win7

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:20

Hello.

I was using Windows 8.1 for some months and decided to go back to Windows 7.

I made a backup of Windows 8.1 with System Image Backup [Backup and Restore in Windows 7] and I would like to attach that backup as virtual HD so I can pull some files, programs, settings etc.

Problem is the backup image file has been saved in VHDX format and Windows 7 do not support it for attachment.

I tried searching Google first but all the guides I saw were for Windows Azure / 8.1 / Server / Hyper-V / Power Shell and I found no guides or programs for Windows 7

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:29

Is there a reason you don't want to use Powershell? Just looking online the command to convert the file is really simple.

EDIT: Just to clarify, you are aware that Powershell is already installed on Windows 7, right?

EDIT 2: For the record, the command would be as follows:

PS C:\> Convert-VHD –Path c:\test\MY-VM.vhdx –DestinationPath c:\test\MY-NEW-VM.vhd

#3 OP MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:09

Is there a reason you don't want to use Powershell? Just looking online the command to convert the file is really simple.

EDIT: Just to clarify, you are aware that Powershell is already installed on Windows 7, right?

EDIT 2: For the record, the command would be as follows:

PS C:\> Convert-VHD –Path c:\test\MY-VM.vhdx –DestinationPath c:\test\MY-NEW-VM.vhd

Nope, I wasn't aware that Windows 7 had powershell.

Unfortunately the command does not work because Windows 7 Powershell is an outdated version or Windows 8.1 Powershell support more commands

sj89.png

#4 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:11

Download the latest version then:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40855

#5 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:14

Try to run the Power Shell in admin mode [Safe bet]. I can see you are running without Admin privileges.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:21

Yep, there is now Powershell V.4, and Windows 7 comes automatically with V.2. I'd suggest upgrading. Having just checked on my work machine I agree that convert-VHD doesn't get recognised as a cmdlet, but due to security policies I cannot upgrade to V.4 to test.

#7 OP MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:19

Updated to Powershell 4.0, still it doesn't work cause it needs some Hyper-V Modules which they are not available Windows 7.

Please other alternatives like a program for Windows 7

#8 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:24

VHDX was only available starting with Windows Server 2012 (Windows 8). Doubt you can convert it on Windows 7 without a 3rd party program

#9 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 14:52

Just convert it on a 2012 server or windows 8 machine to vhd, then use it. I would think someone you know has windows 8 runnig, if not just install it in VM, do the conversion that way ;)

#10 OP MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:04

Just convert it on a 2012 server or windows 8 machine to vhd, then use it. I would think someone you know has windows 8 runnig, if not just install it in VM, do the conversion that way ;)

Possible, but takes ages because some VMs tend to be slow

#11 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:31

What does that have to do with your question? You didn't state I need something to convert this vhdx to vhd and it has to do it in less than X seconds ;)

As to some VMs - ok, yes if you do not give them enough resources for what you want them to do, then sure they can be slower than if that os was running on the bare metal with full access to all of its resources. And therefore no issue of having enough resources to accomplish some task in a reasonable time, etc.

Heres the thing vhdx is new format, your not going to be able to convert this on a system that does not understand that format.. ie Windows 7 does not understand vhdx, so you need to convert it to something windows 7 does understand vhd, on a system that understands both vhdx and vhd..

This is common sense!

Lets say you have a beta tape. You have a video on the beta tape you want to watch on vhs machine. Can you copy this file to vhs if you only have vhs machines? No you need a beta machine to play the beta tape, which can then output that to a vhs machine that records it.

#12 Zephyros

Zephyros

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2014 - 16:23

Okay I am having a similar problem. I want to convert a .VHDX file to .VHD.

Windows 8
-Tried on windows 8.1 with Powershell admin -> CommandNotFoundException. 
-Tried installing updates(Lime master post: Windows Management Framework 4.0) all of them gave me an error -> The update is not applicable to your computer.

Windows server 2008 R2
-Installed Windows server 2008 R2 on new comp. Did all Windows updates -> CommandNotFoundException.
-Tried installing updates(Lime master post: Windows Management Framework 4.0) all of them gave me an error -> The update is not applicable to your computer except the Windows6.1-KB2819745-x64-MultiPkg. Ran the only update that worked and rebooted, still -> CommandNotFoundException.

cmd i've been trying
> Convert-VHD -Path e:\VHDs\User\myVHDX.vhdx -Destination e:\VHDs\User\myVHD.vhd

I've tested permissions by a simple mkdir and it worked so its not that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#13 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 25 February 2014 - 16:52

Okay I am having a similar problem. I want to convert a .VHDX file to .VHD.
Windows 8
-Tried on windows 8.1 with Powershell admin -> CommandNotFoundException. 
-Tried installing updates(Lime master post: Windows Management Framework 4.0) all of them gave me an error -> The update is not applicable to your computer.

Windows server 2008 R2
-Installed Windows server 2008 R2 on new comp. Did all Windows updates -> CommandNotFoundException.
-Tried installing updates(Lime master post: Windows Management Framework 4.0) all of them gave me an error -> The update is not applicable to your computer except the Windows6.1-KB2819745-x64-MultiPkg. Ran the only update that worked and rebooted, still -> CommandNotFoundException.

cmd i've been trying
> Convert-VHD -Path e:\VHDs\User\myVHDX.vhdx -Destination e:\VHDs\User\myVHD.vhd
I've tested permissions by a simple mkdir and it worked so its not that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Have you enabled Hyper-V management tools in the Windows Features panel (search for it in Start)?

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:01

you should be able to convert the file to vhd with the clonehd command in virtualbox's vboxmanage tool

http://www.virtualbo...manage-clonevdi

#15 Zephyros

Zephyros

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:57

@ Zhangm: It doesn't come up in start ->search. I checked Control Panel -> add Features and anything hyper-v isn't listed.
@ Brando212: Don't want to use a VM.

Thanks in advance for help!