Downloading Torrent in phone but saving to network drive.

I have a HTC One Mini with everything at stock with TP Link W8968 ADSL2+ Modem + Router. DD-WRT is out of possibility.

Right now when downloading a torrent or a big file I use my PC and leave it online for the night. This however eats a lot of electricity for something which hardly takes any resources.

My router has a USB port in which I can plug a regular pen drive. After this I can configure it as a Media Server or a FTP Folder or a Network drive and it is visible in my laptop or even my desktop PC as a network drive.

Now, what I want to do is to install Torrent client on my HTC One Mini and start a torrent in the phone but save location to be that flash drive I mentioned above over the network. Since HTC One Mini has no SD card slot, I don't want to risk ruining the inbuilt hard disk's life.

How do I do this? Is this even possible? I think for this I first need to do something to make that pen drive visible in Android as a regular drive first so I require a file manager which can do that. Then in uTorrent I need to change the path to network drive.

Hello,

Everyday people want to do stranger and stranger things :p

Its complicated but not impossible.

Your USB flash drive on the router is going to have to be possibily shared as a FTP folder. After than, on Android, using the "mount" command, you'll have to mount that FTP folder to a folder. In theory, in the Android client torrent, you should be able to save to that folder.

Having said this, I still think it has to write the data to your phone then to the FTP folder. I believe this is a FTP limiation (someone correct me please)

Have you actually found a torrent client for Android which lets you change the download destination to something other than the phone's local memory? Because I've just downloaded uTorrent for Android and no such option exists there.

If your electric bill weren't a concern, then the simplest solution would be setting up a remote desktop for your PC which you could access from your phone.

Hello,

Have you actually found a torrent client for Android which lets you change the download destination to something other than the phone's local memory?

aTorrent. Existed WAAAY before uTorrent for Android and a lot better IMO.

It appears that connecting a USB flash drive directly to the phone through a cable and then mounting it as a folder is the best solution.

DSC03027_675403.jpg

Hello,

What's up? this is the fifth time you say hello to me today.

aTorrent.

Thanks. It does seem to be a lot more advanced.

Existed WAAAY before uTorrent

OKAAAY

Have you actually found a torrent client for Android which lets you change the download destination to something other than the phone's local memory? Because I've just downloaded uTorrent for Android and no such option exists there.

If your electric bill weren't a concern, then the simplest solution would be setting up a remote desktop for your PC which you could access from your phone.

tTorrent

Free app has 200 KBps download limit.

Paid app does not. Been using it. Max I downloaded a 30GB torrent to external SD Card and it caused me Note 2 to behave erratically. :p

Best would be to get a dedicated storage like NAS box. Then use the manufacturer's mobile app to install an open source torrent client like Transmission and control it remotely.

Heavy torrenting is not good for your mobile's life as well as it's CPU and Battery.

Hello,

It appears that connecting a USB flash drive directly to the phone through a cable and then mounting it as a folder is the best solution.

DSC03027_675403.jpg

This is also a possible solution (The One Mini's kernel seems to support OTG out of the box) although it would waste eletricity nonetheless (not as much as a PC) as you would have to keep your phone plugged in to download any decent torrent.

Hello,

tTorrent

Free app has 200 KBps download limit.

Paid app does not. Been using it. Max I downloaded a 30GB torrent to external SD Card and it caused me Note 2 to behave erratically. :p

Any reaosn you dont use aTorrent? I know the free version is a adfest but....

Hello,

Any reaosn you dont use aTorrent? I know the free version is a adfest but....

I have moved over to remote NAS. Makes using torrent app on android a bit pointless.

What's up? this is the fifth time you say hello to me today.

Must be a cultural thing for him.

You can use apps like ES File Explorer to mount SMB shares. In fact, I think there are apps out there specifically to mount SMB shares. Then you could save it to network storage. Or the USB OTG+USB Drive option is another good one.

This however eats a lot of electricity for something which hardly takes any resources.

I guess people really do worry about the wrong things.  Power consumption of a run-of-the-mill PC over a couple of hours, with the monitor turned off?  This is the reason you want to go through this rigmarole?

