http://majornelson.com/2013/11/27/xbox-live-gold-members-get-gears-of-war-and-shoot-many-robots-free-in-december/

boxartsm.jpgboxartsm.jpg
The next set of free games for Xbox Live Gold Members in December will be Gears of War* and Shoot Many Robots.

Starting Sunday (December 1st) Gears of War (Normally US $19.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through December 15th .

Then on December 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Shoot Many Robots (Normally US $9.99) for free.

The ?Games With Gold? program gives Xbox LIVE Gold Members 2 free games to keep each month. A new title will be available the 1st and 16th of each month.

Follow me on Twitter to find out what games will be free each month.

*Germany and Japan will receive ?Halo Wars?

Has anyone played Shoot Many Robots? It has offline and online co-op which is intriguing, but I've never heard of it.

Overall, Microsoft is continuing the ho-hum Games-for-Gold trend. :/

If this means GoW's online will return populated again I may have to get the 360 back on. GoW online was probably one of the most enjoyable online games I played on the 360.

• Like 2

Has anyone played Shoot Many Robots? It has offline and online co-op which is intriguing, but I've never heard of it.

Overall, Microsoft is continuing the ho-hum Games-for-Gold trend. :/

Never heard of it either. If i am to believe reviews it's a fun but simple shoot 'em up game. If it's hard i'm interested. If not then i'll pass.

Everyone already played Gears bad choice in this case imo.

Dunno bout ya'll but even though I already have GOW1, 2 and 3 on discs sitting under my TV i'll be getting this and playing the heck out of it again. Stuff like this brings enjoyment again even if it's only for 2 weeks. GOW can get some activity again for sure :)

That Shoot many Robots one, never heard of it either but i'll check it out for sure. This is coming from someone that didn't download a single game last month because I wasn't interested in either of the ones offered for free.

Sure the games aren't new but that's to us who've had the 360 for years already.  They're still selling them, new people to the 360 are showing up, so to them it's a nice chance to play the older games they might not be able to find.   I'd like to see newer titles but nothing wrong with something free if it's a good game.

I can't complain if I can replace my old game discs for digital versions as part of a service I am already paying. :/

Sure the games aren't new but that's to us who've had the 360 for years already. They're still selling them, new people to the 360 are showing up, so to them it's a nice chance to play the older games they might not be able to find. I'd like to see newer titles but nothing wrong with something free if it's a good game.

This.

Agreed, there isn't a problem with the quality of the games Microsoft are choosing (at least for most of them). The problem is how old the games are that it doesn't reward veteran owners. The only advantage for us is some of our favourite games get a 2nd shot of the limelight and MP becomes active (i.e Halo 3 had more players than Halo 4 in the month it was given).

Besides that, they need to offer more. 2 games a month (especially the months with double XBLA picks) is really weak up against PS+ which has 5 (2 PS3, 2 PSN/Vita and 1 PS4 typically).

Microsoft really doesn't do this whole 'free game' thing very well, do they?

No. But at least it actually is free. Unlike PS+, you keep the games even after your subscription expires.

Besides that, they need to offer more. 2 games a month (especially the months with double XBLA picks) is really weak up against PS+ which has 5 (2 PS3, 2 PSN/Vita and 1 PS4 typically).

I'm not sure its fair to count games that are only available on one platform as part of an overall total. If its 2 ps3 titles vs 2 360 titles, its more reasonable. If the psn games are ps3 titles, then you can throw them in as well. There is no doubt Sony is offering more recent games though.

I wonder if MS would be forced to switch to Sony's system that only lets you rent the games basically in order to offer more games that are of a more recent age.

I kind of doubt MS could afford to give you say 5 more recent games every month that you can keep outright.

I'm not sure its fair to count games that are only available on one platform as part of an overall total. If its 2 ps3 titles vs 2 360 titles, its more reasonable. If the psn games are ps3 titles, then you can throw them in as well. There is no doubt Sony is offering more recent games though.

I wonder if MS would be forced to switch to Sony's system that only lets you rent the games basically in order to offer more games that are of a more recent age.

