go to fox (69.1) it will start to tune the channel but stops at "69" then won't go any further. Even on a channel such as just "4" with no decimal it won't change to it. It seems like it isn't hitting "enter" after the channel inputs.

I do have a harmony remote that can still work for it but it renders the Xbox one guide useless. Love the overlay and wish I could use it.

Under the service provider, was there an OTA option or only the major TV service providers? Maybe you can "trick it" to thinking you have the local cable service, since most of the time the OTA channels match the local cable service channels. Just a thought. Sometimes the cable providers list the full on channel but it's really a decimal point channel. For example, here in DC, the local ABC affliate is channel 7 however I have noticed under the Silicon Dust utility it shows it at as 7, 7.1, something like 7.4 HRC. but under the guide in WMC it just shows it at 7 and 217 and 827 or something like that.

Guessing you're US based as I don't have the option to configure any boxes on my XB1 :(. Otherwise I tried the same trick to no avail

Can you trick your Xbox into thinking it's "US based" in the settings menu and try running the configuration or did they remove that loophole? I believe on the 360 you could change locales especially if you wanted to gain access to another store.

Can you trick your Xbox into thinking it's "US based" in the settings menu and try running the configuration or did they remove that loophole? I believe on the 360 you could change locales especially if you wanted to gain access to another store.

It wasn't possible to switch stores on the Xbox 360, because the Xbox 360 (as well as Windows Phone 7 also), used the primary locale of the LIVE account, not the locale set on the device locally. To access another store, you would be needing to do account region migration. You could switch the locale on 360/WP7, but due to the account locale to differ from the device locale, you still were seeing the store of the region of the account, which in some cases caused the interface to display mixed locales.

This is no longer the case with Xbox One. You can now roam regions freely, the same way you can do on Windows Phone 8 or in Windows 8.x, by changing the region in settings or in control panel\location to go and access a different Store region. Though do mind that when you access the "foreign" stores, and try to acquire content from them, these countries regions are being added automatically to your billing account at http://commerce.microsoft.com top-right drop-down menu, and never can be removed. Implying: this ecosystem records your store movements, and all your entries/exits from a region, so unless you want your regions list to be VERY long, DO NOT do excessive travelling, because this is got to be looking more and more like some kind of passport control. Remember: your Microsoft account is your Internet passport/ID to all Microsoft services, so move regions only if you really need to.

More information: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/locale-faq . Note: This article is quite hard to be found; it is not located directly in the "System" category as you would assume from the navigation on the left, and it's title tag in the title of the browser window/tab is wrong (being "Kinect Sensor").

Quoting it here for cases if Microsoft will amend or remove it:

Frequently asked questions about Xbox One locales

Overview

This page provides answers to frequently asked questions about Xbox One locales.

--------------------

1. Set locale (the language and the country or region)

--------------------

1.1. How do I set the locale on my Xbox One?

During the initial setup of your new Xbox console, you select a locale, which is the pairing of a supported language together with a country or region. You select the language is first, and then the list of countries and regions is provided, based on the language you selected, to make sure you select a supported pairing.

1.2. After setup, can I change the locale later?

After setup of your new Xbox One console, the only way to change locale is through Settings on the Home screen. A system restart will be required. For more information, see Xbox One system settings.

1.3. Is the Xbox One console locale different than the Xbox stores locale?

No. We?ve simplified the experience across both the console and the Xbox Live service. Xbox One will always use the locale on the console selected during setup for country/region and language. This information gets passed to the Xbox Live service to show the correct marketplace, offers, recommendations, etc.

For example, if you select fr-FR when you set up your console, this gets passed to Xbox Live, and you will see stores information in French. Your entire experience will be consistently shown in French.

Note Available content and apps may vary by country or region. Some content and apps may not be available or accessible in some countries or regions. If your console is set to a different local than you live in, you may be able to download and install an app from a different market. That app may be geo-fenced and therefor unable to play back content outside of the supported country or region.

1.4. I used to see the Xbox stores in two languages. Is that still happening?

No. The Xbox 360 console used the locale you set during your setup, while Xbox stores used your Xbox Live account locale. This sometimes resulted in mixed locales, which was confusing. This is no longer an issue in Xbox One, which will always use the locale set by you on your console.

1.5. What happens if I set my Xbox One console locale differently than my Xbox Live account locale?

You will be shown information in the language set on your console. Your Xbox Live account locale is no longer used to show stores information.

1.6. Do I need to migrate my account when moving to a different country or region?

No. You can simply change your console locale anytime you want. Account migration is not required in Xbox One.

For example: You move from Germany to France. If you change your console locale to fr-FR, your entire experience will change from German to French, even though your Xbox Live account locale was originally Germany. As long as you have a French billing account and a valid payment instrument, you will be able to purchase content from the French Xbox stores.

Note It is important to keep in mind that if you have local currency stored in your account when you switch console locales, you will lose access to that currency.

