55 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,508 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 29 November 2013 - 20:16

Along with millions of other people. 

the irony is that these people buy alternative because they don't trust big pharma and their greedy ways. there is NO companies in the world with as high profit margins as those selling and making natural and alternative "medicine". And unlike real medicine that is proven to work, theirs aren't, that's why theyr'e "alternative".  

I wish I could like this post 1000 times. ;)

Pharmaceutical companies can rationalise charging high prices for their drugs because they actually invest 100s of millions if not billions of dollars into research and development (you know ,that thing which makes sure the drug you're selling actually works)? In addition, a lot of them give away millions of dollars worth of vaccines and medicines to poor countries which otherwise couldn't afford them.

I don't like everything Pharmaceutical companies do, but I'll take Western medicine over snake oil and herbal remedies every day of the week.

#17 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,599 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 29 November 2013 - 20:22

much of it simply treats symptoms not the cause.   You buy tylenol.. it makes the headache go away but it doesn't correct WHY you had the headache.   Cough syrup removes the cough but doesn't treat the illness.  I know someone personally that worked for a pharmaceutical company, and she told me they often WANT side effects, and they purposely don't try and fight the disease right on.  With side effects, they can sell a new pill or existing pill, again to fight the symptoms. 

If the pill actually cured you, these companies would make no money as there is no need to keep buying their medications unless you are sick ALL the time.

Here is a  link for "Cancer Killing" aka, natural cures for cancer that don't destroy your body.. like chemo.

http://www.beacancerkiller.com/

Homeopathics(lol), and natural remedies (obviously within reason) should ALWAYS be sought, and over the counter medications should be a last resort symptom relief.

It takes a special kind of person to offer "cures" for a usually terminal illness who's outcome usually depends on fast detection and treatment.

Despicably evil and deadly for those gullible enough to fall for it. Natural Selection at work in 2013, I can only hope that those promoting this snake oil use it and get what they deserve....

#18 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 20:23

the irony is that these people buy alternative because they don't trust big pharma and their greedy ways. there is NO companies in the world with as high profit margins as those selling and making natural and alternative "medicine". And unlike real medicine that is proven to work, theirs aren't, that's why theyr'e "alternative".  

In related news...

http://www.suntimes....-cell-door.html

#19 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,031 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 29 November 2013 - 21:46

It takes a special kind of person to offer "cures" for a usually terminal illness who's outcome usually depends on fast detection and treatment.

Despicably evil and deadly for those gullible enough to fall for it. Natural Selection at work in 2013, I can only hope that those promoting this snake oil use it and get what they deserve....

Even with Fast detection and treatment there are no guarantees.  I've had family members pass away due to cancer (after they go into remission and it comes back).  Just because you don't agree with not going with standard medicine.. doesn't mean that it isn't something that can and does work.

#20 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,031 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 29 November 2013 - 21:49

They don't necessarily work.  More people die from pharmaceutical medications, side effects, alergies, etc than those that go the natural route.   But okay.. let's inject poisons and viri into our bodies because pharmaceutical companies say that we should.

#21 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 21:57

More people die from pharmaceutical medications, side effects, alergies, etc than those that go the natural route.

I am sure in another reality this could be true, but in this one, you could not be more wrong.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,784 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:06

They don't necessarily work.  More people die from pharmaceutical medications, side effects, alergies, etc than those that go the natural route.   But okay.. let's inject poisons and viri into our bodies because pharmaceutical companies say that we should.

100 000 people get real medical care for cancer, 5% of them die(usually a higher number depending on cancer, some cancer is almost 100% treatable unless you're late, some is only able to delay) despite the best medical care. that is 5 000 people who died despite getting the best medical care.

500 idiots get alternative medicine, 1 of them has a super immune system that clears his cancer, naturally without any evidence the herbs or jebus get the credit for curing him.

Guess what, with those numbers, you just proved that 10 times as many people die from getting pharmaceutical medication than from alternative treatments( in the real world the number is even bigger because the relative number of people going alternative rather than real science is so much smaller). 

It's this kind of BS numbers the alternative gurus throw out. the guys who site at the top of alternative medicine empires and make billions of of scamming poor people who only want to believe and have faith. unfortunately, the believers in alternative medicine, is in general not the hardest people to fool :/ and these peopel take advantage of that by pretending to be one of them. 

