Will Microsoft discontinue Windows RT?

winrt

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Emon

Emon

/dev/null

Posted 28 November 2013 - 20:35

They are just late in the game. Don't you guys remember what Google did with Honeycomb? Basically "Honeycomb==Windows RT" so MS's "Ice Cream Sandwich" will be "Windows RT+Window Phone"

#32 +ians18

ians18

Neowin's Best

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 & Lumia "Black" firmware

Posted 28 November 2013 - 20:43

It's much confirmed from earlier MS VPs interviews. Eventually there will be only two versions of Windows exist with Unified UI/Experience and App development

1. Windows Phone [supports upto 8" - ARM Processor]

2. Windows OS [Supports from 8" to anywhere - x86/x64]

And both platforms share same code/api and one app/market for all

Windows "Core" (ARM) won't just run up to 8" it will run on any device no matter the size. It is Windows, x86/x64 is NOT the future. In order for Microsoft to continue their RT strategy, they must support ALL screen sizes.

#33 OP +LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 21:54

It is Windows, x86/x64 is NOT the future.

I think you're right.  You can see their strategy with product naming alone.  Windows RT is now just Windows, and the x86 version is now the one being differentiated with "Pro".  That's not to say that x86 is going to die, but it'll probably be relegated to true power users in the future. 

#34 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:51

I don't think you're going to have a phone UI on your tablet, either the OS or Apps. I think it will still look basically the same as it does now. The UI will be determined by screen size, but the underlying OS will be the exact same.

currently
_image_13.png

once this is merged, then app developers would have to write only one app,and maybe scale their UI based on screen size.

I think that's a likely scenario, except I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than UI scaling -- perhaps have the apps in the same package, but whether it's a tablet or phone will dictate certain aspects of the interface beyond simple scaling.

#35 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:43

I think that's a likely scenario, except I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than UI scaling -- perhaps have the apps in the same package, but whether it's a tablet or phone will dictate certain aspects of the interface beyond simple scaling.

sorry,thats what I meant by scaling the UI, as in, the layout changes based on screen size, not stretching and moving controls around to fit. sort of like what happens when you snap an app,sometimes the layout changes to accommodate the smaller size snap view better. devs are already doing it. same idea.

#36 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:07

i said this long ago already. with cpu power and build possibilities progress RT will become obsolete over time. why running a crippled OS if you can run the real deal?

Except they aren't killing RT, they're merging it with Windows Phone. The trashy junk called The Guardian is just using it as click bait. Windows RT is no more crippled than Windows 8.1, why would I want to run any of the Autodesk Suite on a tablet when I have a desktop for that? 

#37 FreeJAC1310

FreeJAC1310

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2013 - 21:14

RT and Phone will eventually converge. For as long as enterprise needs the x86 version it will keep around. If MS gaming stratigies take off / if they keep AAA Windows titles on the desktop, then they will keep it around longer. I can't see them consede the desktop gaming market to Linux / Steambox.

#38 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:14

RT and Phone will eventually converge. For as long as enterprise needs the x86 version it will keep around. If MS gaming stratigies take off / if they keep AAA Windows titles on the desktop, then they will keep it around longer. I can't see them consede the desktop gaming market to Linux / Steambox.

I agree, although I do feel they will quietly kill off the x86 version of Windows and keep the x86-64 version around instead.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!