Laptop with SSD under 1000$?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:08

Hi, first of all I'm buying in Canada! I'm looking for a laptop between 13" and 15" with the following requirements:

- SSD >= 128GB

- Resolution >= 1600x900

- CPU at least as fast as an AMD Piledriver quad-core (i.e. A6 APUs for instance)

- RAM >= 4GB

- SD card reader

An ethernet port, and a DVD drive is a plus.

Looked at Dell and Lenovo so far, apparently SSDs are a luxury and only available on models above 1000$... Looking for something under that if possible. Thanks for the help.

#2 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:13

This looks pretty good

http://www.tigerdire...5214&CatId=4935

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:13

surface pro. get the type cover.

http://www.bestbuy.c...7&skuId=7952262

http://www.bestbuy.c...cover&cp=1&lp=1

Usb ethernet port is easy to get, dvd drive easy as well. built in sd card reader. 

Other than that have you thought about a ultrabook?

http://www.amazon.co...words=x1 carbon

I don't know how these rate against the amd processor.

#4 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:45

Surface Pro is always a good choice. If you're getting a conventional machine for the love of god don't buy one that comes with an SSD. Buy the cheapest hard drive option they have and buy your own SSD separately then swap it in yourself. Much higher quality drive for lower price than the OEM's.

#5 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:53

This one is $200 over the budget you said, but it doesn't have an SSD drive but it looks like a great laptop

http://www.tigerdire...2985&CatId=3998

#6 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:05

Surface Pro is always a good choice. If you're getting a conventional machine for the love of god don't buy one that comes with an SSD. Buy the cheapest hard drive option they have and buy your own SSD separately then swap it in yourself. Much higher quality drive for lower price than the OEM's.

yeah, that can be cheaper than getting an laptop with an SSD. also +1 for the Surface Pro.

#7 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:08

Don't let the the SSD be the deciding factor here! Just buy it separately instead. I think you'll be able find a laptop within your spec range for a price $800 or lower if you do that

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed other people said the same thing. Do it!

#8 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:18

Don't let the the SSD be the deciding factor here! Just buy it separately instead. I think you'll be able find a laptop within your spec range for a price $800 or lower if you do that

Spot on. I spent about $700 on my laptop and upped the RAM to 16GB and the hard drive to a 240GB SSD. The drives can be had for about $150 US. I don't know the current exchange rate to Canada, however.

Everyone has their brand of choice for drives, but here's the one I bought:

http://www.microcent...tate_Drive_(SSD)

Have fun shopping for your new system!

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:20

Spot on. I spent about $700 on my laptop and upped the RAM to 16GB and the hard drive to a 240GB SSD. The drives can be had for about $150.

Everyone has their brand of choice, but here's the one I bought:

I keep thinking about purchasing that because my 120GB 530 is filled up on my desktop... and everyone here keeps posting that deal today!

#10 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:28

apparently SSDs are a luxury and only available on models above 1000$

You are absolutely right. I was in the same shoes.

imho, your best bet is to get the best deal on a laptop you want and then upgrade to SSD by yourself by purchasing it separately.

A few months ago I did just that. I bought a 17" Dell Inspiron laptop for around $550 and threw away its HDD as soon as I received it :)

You'll spend less than $1000 this way and you'll get to choose the SSD you want without paying a huge markup on it :)

#11 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:33

Spot on. I spent about $700 on my laptop and upped the RAM to 16GB and the hard drive to a 240GB SSD. The drives can be had for about $150 US. I don't know the current exchange rate to Canada, however.

Everyone has their brand of choice for drives, but here's the one I bought:

Have fun shopping for your new system!

I'd suggest the Samsung 840 Pro. Intel currently has the premium price but doesn't have the hardware to justify it. Once they put their new in-house controller onto consumer drives I would jump straight back to recommending Intel. Samsung's early drives were pretty shoddy but their 830 and now 840 drives have taken over as the most reliable (and very good performing too) ever since Intel switched to sandforce.

#12 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:46

FWIW - A friend just bought an IdeaPad P500 that was from Lenovo's factory for $400.  (core i5 Ivy, 6GB, 750GB) - then paid another $100 for SSD 120GB.
So for $500 he has a nice laptop.

I would think a factory refurb could get you into something nice, well below $1000.  Then again, if you are looking @ $1000 range, you probably arent interested in anything but new.

A ThinkPad T-430 with SSD will cost you about $1500 - a refurb T420 with SSD will cost you about $500...

#13 Gary2MBz

Gary2MBz

Sneakier than your worst nightmare.

• Phone: AT&T iPhone 6+ 64GB - Space Gray

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:06

Another vote on getting a machine with a mechanical drive with met/exceeded specs to those you posted above. I got a Samsung 840 EVO fairly recently for my rig and the difference even without the "Magician" software Turbo mode, it feels snappier than the Crucial m4 SSD it replaces. You'll save plenty of $$$ and use some of it for a more powerful solid state than something the machine would ship with.

#14 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:17

I actually did the same to my 3-year old laptop. I threw out the normal old HDD and replaced it with an SSD. The memory got an upgrade to and now everything runs smoother then ever before.

PS. I see a lot of people recommending a Surface Pro. Is it that good of a laptop replacement for text processing and apps? 

#15 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:20

If you get the type cover, yes.