Photo

battlefield 4. do I have to use origin?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:41

Hey, I just bought battlefield 4 for $20 from Origin. am I really tied to using their software in order  to play? it forces me to use a webbrowser and download plugins... I just want the game, not all this extra crap on my computer.....

Is there a good solution to get ride of origin and just play the game? I really want to return the game if it's tied to this other POS. 

thanks,

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:45

The Battlefield 4 server match/profile pages have to use a Browser to show you your stuff and join a server. It's not a big deal, not sure why everyone makes it as such.

#3 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:49

You got an option to get a refund with this "POS" service, so just do that.

#4 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:02

You have no chance to avoid, make your time.

#5 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:16

I think that Battlelog was actually quite a smart way of doing the BF3/4 "main menu". You get lots of functionality, it's easier to maintain than an in-game GUI, and you don't have to launch the game in order to look at your stats and servers and stuff.

To answer OP's question, you have to use Origin/Battlelog. There's no other way of playing Battlefield. If you're that set against it, EA allow you 24 hours to request a refund. If you choose to refund the game will be uninstalled and your money returned to you. :)

Edited by Majesticmerc, 29 November 2013 - 23:58.

#6 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:47

I think that Battlelog was actually quite a smart way of doing the BF3/4 "main menu". You get lots of functionality, it's easier to maintain than an in-game GUI, and you don't have to launch the game in order to look at your stats and servers and stuff.

Server browsers belong in the game you're browsing them for. Forcing you to have to use a web browser is a step backward. It's like we went back to the days when you had to use something like gamespy to find a server in quake 2.

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:52

Server browsers belong in the game you're browsing them for. Forcing you to have to use a web browser is a step backward. It's like we went back to the days when you had to use something like gamespy to find a server in quake 2.

Actually being able to modify my load out, view the battle map on a 2nd screen, view my stats, join a server, see details on servers, and more.. all from my browser is perfect.. I don't want to have to go into a game to do all of that.

#8 _-Psycho-_

_-Psycho-_

Oh no

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:23

I think battlelog is a great way of doing things. Works MUCH better then any ingame server browser i've ever used. And as people have said, i don't need to launch the game to look at stats and change my loadout. I disliked it at first as well, but i've come around, and it's far superiour to any other multiplayer game i've used.

#9 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:47

Then they'd have to reintegrate the server browser and achievement platform for every game.  They tried having it in game (and out) for Medal of Honor: Warfighter and the in game version was very limited.

This way you can customize your loadout and other stuff without spending a lot of time loading the game first, as well.

#10 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:07

Yeah, I actually like how its implemented as well. I hated Battlelog initially with BF3 but have now come to really like it for BF4. Plus, anytime I'm in a queue, can just pop to another browser tab while I wait. 

#11 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:33

Given you have paid for the game and own it, you could crack the game, i obviously cant post any likes here. That's the only way you could play without Origin and you probably would not be able to play on-line with a modified copy of the game either.

#12 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:20

Given you have paid for the game and own it, you could crack the game, i obviously cant post any likes here. That's the only way you could play without Origin and you probably would not be able to play on-line with a modified copy of the game either.

Only thing is, you do not own the game.

#13 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:50

Only thing is, you do not own the game.

Well if you have paid money for a licence to use the game that's as close to owning it as you will ever get. I could justify cracking the game for my own personal use with that in mind, life's too short to worry / care about technicalities like that.

#14 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:55

20$ only? How?

#15 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 November 2013 - 13:30

I agree it's annoying when you just want to quickly launch an offline game..