• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:17

Taxation is so 1770s :p

I agree property taxes are pointless. The US govt gets taxes on so many other things, that they could be fine with it!

Property taxes don't go to the US government, they go to the local county that provides your services to you, road, water, public safety, etc. It is basically their main stream of revenue to keep services functioning.

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:18

http://myfloridalega...525791B006A54E4
http://www.leg.state...12->Chapter 119

It's called Government in the Sunshine or Sunshine Law. Unless records are statutorily exempt, like on-going investigations, sex crimes, social security numbers, etc. Then it is public record, most states have adopted this or have similar laws in place.

If someone posted a link to my personal home information, I'd be suing.

#18 xendrome

xendrome

• 7,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:20

Is just the fenced in portion the 41 acres or is it the whole swath of land to the street that is the entire 41 acre?

See here - http://goo.gl/0oo2GS
They also own this parcel adjacent to it - http://goo.gl/uJepjJ
and this one across the highway - http://goo.gl/lPrgcd

So they are paying taxes on all 3 properties, 1 of which has homestead exemption on, here - http://search.pascot...210000039000000

#19 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:20

I think we should scrap the taxes system altogether and do something like dues like in High School. If you don't pay your govt dues, you cant use the library or other things.

#20 xendrome

xendrome

• 7,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:23

If someone posted a link to my personal home information, I'd be suing.

It's Public Record, so good luck with that, lol. You wouldn't get an attorney to take your case, unless they just wanted your money.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:22

I understand her frustration but all she is doing is wasting tax dollars by making the government stop all they are doing and count her money.

#22 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:24

^ Some of those government workers were on gossip break anyway. :p

#23 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 1,934 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:29

I think we should scrap the taxes system altogether and do something like dues like in High School. If you don't pay your govt dues, you cant use the library or other things.

That's essentially what would be the alternative with health insurance if we did not change the health care laws. Someone would find a way to lobby to make it so hospitals don't have to treat you if you don't have insurance. Personally I find it to be a better alternative but many might disagree.

#24 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,894 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:32

"Owning land". Interesting concept.

Pretty sure it should belong to the country.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,887 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:39

Why are people like this always so damn juvenile? They're far bigger leeches than anyone on welfare.

#26 Fergdog

Fergdog

Neowinian

• 42 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:49

No property taxes would cause issues similar to whats happened in China. Empty apartment buildings that the rich and middle class buy to sell if values rise with no hurry. I don't know if property taxes is the only way to stop people from hoarding buildings but you gotta do something.

#27 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:52

She sure showed the government by paying them anyways and really just making it hard on the low wage workers who were forced to count it. You show that system who's boss, lady!

Moron....

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:45

^ Some of those government workers were on gossip break anyway. :p

Probably all of them. :D

#29 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:03

It's legal tender, and she knows they have to accept it.  All she's accomplished is wasting everybody's time.  This is where I wished there was a lineup behind her and she got more than a few people upset at her.  If she pays that much in taxes, she can't be hurting.

She's lucky it wasn't a debt she was paying to a business (rather than the government) as a business has the right to refuse to accept any form of currency they want (that is, they can refuse to accept all pennies, or $1 bills, etc).

Did they at least make her wait until it was counted? You would think they would want to verify the money was all there before they let her leave under the pretense that the tax was paid.

#30 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,097 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:09

A shame most states have propertrty taxes.

Is like paying rent for land that you own.

Except most real contracts only have you own the house and like the top few feet of dirt (if that) on 'your' property - then they collect money on your land (and the square footage of the building on it - for no real reason besides greed, actually). In essence, you are renting the privilege of your home and land from the government in the area you live.

Welcome to the new America, where you don't really own anything, and you have the weak illusion of freedom.