• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,319 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:07

Can't speak for OCZ SSDs besides what was mentioned above, but I found it interesting how some OCZ memory sticks would be discounted at 75% when the local computer shops have sales. Getting two bad pairs in a row for my desktop was enough to explain why.

#17 neoraptor

neoraptor

Neowinian

• 645 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:08

have a vertex2, health is still 100% and still like it

#18 TomJones

TomJones

Neowinian

• 394 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:10

OCZ's problems go back further than SSDs.  They also lost money on DRAM.

The company played accounting games to avoid showing how disastrous their finances were.  They just kept digging themselves deeper and deeper into the hole, until finally, they went bankrupt.

#19 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,528 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:10

Have had no issues with any of my OCZ RAM. Damn. That stinks.  :/

#20 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,158 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:15

Not surprised, they deserve it IMO. Granted my current SSD is an OCZ that is a few years old now (and still working), the one I originally purchased failed within 6 months, the first replacement they sent was DOA, the second replacement they sent was also DOA, the third one they sent finally worked and is still running today.

#21 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,498 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:16

I've had OCZ ram, power supplies, and 2 ssds. One SSD failed within a month, I RMA'd it and got a new one. No problems so far with it. RIP OCZ. :(

#22 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:28

Good news since I'm a strict Toshiba user

#23 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,804 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:40

Good, I have literally hundreds of SSDs in a pile here at work. Vertex 2s, Core 3, Vertex Plus, all broken and no data recovery can be done as they don't even power on.

#24 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 00:13

I sincerely hope someone takes over. It'll be a hell if warranties will be cut. Toshiba might buy and even honor SSD part (just as Seagate honors Samsung warranties), but how about the rest of the stuff? One allegeldy problematic OCZ ZT arrived just yesterday.

#25 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 00:28

RIP OCZ, bad management and lack of PR to change the bad view people had because of Sandforce controllers that turned good SSD into crap. :/

Also don't forget that one less competitor in this business means prices are going up for the rest of the others :(

#26 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

• 438 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 00:37

Good, I have literally hundreds of SSDs in a pile here at work. Vertex 2s, Core 3, Vertex Plus, all broken and no data recovery can be done as they don't even power on.

I always wondered if it is possible to recover the data by other means. Direct access to the NAND with another controller?

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,453 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:20

I sincerely hope someone takes over. It'll be a hell if warranties will be cut. Toshiba might buy and even honor SSD part (just as Seagate honors Samsung warranties), but how about the rest of the stuff? One allegeldy problematic OCZ ZT arrived just yesterday.

Seagate had to, Samsung didn't go bankrupt they sold the business. 

#28 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:34

Filing for bankruptcy (aka filing for Chapter 11) means getting a protection from creditors (those who the company owes money to).

The company isn't defunct yet. It can still go through a restructuring process and emerge from bankruptcy or another company can inject some cash into it in exchange for its stock.

It's a sad piece of news still, but it's too early to say RIP.

#29 Caleo

Caleo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,825 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 21:22

Here's hoping my vertex 4 doesn't die any time soon

#30 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,369 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:48

I always wondered if it is possible to recover the data by other means. Direct access to the NAND with another controller?

Depends on what the actual problem is with the drive, at a basic level - yes. Desolder the NAND chips, read them one-by-one into a hex editor, append them and you'll have an image of the drive, if there's a problem with one or more of the NANDs then you might not be able to do anything with the data, and if you used a drive with a sandforce controller; you're completely stuffed as all data being written/read from the drive is encrypted/decrypted on-the-fly by the sandforce controller using a key that is stored internally to the sandforce chip and usually a dead SF device means the encryption code was wiped.