Americans and Europeans Map Each Other (and fail horribly)

Here's a funny one from Buzzfeed.

First they got Americans to map out European countries. Didn't go quite that well:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map

... but they also got Brits to map out the 50 States. That one nearly empty map is incredibly embarassing:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

• Like 4

I've noticed something.  On almost every map the European people all know Florida (probably from Walt Disney World), California (L.A., Walt Disney Land), and Texas ('Murica!).  Also noticed more than one person wrote "Who cares" in place of Nebraska, lol.

I could do the majority of the states, but that is only thanks to sporcle. I'm terrible at Europe, especially towards the east.
But I wouldn't know nearly as many if it wasn't for sporcle procrastination.

There is an error on the map anyway, whereas they have split main Europe into countrys the UK is just shown as one boundary.The United Kingdom is comprised of England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland and Irelands Southern hemisphere is encompassed by Eire.

There is an error on the map anyway, whereas they have split main Europe into countrys the UK is just shown as one boundary.The United Kingdom is comprised of England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland and Irelands Southern hemisphere is encompassed by Eire.

Lets not confuse things any further, most of my countrymen can barel find the UK as a whole on the map, they have no clue it's more than one country 

The 2 quizzes are not in anyway related, can not compare countries with states.  I am sure everyone in Belgium know where the USA is but do all Americans know where Belgium is?  Just saying  :whistle:

One thing is to know countries in the world and another is to know States in the USA...Big difference.

technically a state is now no different then a country in the EU... they are technically a "State" encapsulated in a larger nation.....

I'd be more interested to see how many Americans can map out the states and how many Europeans can map out Europe. Since the general IQ of this stupid country is quickly flying downhill, I'd be surprised if any American could do all of the states correctly.

I'd be more interested to see how many Americans can map out the states and how many Europeans can map out Europe. Since the general IQ of this stupid country is quickly flying downhill, I'd be surprised if any American could do all of the states correctly.

Yee have little faith my friend. 

Yee have little faith my friend. 

why? We know lots of people in our own country can't do it, heck we've had tv shows devoted to the topic states like the show how the states got their shapes where people didn't know what state the guy was showing........

technically a state is now no different then a country in the EU... they are technically a "State" encapsulated in a larger nation.....

That is not true, we are not "technically" one country. Some efforts have been made towards the grand unification of the countries belonging to the EU - the creation of the Eurozone is one example, but not every member uses the Euro as currency. It's just too difficult for that to happen, some might say it's for the best.

Plus, there are a number of european countries that do not belong to the EU (yet), like Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, ...

well if we are going to take that route... name all 60 counties in Pennsylvania....

What route? I said it because I was genuinely curious. And everyone seems to think I'm doing it spitefully.

why? We know lots of people in our own country can't do it, heck we've had tv shows devoted to the topic states like the show how the states got their shapes where people didn't know what state the guy was showing........

The history of each states shape isn't the same as naming each state. I wouldn't doubt that half the worlds population is ignorant to their respective countries counties/cities/states.

im genuinely impressed at how many people got the US map [partially] correct. It's absolutely true that the vast majority of americans could not label all 50 states.

what i am surprised about, however, are those that didnt know Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii.

and fwiw, i cant label a single county in England... sorry. I know Berkshire b/c i just watched "The Wrong Mans". I know Worchestershire b/c of the delicious sauce. I know Gloucestershire b/c my sister used to live there... as well as Shropshire b/c she lives there currently, in Shrewsbury.

How many Brits know where Cleveland is on the map of America? :p

I think we can conclude that some are better at this then others :)

I'm impressed by some of the drawings on both sides, then again, others are a complete disgrace

I am not from the USA, but I am terrible at geography. I wouldn't even attempt something like this to save from almost certain embarresment.

I was pretty good at geography back in my school days, used to know countries, capitals, rivers, lakes & flags too, but very little has stuck.

The history of each states shape isn't the same as naming each state. I wouldn't doubt that half the worlds population is ignorant to their respective countries counties/cities/states.

I didn't say anything about the history of the shape, that was just the name of the show.. there was times when he had a state drawn out and asked people what state it was and they were like uh I don't have a clue...

If you want a good laugh, ask an American to name a few countries that start with the letter "U".

I'm willing to bet most of them struggle to answer "United States".

Or if you really want to be a d*ck, ask who the president on the $10 bill is. (trick question).

Just a few easy ways to get somebody to buy you a drink at the bar.  :laugh:

• Like 2

If you want a good laugh, ask an American to name a few countries that start with the letter "U".

I'm willing to bet most of them struggle to answer "United States".

Or if you really want to be a d*ck, ask who the president on the $10 bill is. (trick question).

Just a few easy ways to get somebody to buy you a drink at the bar.  :laugh:

lol  Or the president on the $100 bill.  ;)

• Like 1

I do fairly well on the US states but as soon as I start to go towards the north east coast then I'm done, not very good at those.

I'm good on Europe, know most of it but the east can be tricky.