• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:16

Its pretty mind boggling that the ps3s successor would be missing multimedia functionalities that the ps3 had. One step back in multimedia, one large jump forward in gaming.

#17 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:20

Its pretty mind boggling that the ps3s successor would be missing multimedia functionalities that the ps3 had. One step back in multimedia, one large jump forward in gaming.

The previous head of Playstation division was about 1 box in your entertainment system to do it all.

He was there from Playstation 1, 2, and 3. 

After the PS3 launch fiasco, he semi-retired and Kaz (now CEO of all of Sony) took over. 

Not sure who's currently in charge over Playstation, however, I think sony went with a game focus first, multi-media 2nd. 

I do see the irony in the switch MS is not trying to be the one box in your entertainment center and PS4 was designed as a game console 1st role switch.

It might be in reaction to how difficult Sony had trying to advertise the PS3, and the confusion if it's a game console vs blu-ray player it caused. 

Sony didn't get the marketing right at first / launch. 

#18 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:25

The one thing that had me scratching my head was not being able to play music cds. Every PlayStation since the first one could play back music cds. Something tells me they were rushing to get the ps4 out to release.

#19 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:26

The hard drive being upgradeable has no baring on supporting local media files via an external device.

External drives are only being used for manual updates at the moment. Sony has made no claim to be adding proper external support yet.

I think it does, however have not tested it yet.

I'll have to check that out tonight, have not tried it yet.

The PS4 file system on a usb drive looks to be the same or similar as PS3.

Example, PS3 offline system update had to be in a folder labeled

Drive PS3\UPDATE\UPDATEFILE.PUP

Drive PS4\UPDATE\UPDATEFILE.PUP

Here's the PS3 Folder Structure for reference

http://ps3explained....lder-structure/

#20 OP benplace

benplace

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:35

So out of curiosity is the Xbox one able to do this? (I know its a PS4 forum but through reading this other people will want to know)

#21 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2013 - 17:47

I think it does, however have not tested it yet.
I'll have to check that out tonight, have not tried it yet.

The PS4 file system on a usb drive looks to be the same or similar as PS3.

Example, PS3 offline system update had to be in a folder labeled
Drive PS3\UPDATE\UPDATEFILE.PUP
Drive PS4\UPDATE\UPDATEFILE.PUP

Here's the PS3 Folder Structure for reference
http://ps3explained....lder-structure/

I have tried this on my own ps4. External drives are only useful for updates. That could change later of course, but Sony has made no mention of when that might change.

So out of curiosity is the Xbox one able to do this? (I know its a PS4 forum but through reading this other people will want to know)

The X1 does support dlna, which means it does support streaming from another PC or device.

It does support audio cd playback.

It does not support external storage yet either. Unlike Sony, MS has said that full external support is coming soon, including support for local file playback of mp3s and some video files.

Both consoles were rushed a bit to release now. You will see both evolve and improve software wise. Right now, the X1 has the edge for multimedia uses and has more promised support to come.

So again, if these things matter to you, those are the facts.

#22 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 27 November 2013 - 20:28

Sort of.  It has Streaming and such.. but no playing off an attached USB Device.   There have been rumors that Dec 15th will be the launch of the next PS4 update.. no word yet on validity or features.. though sony has confirmed MP3/DLNA support coming.  Which aside from CD Playback would put it at the same level as the XBone for media (at this point).

If you wanted something for MEDIA I would keep the PS3, or get something like the raspberry pi.

#23 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2013 - 20:40

Sort of.  It has Streaming and such.. but no playing off an attached USB Device.   There have been rumors that Dec 15th will be the launch of the next PS4 update.. no word yet on validity or features.. though sony has confirmed MP3/DLNA support coming.  Which aside from CD Playback would put it at the same level as the XBone for media (at this point).

If you wanted something for MEDIA I would keep the PS3, or get something like the raspberry pi.

If your wanting a game console that has media features more similar to the ps3 or 360, then that would be the X1 right now.

If your waiting on a console until early next year, well then just wait and see what updates both consoles have gotten by then. The X1 could have full external support and the ps4 could have dlna and MP3 support.

#24 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:52

If your wanting a game console that has media features more similar to the ps3 or 360, then that would be the X1 right now.

If your waiting on a console until early next year, well then just wait and see what updates both consoles have gotten by then. The X1 could have full external support and the ps4 could have dlna and MP3 support.

Eh.. ps3 can use external though.  You loose out going to the new generation if the purchase is based on media capabilities.

#25 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 27 November 2013 - 23:05

I get the impression that Microsoft and Sony are both shunning the ability to use their devices as complete media solutions for content you possess in favour of subscription models (be in cloud like Netflix/Spotify/Lastfm/Xbox Music or HDMI pass through to your cable/satellite operation for the Xbox One).

On that wonderfully positive note, got to love HTPC solutions these days!

#26 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 27 November 2013 - 23:10

I get the impression that Microsoft and Sony are both shunning the ability to use their devices as complete media solutions for content you possess in favour of subscription models (be in cloud like Netflix/Spotify/Lastfm/Xbox Music or HDMI pass through to your cable/satellite operation for the Xbox One).

That's my worry too

#27 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:00

Eh.. ps3 can use external though.  You loose out going to the new generation if the purchase is based on media capabilities.

You lose out for now, but since such features are promised, you can see where it is going.

His question was about next gen consoles and their media capabilities. He wasn't asking if he should keep using his ps3.

So again, if you value media capabilities in your next gen console and you need to pick one now, the best bet is the X1.

This is not some universal endorsement, just based on what the op wants to use it for.

I still lean on my htpc because of that.

I actually think its MS that gives us a better chance of seeing a console that can take over those duties with the X1. Mainly due to their laid out plans for unifying both the backend and app stores across all devices, including the X1. MS demoed Win 8 apps running on an X1.

If MS opens up the gates to a proper app store, we will see plenty of support for local media playback.

The developers behind Media Browser are chomping at the bit to get their app on the X1. They are currently talking to people at MS to get the ball rolling.