How old is your PC?  I hope you're not under the impression that a 500W power supply is actually drawing 500W.  Have you ever actually tried to measure how much power it's using, and how much it costs you to leave it on overnight?  We're talking pennies.  You couldn't buy a pack of gum with the money you think you're gonna save.

Seriously...I have an i7 machine (the older, more power-hungry Sandybridge) with 32GB of RAM and a bunch of spinning hard disks, that I'm using as a virtual machine host...as such, I leave it on 24/7.  The UPS it's hooked up to says it's barely using 100W when under heavy load.

The biggest factor is what you pay per kilowatt.  Can you give us a ballpark figure?

DSC03027_675403.jpg

Oh! yeah, this I forgot to look for. Since Android has USB OTG support, I can do this. This method completely slipped my mind and will be useful without any hassle.

Now, the second task. One Mini just has one USB port. I wanted the above approach so that I can plug the phone to charge over night while it is also downloading stuff via torrent. The amount of electricity used will be very less compared to a desktop PC anyway.

I wonder if there is a way to feel electricity to the device and still download with that pen drive connected via that same USB port.

I guess people really do worry about the wrong things.  Power consumption of a run-of-the-mill PC over a couple of hours, with the monitor turned off?  This is the reason you want to go through this rigmarole?

How old is your PC?  I hope you're not under the impression that a 500W power supply is actually drawing 500W.  Have you ever actually tried to measure how much power it's using, and how much it costs you to leave it on overnight?  We're talking pennies.  You couldn't buy a pack of gum with the money you think you're gonna save.

Seriously...I have an i7 machine (the older, more power-hungry Sandybridge) with 32GB of RAM and a bunch of spinning hard disks, that I'm using as a virtual machine host...as such, I leave it on 24/7.  The UPS it's hooked up to says it's barely using 100W when under heavy load.

The biggest factor is what you pay per kilowatt.  Can you give us a ballpark figure?

This is my PC configuration. http://gxsaurav.com/red

When downloading I put the PC in silent mode via BIOS. This has a profile which also underclocks the CPU to 1.5 GHz only and voltage is also reduced automatically. GPU is also not eating much electricity at this point.

I have a network hard drive case floating about somewhere that has an on-board torrent client in the firmware which downloads to the internal drive.

I think it was by Freecom,heres a similar torrent enabled Iomega drive

http://gigaom.com/2009/09/07/iomegas-sleek-drive-does-storage-and-torrents/

Although a NAS does looks like a very good option, I am short on money and would like to utilize what I already have it.

The USB OTG method looks the best to me. I need to evaluate it first as I don't have a USB OTG cable right now.

In this case, you should look for a micro USB splitter  :)

I believe this is the cable which I need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Male-To-USB-Female-Host-OTG-Cable-USB-Power-Cable-Y-Splitter-/251393999148

1. The MicroUSB end goes inside the phone.
  2. The regular Male USB end goes inside power plug or my desktop which can charge a device even when it is turned off as Asus M5A97 R2.0 provides this facility. 
  3. A pen drive goes inside the female USB port which shows up as a drive in Android where I can save the files.

Let me see if this is available here or if they deliver in India. Thanks for the idea. 

There seem to be a small problem. I have asked the seller that weather plugging in a power adapter to that MicroUSB port will charge the phone too or will it only give power to that pen drive? Once this is clear, I will order.

seriously. came to say this. if power consumption is all you're worried about then don't bother with the complicated mess

I got the cable and tried it. Downloading with aTorrent Pro works just fine directly to pen drive but only FAT32 pen drives are detected. ExFat did not work. Going to try with a NTFS drive to see if that can work.

Another thing I found is that power to the phone as well as connecting a USB drive doesn't work on all phones. It worked on Galaxy S4 but not on my HTC One Mini.

Dude you got so much time on hand to go through all this trouble to save some electricity. Do you use wifi connection to do the torrenting or use your phone connection. Honestly, NAS would have been much better option if electricity saving was the only issue you had.