Photo

Americans and Europeans Map Each Other (and fail horribly)

web

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

• 1,398 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 13:37

technically a state is now no different then a country in the EU... they are technically a "State" encapsulated in a larger nation.....

That is not true, we are not "technically" one country. Some efforts have been made towards the grand unification of the countries belonging to the EU - the creation of the Eurozone is one example, but not every member uses the Euro as currency. It's just too difficult for that to happen, some might say it's for the best.

Plus, there are a number of european countries that do not belong to the EU (yet), like Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, ...

#17 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,922 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 27 November 2013 - 13:52

well if we are going to take that route... name all 60 counties in Pennsylvania....

What route? I said it because I was genuinely curious. And everyone seems to think I'm doing it spitefully.

#18 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 13:58

why? We know lots of people in our own country can't do it, heck we've had tv shows devoted to the topic states like the show how the states got their shapes where people didn't know what state the guy was showing........

The history of each states shape isn't the same as naming each state. I wouldn't doubt that half the worlds population is ignorant to their respective countries counties/cities/states.

#19 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,022 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 14:28

im genuinely impressed at how many people got the US map [partially] correct. It's absolutely true that the vast majority of americans could not label all 50 states.

what i am surprised about, however, are those that didnt know Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii.

and fwiw, i cant label a single county in England... sorry. I know Berkshire b/c i just watched "The Wrong Mans". I know Worchestershire b/c of the delicious sauce. I know Gloucestershire b/c my sister used to live there... as well as Shropshire b/c she lives there currently, in Shrewsbury.

How many Brits know where Cleveland is on the map of America? :p

#20 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,894 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 14:33

I think we can conclude that some are better at this then others :)

I'm impressed by some of the drawings on both sides, then again, others are a complete disgrace

#21 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,608 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 14:51

I am not from the USA, but I am terrible at geography. I wouldn't even attempt something like this to save from almost certain embarresment.

I was pretty good at geography back in my school days, used to know countries, capitals, rivers, lakes & flags too, but very little has stuck.

#22 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,713 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:12

The history of each states shape isn't the same as naming each state. I wouldn't doubt that half the worlds population is ignorant to their respective countries counties/cities/states.

I didn't say anything about the history of the shape, that was just the name of the show.. there was times when he had a state drawn out and asked people what state it was and they were like uh I don't have a clue...

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,035 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:15

If you want a good laugh, ask an American to name a few countries that start with the letter "U".

I'm willing to bet most of them struggle to answer "United States".

Or if you really want to be a d*ck, ask who the president on the $10 bill is. (trick question).

Just a few easy ways to get somebody to buy you a drink at the bar.  :laugh:

#24 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:20

If you want a good laugh, ask an American to name a few countries that start with the letter "U".

I'm willing to bet most of them struggle to answer "United States".

Or if you really want to be a d*ck, ask who the president on the $10 bill is. (trick question).

Just a few easy ways to get somebody to buy you a drink at the bar.  :laugh:

lol  Or the president on the $100 bill.  ;)

#25 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

• 809 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:21

I do fairly well on the US states but as soon as I start to go towards the north east coast then I'm done, not very good at those.

I'm good on Europe, know most of it but the east can be tricky.

#26 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 752 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:26

I never knew the difference of UK, Great Britain, Britain or England. I always assume they were the same but names from different periods of time. So I Binged and now know the difference and how the names came about. Here is a link I used to learn for those interested.

http://resources.woo...ns/britain.html

#27 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,983 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 November 2013 - 18:40

lol. Someone put Australia in Europe. I thought I felt the whole country move thousands of miles over night.  :rofl:

#28 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,227 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 18:47

That`ll please the Kiwis

#29 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,343 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 18:57

no one seems to know my state :(