My friends Xbox One is broken

I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far....

On a side note,  LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is  TON OF FUN....I give it a 9/10...  Kinda don't regret choosing it over Ryse and BF4

LEGO games are all fun. Specially in coop with kids XD. Had ton of fun with my daughter playing LEGO indi in coop. I got to play Ryse a bit yesterday and i must say well i'm actually a fan of the shoot 'em up and beat 'em up genres and my first impression of the game is meh not worth the full price wait for it to be under 40$. If Ryse was a 360 game with 360 gfx quality few people would actually care about it.

Even if a large percentage is bad as long as MS and/or Sony honor the warranty and sort things out before the warranty period is over i don't see this as a problem at all.

true. ms came out of the rrod thing perfectly fine, because of the generous warranty.

Just because his system broke, doesn't mean you have to quit liking Microsoft.. They shipped over a million units.. Of course there are going to be some bad ones.. It happens with anything to be honest.. I'm just a lot of us have ordered something DOA before. They gave him a free game, they didn't have to do that.. That is going beyond standard customer service.. 

A close friend of mines received his Day One: Xbox One from Amazon just like I did on launch day.  We both hooked it up around the same time as well.

We both discussed the pros and cons of the system and so forth.

Now lets fast forward a week later.  My friend's Xbox One has bit the dust.  It started while he was trying to get into Battlefield online match, it wouldn't let him in, and not only that, it would also freeze up his Xbox One.  He quits out of the game outright and tries to go back in, and this time the game disc won't read...  Turns off the Xbox One and turns it back on, makes sure all games and apps are closed, ejects BF4 disc puts it back in, the disc won't read...  Ejects disc, and puts in NBA2K14, tries to play it, no disc is recognized at all.

Calls Microsoft, they put him through the usual unplug cables and such.  Make sure all game and apps and such are closed (usual scripted walk through's when you call support)...

Uninstall game and Re-Install game (which takes forever as it is), disc is recognized again, but there is a disc read error..   

They are shipping him a coffin and giving him a copy of Dead Rising 3 as a "I'm sorry gift"

I've been on a pro-Microsoft tour as of late, but that is reversing mighty fast.  And this goes for more than Xbox at that.

Yes, my Xbox is fine.  But seeing the Xbox One's dropping like flies.  I have to wonder, how long will mines be fine for...

Well, were you not paying attention with the 360 RRoD was widespread?  I don't know a single person who picked up an Xbox 360 within the first year of release that didn't have the RRoD.  Still, all the Xbox fanboys came out in droves defending and downplaying what was a very obvious and widespread problem.

MS is good about their warranty support at least...  and their out-of-warranty repair service isn't too bad.

Well, were you not paying attention with the 360 RRoD was widespread?  I don't know a single person who picked up an Xbox 360 within the first year of release that didn't have the RRoD.  Still, all the Xbox fanboys came out in droves defending and downplaying what was a very obvious and widespread problem.

MS is good about their warranty support at least...  and their out-of-warranty repair service isn't too bad.

I've been through the RRoD...

All electronics break, there seems to be more right now because of the high volume / high visibility of the launch event. The price doesn't matter, it can happen to a $5000.00 CAD workstation. Be ****ed at the Xbox One and Microsoft if they don't give you good customer service when their stuff does break! That is when a company shows their true colours. I think the RROD fiasco with the 360 has taught MS a-lot about how to take care of their customers. I'd take the free game to be inconvinienced for a few days / weeks.