----------------

2. Voice

----------------

2.1. How is the voice model selected and enabled in Xbox One?

When you select a supported locale during setup of your new Xbox One console, an appropriate voice model will be enabled (if this is supported in your selected locale).

For example, if you select fr-FR during initial setup, an fr-FR voice model will be enabled. For a list of voice-supported locales, see Xbox One Kinect voice commands.

---------------

3. Sign in

---------------

3.1. I can only sign in to my console if my Xbox Live account locale is for one of the officially supported countries or regions, correct?

Not correct. You can sign in to your Xbox One console if you have an Xbox Live account from any country or region where Xbox Live account creation is supported.

For example, customers in Egypt or Japan can sign in to their consoles using their Egypt or Japan Xbox Live accounts.

Note It is important to keep in mind that Xbox Customer Support and warranties are only available in Xbox One-supported countries and regions.

--------------

4. SmartGlass

--------------

4.1. How is the locale set in SmartGlass for Xbox One?

SmartGlass uses the locale (country/region and language) that you set on your device.

For example, if you set the locale of your Windows Phone 8 and your iPad to language=FR, country=FR, SmartGlass will be French. When connected to your console, SmartGlass switches to use whatever language your console is set to use.

--------------

5. System update

--------------

5.1. Does the Xbox One console have to physically be in an officially supported country or region to get system updates?

No. Your Xbox One console can get system updates anywhere in the world, as long as it?s connected to the Internet.

Note It is important to keep in mind that Xbox Customer Support and warranties are only available in Xbox One-supported countries and regions.

--------------

6. Purchase and play

--------------

6.1. What happens if my billing address doesn?t match my console?s locale?

In that case, you will not be able to purchase content. You must have a valid billing address and payment option that matches your console locale.

For example, if you are in France and set your console locale to fr-FR, you will see Xbox stores information in French. However, if your billing address is in Germany, you will not be able to purchase content because you must have a valid payment option connected to a French billing address.

6.2. If I purchase a game in one country/region, can I play it in another country/region?

Yes. There are no playback restriction on games purchased and downloaded.

For example, if you purchased and downloaded Ryse in France and then move to Germany with your console, you can still play the game that you downloaded. However, you would not be able to re-download the game you purchased, as it would not be available for you to download in the German marketplace.

6.3. Can I play a game I purchased in one country/region on a friend?s Xbox One in another country or region?

No. Because the game was purchased in one country or region, it will not be available for you to download from another country or region?s marketplace. The marketplace that your friend?s Xbox One console ?points to? will not have access to the content, as that content isn?t available in the ?foreign? marketplace.

For example, if you live in France and purchased/downloaded Ryse to your console and then you visit your friend in Germany and sign in to her Xbox One console with your gamertag, you won?t be able to download Ryse to that Xbox console, even though you previously purchased it.

-----------------

7. Cash stored value

-----------------

7.1. What happens if I buy a Microsoft Gift card in Germany in Euros and add it to my account, then move to the United Kingdom? Does it convert from Euros to British Pounds?

Balances are not converted from one currency to another. You must spend the value in the currency in which it was purchased in. You will have to buy another Microsoft Gift card when you move to another country or region, because the balance you have in one currency will not work in another marketplace.

Some notes though that aren't noted in that article:

note to 1.3.: Games and App availability vary from region to region. Some games may not have the other region's rating, whether it is ESRB (US and Canada), PEGI (most of Europe countries and around it), ACB (Australia), OFLC (New Zealand), DJCTQ (Brazil), USK (Germany) or any other rating system. Also not all publishers use geo-fencing, and mostly the content is region-free.

note to 1.6.: Locale change is optional. If taking that example for instance, you can definitely leave it de-DE and still buy content from the German marketplace as long as your payment method is valid and working.

note to 6.1.: You can still re-add your old payment method if your payment institution incurs only partial check of billing address used in transactions. That depends on the method and issuer used. If this is the case, you can amend your old address to Address line 2, and the remaining fields can use whatever you type in, and it will pass. That way you can use whatever region you want. Again, this depends if your bank/card issuer allows address-less transactions.

note to 6.2.: All the apps are mostly having shared Application IDs, so when you buy something, it's ID is recorded to your account purchase history.

note to 6.3.: You can re-download your purchased content by switching the region of the console to the one where you purchased the content in, download it and then switch again to play in another language, if supported by the title.

note to 1.6. and 7.1.: You can still access your other region's stored value credit if you switch regions; see note to 6.3. just above.

I have this so thanks for the information. How does the X1 Guide know about your channels? I'm just trying to figure out how to get this going in Canada with an OTA antenna hooked to a HTPC.

I have this so thanks for the information. How does the X1 Guide know about your channels? I'm just trying to figure out how to get this going in Canada with an OTA antenna hooked to a HTPC.

it downloads the data from your provider (Comcast, U-Verse, etc) and it sends the signal to your HTPC. 

Not sure about OTA, you may have to wait until Canada is added to the TV support in general before the OTA option is even available.