Hollywood producer claims double life as Israeli spy

JERUSALEM ?  Stories about Hollywood producer Arnon Milchan's alleged double life have been circulating for years.

Now, the Israeli-born businessman behind hits like "Pretty Woman," "Fight Club" and "L.A. Confidential" has finally come forth with a  stunning admission -- for years he served as an Israeli spy, buying arms on its behalf and boosting its alleged nuclear program.

In a far-reaching interview aired Monday with Israel's Channel 2 TV's flagship investigative program "Uvda," Milchan detailed a series of clandestine affairs in which he was involved and particularly how he helped purchase technologies Israel allegedly needed to operate nuclear bombs.

"I did it for my country and I'm proud of it," said Milchan, who ran a successful fertilizer company in Israel before making it big in Hollywood.

Even there, he says he continued with his clandestine work while maintaining close ties with Israel's leadership.

According to an unauthorized biography published two years ago, Milchan worked for Israel's now-defunct Bureau of Scientific Relations, known as Lekem, which worked to obtain information for secret defense programs. The bureau was disbanded in 1987 after it was implicated in the spying affair for which Jonathan Pollard, a civilian intelligence analyst for the U.S. Navy, was sentenced to life in prison.

Milchan also says other big Hollywood names were connected to his covert affairs.

more

Im not surprised by such a revaluation more by the statement in which he has basically blown the security of others who helped him or is there more to this than meets the eye?

Israel is without a doubt in my mind deeply connected to many cultural, scientific, and political bodies in the USA. The people in charge of our countries are not stupid and have learned through history how easily we can be manipulated and easily they can get in our affairs. I know of several local situations where Israeli companies are trying to get unproven technology in use with local authorities through bribery and shell companies.

There should be red flags on everyone's radar with how many war movies are being produced. Everyone should remember WW2 and how the government used Hollywood and marketing to unite the country and awaken the sleeping giant. I'm proposing that this is being done again but without a clear goal. So where does society put all that war mongering energy? Somehow we've been okay with being in non-stop war for decades....

• Like 1

I know of several local situations where Israeli companies are trying to get unproven technology in use with local authorities through bribery and shell companies.

"Marketing" home grown businesses is something all countrys do to make sales abroad so you cant single out Israel alone for doing it.Hell our Government even involves the Royalty in this kind of sales pitch.

There should be red flags on everyone's radar with how many war movies are being produced

Sorry Im not following you on this one there are literally hundreds of films made every year and the vast majority are unrelated to War.As for Spying all countrys do it to a greater or lesser extend, sometimes with hilarious consequences sometimes at the expense of others freedom.The main effort of many is that if you need to make war make it in someone elses back garden not your own.

The article is about Israel so I chimed in on what my opinions are with some anecdotal "evidence". Yeah everyone does it I'm sure but I'm not going to say it's acceptable especially with what slimy details I know with these deals.

As far as the movies go, yeah it's all coincidence until it's not. Like I said, my opinion. What's unfortunate is there is always going to be some amount of uncertainty in the facts surrounding these conspiracies so there will always be an excuse to not take them seriously.

Beats me why so much spying goes on.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

In business it allows you to get a edge on the competition,in politics you can side step opposition policies ,in war it allows you to place your forces to your best advantage or to preempt an enemy's strategy and finally there are those who will sell others secrets for profit