I want to expand my RAM capacity

2GB of pagefile on a system with 8GB of RAM? wtf?

upper your page file or at least let windows manage it.

His paging file is just going to continuously get larger and larger then based on what he is showing us though. I guess that doesn't really matter if it isn't thrashing though (assuming he probably never goes back to the already open things all that much)?

Everyone I opened this many tabs to replicate the ram usage of 70% I had yesterday when I also ran out of memory and got the warning.  

I usually use around 60 in three different browsers. . 

Plus open pdfs.. research papers/journals with 30 pages etc even government reports with 600 at times.

This is why my ram usage gets so high.  I'll look into expanding the page file but I only have 30gb left and honestly in no time it reaches 10gb etc ... But I can use my HHD for paging. 

Also when I am doing research I open pdfs in the browser. .. 

Then I take breaks etc and do my normal browsing without closing the articles I began reading. . 

I watch videos. .facebook.. Read a bunch of other crap etc 

This is what i'm talking about ... 

86% and error message.. IE seems to be the main culprit 

Increase your RAM, it will solve this issue.

Other ways to help with this issue which wont cost you are:

Restart your computer every now and then which will clear some cached memory.

Use less resource intensive (smaller footprint) programs; Instead of Windows Media Player use MPC-HC for video, or winamp lite for music. Instead of using IE and Chrome just use Chrome (Keep adblock but also disable flash in chrome if you don't need to have it). etc.

Save open pdf's in browser to your computer so you can close the tab but still read it later.

Maybe even get Pocket (http://getpocket.com/) so you can save articles to it and read them later rather than keep them open.

Just curious, I'd like to know what field or research topic the OP is working in/for ?

Same :-)

Lol when I put new RAM in, Windows became corrupted and had to be reinstalled. 

I build desktops at work sometimes and that never happened  :/  Really knocked my confidence in fiddling with my own tech.

I have this question as well

"200? how do you know which tab is which"

Having that many tabs open just seems counterproductive to me - you would spend more time looking for something you had open then just reopening it, etc.

I can understand multiple tabs, I can understand multiple monitors - I would love to go to 3 or more vs just 2. But 200 tabs in one browser window does not seem productive to me at all.

To your issue specifically, I would change your paging file to allow expansion this would remove the hard limit you have. But if you want more ram, then sure go for it. As already stated gaming performance ram is pointless to spend the extra money on for what your doing with it.

I personally would look for what memory is listed by the maker of your MB on their HCL and with what meets your budget requirements. But some simple changes in your browsing behavior would be cheaper way to solve your current issue ;)

• Like 2

It depends on what pages Chrome has open not just how many.

Especially if the pages have flash...