240,000 bottles of beer destroyed

Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) - Police enforcing Islamic law in Nigeria's city of Kano publicly destroyed some 240,000 bottles of beer on Wednesday, the latest move in a wider crackdown on behaviour deemed "immoral" in the area.

The banned booze had been confiscated from trucks coming into the city in recent weeks, said officials from the Hisbah, the patrol tasked with enforcing the strict Islamic law, known as sharia.

Kano's Hisbah chief Aminu Daurawa said at the bottle-breaking ceremony he had "the ardent hope this will bring an end to the consumption of such prohibited substances".

A large bulldozer smashed the bottles to shouts of "Allahu Ahkbar" (God is Great) from supporters outside the Hisbah headquarters in Kano, the largest city in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north.

Kegs containing more than 8,000 litres of a local alcoholic brew called "burukutu" and 320,000 cigarettes were also destroyed.

"We hope this measure will help restore the tarnished image of Kano," said Daurawa.

Since September, the Hisbah have launched sweeping crackdowns and made hundreds of arrests in Kano following a state-government directive to cleanse the commercial hub of so-called "immoral" practices.

19df8df99e3a2195c31d03aa8a272e3762a45ec3.

The 9,000-strong moral police force works alongside the civilian police but also has other duties, including community development work and dispute resolution.

more

That's alot of broken glass.  Geniuses, why not pour it out and recycle the bottles?

You do your part to conserve, and then ###### like this happens.

You'd think that in a world that is constantly being told not to waste, somebody would've had the foresight to sell the whole lot to someone whose religion doesn't prevent them from consuming alcohol.  Demand for 240,000 bottles of beer hasn't disappear--more will be produced to simply replace it.  Now nobody's any better off, except maybe for beer companies.

Its just a publicity stunt probably due to losing the war against "Western Influences" or some sort of guff.To be honest people will just brew it at home much like the Americans and Irish have done for centuries.

I'm sorry, but this whole anti-alcohol thing just reeks of control....

did muslims not drink fermented drinks during the middle ages in the middle east? because history has shown they they sure did drink fermented drinks since they first showed up... and it was fine then... why's it not fine now?..

Does the Qur'an say anything about being wasteful? All of those bottles most certainly could have been reused as others have said.

Edited by skiver
Breaking forum rules

Could have exported it? Sold it to foreigners visiting the country? Sold it to neighbouring countries who have no such ban?

Sorry, those are logical and rational solutions.

• Like 2

For those suggesting it should have been sold, selling and even producing it for consumption is prohibited. And it's illegal because its intoxicating. Anything that enables one to lose self control is haram. I won't divulge into why, there are plenty of examples around you. And no, Muslims never drank fermented drinks since after the revelation prohibiting alcohol and swine came. I too believe the right course of action would have been to use it for fuel instead of destroying it.

For those suggesting it should have been sold, selling and even producing it for consumption is prohibited. And it's illegal because its intoxicating. Anything that enables one to lose self control is haram. I won't divulge into why, there are plenty of examples around you. And no, Muslims never drank fermented drinks since after the revelation prohibiting alcohol and swine came. I too believe the right course of action would have been to use it for fuel instead of destroying it.

You can't use beer for fuel. It's only between 4-10% alcohol at best.

Anything that enables one to lose self control is haram. 

So becoming a fanatic or zealot is haram? A lot of those guys seem to be completely out of control.

Problem is that other than for pure control reasons these religious bans on clothing, drink and activities have no real valuer or need, then or now, and I'm a fairly spiritual person, but no group of people with vested interests is going to tell me what I can drink, wear, or do, that's between me, my soul/mind/heart, and God/Allah/Buddha/XX Deity you follow

For those suggesting it should have been sold, selling and even producing it for consumption is prohibited. And it's illegal because its intoxicating. Anything that enables one to lose self control is harmful.

I have never lost self-control, when drinking. ;)

Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) - Police enforcing Islamic law in Nigeria's city of Kano publicly destroyed some 240,000 bottles of beer on Wednesday, the latest move in a wider crackdown on behaviour deemed "immoral" in the area.

The banned booze had been confiscated from trucks coming into the city in recent weeks, said officials from the Hisbah, the patrol tasked with enforcing the strict Islamic law, known as sharia.

Kano's Hisbah chief Aminu Daurawa said at the bottle-breaking ceremony he had "the ardent hope this will bring an end to the consumption of such prohibited substances".

A large bulldozer smashed the bottles to shouts of "Allahu Ahkbar" (God is Great) from supporters outside the Hisbah headquarters in Kano, the largest city in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north.

Kegs containing more than 8,000 litres of a local alcoholic brew called "burukutu" and 320,000 cigarettes were also destroyed.

"We hope this measure will help restore the tarnished image of Kano," said Daurawa.

Since September, the Hisbah have launched sweeping crackdowns and made hundreds of arrests in Kano following a state-government directive to cleanse the commercial hub of so-called "immoral" practices.

19df8df99e3a2195c31d03aa8a272e3762a45ec3.

The 9,000-strong moral police force works alongside the civilian police but also has other duties, including community development work and dispute resolution.

more

I keep thinking of the beer song