Photo

My friends Xbox One is broken

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:29

Its not xbox one fault but its the xbox one's optical drive fault.

That kind of disc-jamm are quite common occurrence on slot-loading type,

which why I prefer non slot-loading whenever possible,

whenever disc-jamming happened, it would have less devastating effect,

compared when it happened in slot-loading drive.

#17 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:37

I am impressed with Microsoft response time to this at least.

They are trying to get the console to him, by Monday (and he called during Thanksgiving).  They allow him to keep the cables and his Day One Controller.  and things of that nature.  Just has to return the physical console (just like during the RRoD days)

Edit: And he gets a free game.  It's a sucky way to get a game, but at least it's free.

#18 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:50

If only that were true for all of us ;) :p

Yeah :(

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:15

I've been on a pro-Microsoft tour as of late, but that is reversing mighty fast.  And this goes for more than Xbox at that.

Yes, my Xbox is fine.  But seeing the Xbox One's dropping like flies.  I have to wonder, how long will mines be fine for...

Honestly there's right now absolutely no proof about the PS4 or One broking at an unusual rate for launch systems.

Yes some of them will break or be DOA. More than later in the life span of both consoles. Specially since lot are being sold right now. It sucks. But it's not a reason to have a negative opinion of a product. MS honored the warranty and sent him a new console with a  free game.

I understand that lot of people got burned last gen. I was one of those with 2 broken consoles (RRoD on launch model and DOA HDMI port on elite model). But right now there's no proof the failure rate is anything close to what we have seen last generation with the RRoD.

Both consoles so far seem to be handling the workload very well from what i can gather in reviews and in real life with my friends.

#20 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:23

Honestly there's right now absolutely no proof about the PS4 or One broking at an unusual rate for launch systems.

Yes some of them will break or be DOA. More than later in the life span of both consoles. Specially since lot are being sold right now. It sucks. But it's not a reason to have a negative opinion of a product. MS honored the warranty and sent him a new console with a  free game.

I understand that lot of people got burned last gen. I was one of those with 2 broken consoles (RRoD on launch model and DOA HDMI port on elite model). But right now there's no proof the failure rate is anything close to what we have seen last generation with the RRoD.

Both consoles so far seem to be handling the workload very well from what i can gather in reviews and in real life with my friends.

My experience with the One has been exceptional so far.  It just works.  At least for me.

Reading about a few failures online doesn't really cross your mind much.  But when it happens to you or a friend.  It kinda makes you think of it a little bit more.  

This was my mindset on the Xbox One's failure rate on Wednesday 11/27/13:  %.0001 failure rate.

Here's my mindset on the Xbox One's failure rate on Friday 11/29/13  %80  (YES THIS IS A PARANOID EXAGGERATION AND DOES NOT ACTUALLY REFLECT THE FAILURE RATE OF THE XBOX ONE)

#21 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:24

its becomes a problem if a large percentage of the product is bad. this is not happening. its just a tiny amount of bad drives at the moment.

Even if a large percentage is bad as long as MS and/or Sony honor the warranty and sort things out before the warranty period is over i don't see this as a problem at all.

The RRoD was a problem because initially the warranty period for the 360 was 3 months only (the warranty period of both the One and the PS4 is 1 year i think which is a lot more reasonable). Lot of first year 360s broke after the short warranty period was over and well before MS extended it (i think MS extended the warranty period only 3 years after the launch). People with a broken 360 were stuck with a brick and had to pay to repair it or sell it on ebay. There was back then like over 10 pages of search results for the keywords RRoD XBox 360 on ebay.

Right now things are looking perfectly normal. It's a launch product. Some people will have problems. MS and Sony will honor the longer warranty and replace the problematic systems and both will likely sort things out before fall of next year.

#22 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:25

THIS IS A PARANOID EXAGGERATION

Enough said.  Get over it and enjoy your new toy.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:26

Normal stats for electronics is a 5% failure rate, even with the massive media hype about the PS4 failures, they are supposedly far below that. even under a single percentage. so by all accounts, both consoles despite being high failure rate electronics, are well below the average failure rate. 

#24 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:31

Reading about a few failures online doesn't really cross your mind much.  But when it happens to you or a friend.  It kinda makes you think of it a little bit more.  

Yeah i agree and understand. Perfectly normal. In fact one of my friend just got a DOA XBox One last weekend. The HDMI port was not working. He was frustrated a lot lol. He had two RRoD last gen too so right now he is totally ****ed off about it.

Right now i'm waiting. I wont touch the One or PS4 before fall of next year just in case ;) Anyway i want to see what the Steam Boxes will look like before making a decision.

#25 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:40

Enough said.  Get over it and enjoy your new toy.

I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far....

On a side note,  LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is  TON OF FUN....I give it a 9/10...  Kinda don't regret choosing it over Ryse and BF4

#26 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:59

I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far....

On a side note,  LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is  TON OF FUN....I give it a 9/10...  Kinda don't regret choosing it over Ryse and BF4

LEGO games are all fun. Specially in coop with kids XD. Had ton of fun with my daughter playing LEGO indi in coop. I got to play Ryse a bit yesterday and i must say well i'm actually a fan of the shoot 'em up and beat 'em up genres and my first impression of the game is meh not worth the full price wait for it to be under 40$. If Ryse was a 360 game with 360 gfx quality few people would actually care about it.

#27 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:04

Even if a large percentage is bad as long as MS and/or Sony honor the warranty and sort things out before the warranty period is over i don't see this as a problem at all.

true. ms came out of the rrod thing perfectly fine, because of the generous warranty.

#28 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:06

true. ms came out of the rrod thing perfectly fine, because of the generous warranty.

Costing them $1B is not perfectly fine, not in anyone's book.

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:08

Costing them $1B is not perfectly fine, not in anyone's book.

Especially not in MS' book.

#30 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:20

Just because his system broke, doesn't mean you have to quit liking Microsoft.. They shipped over a million units.. Of course there are going to be some bad ones.. It happens with anything to be honest.. I'm just a lot of us have ordered something DOA before. They gave him a free game, they didn't have to do that.. That is going beyond standard customer service..