Apple maps now better than Google maps

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

• 807 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 16:42

It may have struggled with some quite high-profile errors in its early days, but Apple's latest improvements to its Apple Maps platform have not only helped it catch up with venerable geospatial giant Google – but will make Apple Maps far more relevant in the long term.

Those are harsh and difficult words from someone who, like all of us, has marvelled for years at the utility of the Google Maps Web service and the immersive worldwide journeys made possible through the Google Earth application. But they are a reality that bears addressing.

Google will always hold the significant achievement of bringing the literally world-changing geospatial technology to the mass market, but Apple's decision to incorporate its now-very-impressive Maps application into its Mavericks operating system reflects a significant change in the user experience that will give it far more clout in driving the standard for interactive consumer mapping into the future.

Some questioned whether including Maps in the operating system was a simply gratuitous nod to the increasing incursion of iOS user-interface tropes into the desktop Mac OS X environment.

Anyone so inclined should run up a full-screen instance of Maps on their 27-inch iMac, using Apple's Magic Trackpad to spin, zoom and fly through 3D renderings of cities around the world. It's a novelty on an iPhone, but on a 27-inch screen it's literally an adventure.

Sure, you can do much the same with Google Earth, which has been available for Macs for some time. Both will also help you find your way to new places pinpoint accuracy, exploring a broad range of maps.

Read more: http://www.zdnet.com...aps-7000023782/

#2 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,108 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 30 November 2013 - 16:55

I doubt anything is ever going to do better than Google's gigantic database of businesses, points of interest, public transport integration, ... That's where Google's strength lies. Apple Maps does look nice though.

#3 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,812 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:12

Article above in a nut shell "Apple maps looks great on a big screen and so does Google maps" Why did they even bother writing this article at all?

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,013 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:17

Not sure myself with personal experience even with the latest builds apple maps is still lacking a lot of detail and their local level maps are still wrong where I live as well as just not having the businesses listed like google.

#5 acido00

acido00

Software Developer

• 1,517 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:26

It is true. in fact Apple maps are more up-to-date than the one of google.

#6 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:35

I doubt anything is ever going to do better than Google's gigantic database of businesses, points of interest, public transport integration, ... That's where Google's strength lies. Apple Maps does look nice though.

One of the core strengths of Apple maps since day 1 was their larger business archive. Apple always had a larger business database.

#7 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,418 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:36

Apple maps now better than Google maps

Apple's latest improvements to its Apple Maps will make Apple Maps far more relevant in the long term.

Apple's decision to incorporate its now-very-impressive Maps application into its new Maverick operating system reflects a significant change in the user experience

I'm not convinced.

#8 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:36

Google maps was launched in 2005, and still is far from perfect. I am highly skeptical that Apple's maps, that's 1 year old, is better than Google maps. Map making isn't something that can be perfected in one year!

#9 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:37

It is true. in fact Apple maps are more up-to-date than the one of google.

Not in my town. In the new neighborhoods build within the last two years, google maps already has all the street names whereas Apple maps doesn't.

So I use both on my iphone

#10 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:39

Article above in a nut shell "Apple maps looks great on a big screen and so does Google maps" Why did they even bother writing this article at all?

I found it funny when he went "Apple Maps on a 27 inch iMac, zooming around is an adventure, sure you can do it on Google Maps too". I felt like he was going to go somewhere with that line, like point out a flaw on Google Maps, or point out something good about Apple Maps, but no.

Was his entire point that Apple Maps will somehow be better due to it being on OS X? Even if every OS X user switched, Google Maps would still have the bigger share. When I had my last iPhone, Apple Maps told me my nearest pub was 40 miles away, living in England this is impossible  :rofl:

#11 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:45

http://appleinsider....fic-in-one-year

#12 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,466 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:50

I guess you just need to carry a 27" inch screen round with you and all will be fine :D

#13 thommcg

thommcg

Neowinian

• 1,235 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:50

"enjoying an aggressive multi-platform strategy"

Those not using iOS and/or OS X might disagree with that...

#14 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,812 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:51

I found it funny when he went "Apple Maps on a 27 inch iMac, zooming around is an adventure, sure you can do it on Google Maps too". I felt like he was going to go somewhere with that line, like point out a flaw on Google Maps, or point out something good about Apple Maps, but no.

Was his entire point that Apple Maps will somehow be better due to it being on OS X? Even if every OS X user switched, Google Maps would still have the bigger share. When I had my last iPhone, Apple Maps told me my nearest pub was 40 miles away, living in England this is impossible  :rofl:

Yeah exactly my thoughts. It just seemed like a guy that had used it for the first time, was impressed and decided it was "TEH BEST THING EVERZ".

There was no well rounded argument, no feature comparison, nothing. In fact, having just gone in to the office to try it out and Google maps still beats it for me.

#15 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:57

You guys should read the whole article and not just the insert on Neowin. It' goes into saying that this is for the long term and not necessarily currently.

From now on, the operating system will simply assume access to detailed, glorious maps is available as a core service. This means they'll be able to use OS calls to provide interactive mapping that is tightly bound to the application at hand – rather than forcing applications to jump into a Web browser for maps because there's no guarantee Google Earth is installed on a particular user's desktop.

That's the point he's trying to make and it makes perfect sense