#23 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,599 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:06

Even with Fast detection and treatment there are no guarantees.

Did I claim there was ?

I've had family members pass away due to cancer (after they go into remission and it comes back).

And had they listened to you they wouldn't have those extra years.

Just because you don't agree with not going with standard medicine..

There is no such thing as "standard" medicine, Its just medicine.

doesn't mean that it isn't something that can and does work."

Show us the proof, Not blog posts. Not testimonial's lets see the studies.

They don't necessarily work. More people die from pharmaceutical medications, side effects, alergies, etc than those that go the natural route.

Source for this claim please.

But okay.. let's inject poisons and viri into our bodies because pharmaceutical companies say that we should.

Your ignorance of medical science is astounding. How else do you plan to kill cancer cells ? Water ?

And pharmaceutical companies might make an easy target but your literally up against the best and brightest of the entire world even your beloved china. Yeah they have hospitals in china who would have thunk it the ancient trash has been relegated to the western world and the fools who trust it there.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,784 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:07

I am sure in another reality this could be true, but in this one, you could not be more wrong.

He's right, in poure numbers, it's just that those numbers as I showed in my other post are meaningless as they show a bare fraction of the truth. It's a sick twisting of the truth. 

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,784 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:11

Also did you know that a certain horrible disease has been virtually eradicated form the earht thanks to yoru "toxic vaccines that kill many people" ? I don't recall the English name for it now. In America and Europe both, this disease that can be crippling or deadly for kids and adult alike is comign back. why ? because idiots are dropping the vaccine.  a vaccine that hasn't been proved to cause any deaths or severe side effects, and only have such a low number of possibles that it fall into statistical noise and can't be proven whether the vaccine had anything to do with it or not. 

So basically, instead of 1 in every 100 000 maybe getting a syndrome from the disease, you're trading 1 in 100 chance of getting a disease that could kill or cripple your kid. not only that, but by skipping the vaccine, you're not only endangering your kid, but other kids to. 

#26 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,599 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:20

So basically, instead of 1 in every 100 000 maybe getting a syndrome from the disease, you're trading 1 in 100 chance of getting a disease that could kill or cripple your kid. not only that, but by skipping the vaccine, you're not only endangering your kid, but other kids to.

true if it were not for the very real possibility of them harming others id be happy to let them put their faith in nature get the slow and painful death they deserve, Before the end comes they could opt for another natural remedy to their pain cyanide or arsenic!

Also did you know that a certain horrible disease has been virtually eradicated form the earth

Measles, mumps and rubella would be on that list if it were not for these "people"

#27 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:54

The debate about alternative medicine is a red herring....

Childhood leukemia has a 90% survival rate with proper treatment.

The girl would almost certainly survive her cancer, if her family would just let the doctors do their thing. Leukemia used to have a very low survival rate, even with the best treatment. So, not getting treatment is equivalent to a very bad gamble with a child's life.

#28 CUBBYJR2005

CUBBYJR2005

Neowinian

• 735 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:02

I feel sorry for the girl and though the family has a right to refuse. I personally even if my beliefs are shatter I rather have my girl live than take a chance on other types of medicines that may heal her.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:29

Must be a strict Old Order Amish sect because most Amish groups will use modern medicine. They have a problem.with the concept of buying insurance, but each community appoints a leader for a community-funded mutual aid fund.

I thought that most Amish would use modern medicine, especially in extreme cases. I guess you have your fanatics in any sect.

#30 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,967 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:48

The debate about alternative medicine is a red herring....

Childhood leukemia has a 90% survival rate with proper treatment.

The girl would almost certainly survive her cancer, if her family would just let the doctors do their thing. Leukemia used to have a very low survival rate, even with the best treatment. So, not getting treatment is equivalent to a very bad gamble with a child's life.

There are various types of Leukemia (childhood and adulthood) and while some have a high number of survival rate(between 85% to 90%, depends on the study age), other don't have such high number. Even so, i prefer medicine to treat something that has a high percentage of cure than alternative unproven, unstudied medicine; we just hear the successful cases, but what we don't hear (because it's not cool to talk about these) is the high number of unsuccessful ones. And yeah, i know what I'm talking about, more than most of the Neowinians.