Amish Girl, Family Flees US to Avoid Chemotherapy

Maybe your reality is anecdotal :)

i wish. :(

ALL has a high degree of success but also a high degree of a re-incidence during treatment. AML, on the other hand, the success rate is lower than ALL but during the treatment the re-incidence rate is also lower than ALL.

Also that study you presented includes US (more than 50% of results), being a bit skewed for my country, where the percentages are lower; similar, but lower.

Saying that i must also say that some (don't know the percentages) of the deaths of the childs that have ALL/AML but because they die from another decease (by having a very debilitated immune system everything can be potential dangerous, even some of the meds can provoke infections like pancreathites) don't count towards those stats, meaning they are even more skewed. :(

i wish. :(

ALL has a high degree of success but also a high degree of a re-incidence during treatment. AML, on the other hand, the success rate is lower than ALL but during the treatment the re-incidence rate is also lower than ALL.

Also that study you presented includes US (more than 50% of results), being a bit skewed for my country, where the percentages are lower; similar, but lower.

Saying that i must also say that some (don't know the percentages) of the deaths of the childs that have ALL/AML but because they die from another decease (by having a very debilitated immune system everything can be potential dangerous, even some of the meds can provoke infections like pancreathites) don't count towards those stats, meaning they are even more skewed. :(

Sorry, I didn't realize how insensitive that comment could be last night :pinch:  What I meant by anecdotal is that maybe your personal experience has skewed your perception of the reality, as is typical with anecdotal evidence.

Those stats come from the American Cancer Society, and are published in peer reviewed publications.

What independent studies were/are you citing that aren't skewed?

When has it ever been uncommon to disregard secondary causes of death that aren't directly related to the illness being researched in a medical study? That is done precisely to keep the study from being skewed.

At this point, you're taking umbrage with how the American Cancer Society has conducted itself, and it's research, since 1952. Maybe you should write them a letter.

I actually deeply hate this "alternative" medicine crap people are talking about. Y

Same here. I don't think 99% of them work and all they seem to do is to give people a false hope.

Let's be clear: there is no such thing as "alternative medicine".  "Alternative medicine" is essentially an oxymoron. If something is effective it stops being "alternative" and just becomes medicine. If a natural remedy works to relieve an ailment we study it to understand why it works.

What gets me is some people who will go ballistic if you call an alternative medicine they are taking a drug. I mean, what? The definition of a drug is something you ingest or otherwise introduce to the body to produce a physiological effect (whatever that may be, obviously). That would include an "alternative medicine" as much as anything else you take. There is no "natural" cures or "natural" medicine. If you take it to get better, get high, lower pain symptoms etc it's all drugs.

Anyways, I'm kinda shocked that this Amish family "fled" the country. Aren't there plenty of places in the US that will treat people with things other than chemo and radiation? Or were they just worried about being prosecuted and/or arrested? I suppose since the county/state took their rights away for making medical decisions for the girl they felt they had no choice. Either way, I hope whatever treatment she's getting is helping somewhat.

Got to love the terms, natural remedies, and alternative medicine. So that'll be untested then, but the terms make them sound like a viable alternative. Chemo isn't nice, but along with surgery it is your best chance of surviving cancer.