I kind of doubt MS could afford to give you say 5 more recent games every month that you can keep outright.

Well, I'm speaking in general terms here; that split isn't the same every month. Sometimes it's 3 PS3 games sometimes only 2. PS Vita games are usually the same as the PSN picks, offered via the cross-buy system. 1 PS4 game to start with but I'm sure once we're into the 2nd year of the console it'll step up to 2 games etc.

You can't hold it against Sony for building a nice ecosystem between their devices and "devaluing" PS+ just because MS don't have a portable. I mean, going forward they could always include WinMo games and Win8.1 store games if they wanted to even it out.

I think you're right though about the indefinite ownership being the cause why only older games are offered. I'd certainly give that up if it meant it matched PS+. I can see why people think it's a negative because in their mind it's only "renting", but really you still have them tied to your account even if you let the subscription lapse. Expecting something to be free all the time on the other hand strikes me as another example of entitlement in gaming today.

Well, I'm speaking in general terms here; that split isn't the same every month. Sometimes it's 3 PS3 games sometimes only 2. PS Vita games are usually the same as the PSN picks, offered via the cross-buy system. 1 PS4 game to start with but I'm sure once we're into the 2nd year of the console it'll step up to 2 games etc.

You can't hold it against Sony for building a nice ecosystem between their devices and "devaluing" PS+ just because MS don't have a portable. I mean, going forward they could always include WinMo games and Win8.1 store games if they wanted to even it out.

I think you're right though about the indefinite ownership being the cause why only older games are offered. I'd certainly give that up if it meant it matched PS+. I can see why people think it's a negative because in their mind it's only "renting", but really you still have them tied to your account even if you let the subscription lapse. Expecting something to be free all the time on the other hand strikes me as another example of entitlement in gaming today.

I agree, I certainly don't hold it against Sony for including Vita in all of this, its a great way to push the console, no doubt. MS doesn't have a handheld to push, but maybe crossbuy across phones or the PC could be worthwhile.

I think one thing is clear though. MS has said Games For Gold is coming to the X1 sometime over the next year. If that turns out to be true, that means we will see more recent games. No more 5 year old titles :laugh:

No. But at least it actually is free. Unlike PS+, you keep the games even after your subscription expires.

Minimum PS sub is one month? Well a trial is that, 30 days to play and complete a 'modern' game vs something 7 years old? I'd wage most would prefer Sony's method vs MS' even if you are only renting. Unless MS can improve the quality/relevancy of their output, they might as well just 1:1 copy Sony. You need Live for everything else on the One just about, so it wouldn't really make a difference 'renting' lol.

Minimum PS sub is one month? Well a trial is that, 30 days to play and complete a 'modern' game vs something 7 years old? I'd wage most would prefer Sony's method vs MS' even if you are only renting. Unless MS can improve the quality/relevancy of their output, they might as well just 1:1 copy Sony. You need Live for everything else on the One just about, so it wouldn't really make a difference 'renting' lol.

Some people still prefer the old style of owning their games, so you would get people that prefer MS' method.

However, if copying Sony means more recent games, then I think most would be ok with it.

Some people still prefer the old style of owning their games, so you would get people that prefer MS' method.

However, if copying Sony means more recent games, then I think most would be ok with it.

What's the point in owning crap/stuff your 99% sure to already own?

Agreed, there isn't a problem with the quality of the games Microsoft are choosing (at least for most of them). The problem is how old the games are that it doesn't reward veteran owners. The only advantage for us is some of our favourite games get a 2nd shot of the limelight and MP becomes active (i.e Halo 3 had more players than Halo 4 in the month it was given).

It can still reward veteran owners.  I picked up Crackdown, DR2, and AC2 so far, games that I never owned even though I've owned my 360 since 01/2006 and have a collection of over 40+ disc games and probably 20+ XBLA games.  Just depends on the person.  They can't please everyone with each option.  More would be nice, but they don't really need to offer anything.  I'm happy they finally started to though :yes:

• Like 2