Will Microsoft discontinue Windows RT?

winrt

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 +LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:45

An interesting article where they're speculating that Microsoft will kill of WinRT Windows RT entirely.

http://www.theguardi...rt-larson-green

#2 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:53

With Intel coming into (and probably eventually dominating) the tablet scene, I would expect yes.

I thought at one stage, Microsoft were going to implement an Intel x86/x64 emulation layer in RT (so it would be possible to run standard Windows apps).

#3 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:53

MS should merge win RT with windows phone.

#4 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:54

So there we have it, even forcing metro onto the desktop, couldn't get your ipad killer to take off.

Well done.

#5 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:54

It would make sense to kill RT and modify Windows Phone 8 into a tablet OS. Or, Microsoft would modify Windows RT to be cross platform with Winphone 8 minus the desktop. I like Windows RT on my Asus tablet, but it needs to mature a lot more.

Then if Windows Phone becomes a tablet and phone OS, then what is going to happen with Windows 8?

#6 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:55

It's going to become WinRT/Windows Phone.

I also don't agree that WinRT will survive on 8"+ tablets. It will be full Windows with desktop & Modern UI.

#7 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:07

No, you can't shorten Windows RT to WinRT. The title of this thread is very misleading.

#8 OP +LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:13

No, you can't shorten Windows RT to WinRT. The title of this thread is very misleading.

You're right -- I can't change the title of the thread (perhaps a mod can?).

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:16

I hope so... but I doubt it.

#10 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:20

Like LaP said, they will probably merge the Windows Phone and Windows RT codes and have one that runs phones and tablets, much like iOS that runs on phones and tablets.

#11 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:25

This is the most interestiong part of that article, to me.

Asked how Microsoft would compete in tablets, Larson-Green said: "with Apple there was an inflection point with tablets, or with phones, with touch…

There will be another inflection point and it's going to come from the hardware input model.

So that's why you've seen us doing things with Kinect, with gesture. You see us doing things with voice. There's one coming."

Asked how Windows on tablets could compete with Apple's app ecosystem, she said: "So you enable a new kind of app.

So [Apple] were very successful in creating a curated set of applications that took what most people were trying to do on the web and made it valuable to

do it on the device and created a model for them to get paid and all those things.

There will be another one of those coming is my belief. I think you already start to see some of it.

I think connecting apps to each other, because so many things are special purpose, you'll start to see new ways for apps to integrate across.

I think there's a lot that's going to come from the web in smart information about you and your location."

#12 TMYW

TMYW

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:29

Like LaP said, they will probably merge the Windows Phone and Windows RT codes and have one that runs phones and tablets, much like iOS that runs on phones and tablets.

No, they'll merge Windows Phone and Windows RT to run on ARM-based processors. The form factor is irrelevant. There will be both ARM-based and x86/x64-based tablets, notebooks, two-in-ones, and, yes, phones. Intel is already pushing Atom processors for phones running Tizen. Some Samsung Galaxy Tab 3s already run on Atom processors.

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:29

Um, MS has been hinting about their plans for some time.

The goal is to unify it all under one windows core and to unify an app model across all of their devices.

Windows RT will not be discontinued. Instead, it will merge with WP.

That will mean merging the features of both and the app store. Eventually, the idea is that it will all be windows and there will simply be UI modifications that suit the form factor.

So that means pcs get the desktop along with metro/WP features, while tablets and phones get the Metro/WP features. All would share an app store and updates/improvements could be more easily shared between them.

#14 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:35

I think merging Windows RT and Phone into one and having the apps be able to work on both will make it a stronger platform, just the same as Android and iOS.

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:40

Richard Windsor, who runs the Radio Free Mobile consultancy, commented: "I have long suspected which is that Windows RT will be killed off sooner rather than later. Always one to treat hot potatoes delicately, Microsoft has not explicitly said that RT will be terminated but has made it very clear that there will not be three operating systems. Windows RT is an orphan child that sits between Windows 8 and Windows Phone and is neither fish nor fowl. Hence the devices that are based on it are underpowered with hideously limited functionality on the desktop making them inferior to both Android and iOS tablets."

"I suspect that there will be no Surface 3 and no successor to the Nokia 2520 [an 8in tablet running Windows RT]. Furthermore I am confident that RT will be quietly put to sleep during 2014."

you couldn't find a bigger idiot on this planet.